Wanted to know

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

UberFish
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Wanted to know

Post by UberFish »

Hey guys im a newbie.
Ive been shopping for an FTO for the last month after a long 3 years of dreaming about getting one. Im hoping to get one by the end of the year...
I'm looking at a price range of about $19,500 and lower, seeing as i really cant afford anything more atm being on an apprentice wage and all.
Could you guys give me a suggestion on what you think is worth getting :o
I found this on the net http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/marketpl ... ws=500[url]
Is that a good price or do you think i should ask them to knock it down for me?
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!
Mmmmmm Cant wait till i get one!!!!!!
WILL
Grease Monkey

Post by WILL »

Look around first.
If you are in victoria then speaking to the following people:

J-spec
j-spec.com.au

or UPI
upimports.com.au

They can help you out regarding pricing and conditions
UberFish

Post by UberFish »

I nearly went fot a test drive yeaserday. But there was only one dude at the shop. He said i could have booked in a drive for trursday but i had to fly home to mildura last night.
Ah next time im down i will
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Nothing wrong with GR's. I found that insurance on a GR is cheaper and theres a few GR's that have been on this list that kick GPX's arses.
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
Adriano
Grease Monkey

Post by Adriano »

just curious what mods these GRs' got.... i've got a GR too and just wanna know how i can make it as fast as a GPX....
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Supposedly Rick's GR (he no longer has that car) was unmodified except for the exhaust...we all just called his car a freak (don't know why it was so fast).

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
UberFish

Post by UberFish »

What is a good one to get if your on your P's. Who's here that is?
Also how much would i be looking at for insurance? rough prices would be good. are there any insurance places that are better then others..
UberFish

Post by UberFish »

Hey thats cool, im not liooking at that exact one. I'm thinking a GPX would be nice
JSP-INC
Grease Monkey

FTO

Post by JSP-INC »

Fto's are quite cheap down in Melbourne...
I would say try and find a GPX Manual... But it's upto the person i suppose!!!!
You should be able to find a GPX for under $20k for sure!!
Also check your insurance Premiums.
As a guide, i am paying $2k as a rating 3... Age 24
Minor mods!!

Jun
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

frankly i'd save up just a little bit extra and pay $2-4K more for a GPX model instead... afterall, it's gonna cost you more than $4K alone to make up the 27kw deficit (factoring in the insurance, parts & labor). ...besides, even if you can afford the mods to make up the extra 27kw, you will never get the MIVEC sound and 8500rpm redline, haha...

ANYWAYS, be patient and look around man... i assure you it'll be well worth it (as i learnt the hard way)
kaveman
Grease Monkey

Post by kaveman »

hey, gav and me have GR and we give all the GPX a run for there money

a GR manual is as quick as a tri GPX, if not a little quicker

dont know about manual GPX as we haven't had any to play with

if you find one you like and can afford it, just get it

robert
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

o2nv you I can tell you really hate grs, constantly knocking them,but what is this mivec sound ?? I have been in many gpxs and I cannot hear any sound which cannot be heard in my car. oh also im not sure where you got the 27kw difference, its actually less then 6kw difference at the wheels (dyno Figure) and beeing nearly a 100k lighter I cannot see and justification to how yopu think the gpxs are soo much quicker, possible a version R against a tip gr may show a significant difference, but not the 27kw you speak of, I know many places say different values but the highest I read was 27hp differencem so surely you are mixed up.
4k seems a lot in mods to show a 5kw difference I have seen a GR with just a unichip and filter pull 10 kw more then any other gpx on the same dyno. I have also seen some gpxs pull as little as 55kw at the wheels on a dyno, this gr nearly pulled 100.
One more thing I have played with many GPX Mans and put them to shame. Im waiting for the day you bring yours to sydney and kaveman and I show your what gr's are capable of
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

SETTLE DOWN lol... :P :P

EDIT: seriously, before any sh*t fights flare up again let me clarify:

1. i never knocked on any GRs - i merely stated my preference (and since when was that ever a crime??). if you can find a thread or post by me that specifically bags on GRs, let me know and I'll gladly show you what i really mean if you're keen to know how i usually bag about others. :wink:

2. i never said nor implied that GPXs are "sooo" much quicker than a GR. if you think your GR can beat manual GPXs, good for you - i ain't questioning or arguing anything with you. don't get me wrong - i got nothing against GRs but given the choice i'd rather not settle for them - each to their own. plain and simple don't you think?? 8)

3. (a) ok, so i mixed up b/w HP and KW (:roll: ), but the deficit in power i was specifically referring to is the flywheel figure FROM THE MANUFACTURER IN ORIGINAL TRIM. i didn't come up with those figures out of thin air myself and i'm sure you should already know those numbers very well by now but whether you believe those factory figures or not, that's your problem. 8)

