fto mivec controller, which one should i buy??

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO2sxy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

fto mivec controller, which one should i buy??

Post by FTO2sxy »

i was just lookin at this site
http://www.mitsubishi-fto.org/parts/ele ... index.html
its got d list for all the electrical gadgets u can get.

does anyone have any recomendations for a mivec controller. do they really make a difference when combined with fuel controll, or there not work