(b) if you can't hear the difference between a MIVEC engine and a GR engine at redline, you need to get your ears checked because this is a widely publicised and well known feature of the MIVEC engine. If you staunchly disagree about this, then are you implying that 95% of all GPX owners worlwide are deaf (including motoring journalists who carried out the test drives)?? 8O

(c) the GR is only up to 60kgs lighter, not 100kg as you previously stated. :P

4. if you can get 100kw out of a unichip and filter on your GR, good for you (and i wish the best for all other GR owners out there). again, i have no disputes or anything worthwhile to waste my time arguing on, so if you have the dyno or qtr mile slips to prove it, do us a favour and scan 'em online for us all to envy or be proud of. :lol:
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

hey ill give you a run in my GPX Hehe
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

1. I guess it is your opionion, have you driven/raced a gr, cause i guess it would be a biased opionion. I guess you havent bagged out grs as such, but made gpxs look soo much better.
2. I can understand that a gr is a model lower down then the gpx, But i bought my car at a time where there was no price difference and it turns out my car was wuicker then a gpx any ways
3a. I realise this figure is at the fly wheel but as i have said before I never trust a manufactures claim expecially on a car which is 5+years old
3b. I admit that all 2l ftos sound f**ken horny ! but I cannot hear much of a difference, if any, when you change at 5k+ do you hear a similar sound to a bov ? when deaccelerating does your filter hiss, these are some nice sounds I har from mine, and I dont have an airfilter or exaust. I understand many people including journalist clal this the mivec sound, and maybe my car has similar valve timming, Im just notconviced that this is indeed cause by "mivec" mainly because none of the toyota vvtis make any extra horny sounds
4.Sorry your are indeedc right with 60kgs it has been a while since I have looked at factory specs
5.It was erkans car which I was talking about with the uni chip, etc pulling 100kw, Ihave got similar results on my gr (but am yet to find a reason for it) but this is with a slipping clutch, I have also beaten an fto which pulled 120kw at the wheels, which is why I would like to get another reading (now i have my clutch replaced)

And finally I did not mean to start a cat fight, I would just like your opion on grs to be a little more educated :)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

dannyboyau wrote:hey ill give you a run in my GPX Hehe
oh come on danny, pick on someone your own size, LMAO...!! ;):D

...actually no, you can fly the flag for all of us GPX owners, whaddya say?? hahaha...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

G_A_V wrote:1. I guess it is your opionion, have you driven/raced a gr, cause i guess it would be a biased opionion. I guess you havent bagged out grs as such, but made gpxs look soo much better.
as matter of fact i have driven both GR and GPX (in tip & manual), which led to my decision to buy a manual GPX at the end of the day. as a side note, i have never raced other GRs or GPXs on the streets, but why did you think they picked a GPX to race in the GTP instead? i don't mean to defame GRs as such by unjustly beautifying GPXs coz after all at the end of the day, an FTO is an FTO, whichever model that floats your boat is nobody else's business. ;)
G_A_V wrote: 3a. I realise this figure is at the fly wheel but as i have said before I never trust a manufactures claim expecially on a car which is 5+years old
don't you mean the sales pitch that the import yard dealers are shoving down buyer's ears on a daily basis?
G_A_V wrote: 3b. I admit that all 2l ftos sound f**ken horny ! but I cannot hear much of a difference, if any, when you change at 5k+ do you hear a similar sound to a bov ? when deaccelerating does your filter hiss, these are some nice sounds I har from mine, and I dont have an airfilter or exaust. I understand many people including journalist clal this the mivec sound, and maybe my car has similar valve timming, Im just notconviced that this is indeed cause by "mivec" mainly because none of the toyota vvtis make any extra horny sounds
OK, now i suspect that you have not really heard a MIVEC in action before... MIVEC is not about filter hiss or BOV-like noise. if you have driven a type-R Integra before, you will clearly notice that the engine note(not exhaust/filter) changes dramatically at 5000rpm+ all the way to 8500rpm.

It's like 2 different engine tones in one package - it sounds just like a GR below 5500rpm, but once you reach past the MIVEC kick-in point, the engine note completely changes. not as abrupt and violent as the old-school VTEC YO!!!!!, but smoother yet noticeable nevertheless. all that hissing noise from the filter when accel/decellerating are just 'added extras' to go with the song... ;)

to best put it into perspective, just imagine as if you're playing a song on CD at normal speed, and all of a sudden you play the tune at 1.5x the speed... this rough comparison probably won't do it justice, but i really can't think of another way to describe it.

I don't know much about VVTi's so i'm not gonna speculate anything about them, but i always do my research and use my prior experience to good use, but if you think you can educate us more about GRs, by all means share it with us - afterall, isn't this what the forums are for? ;)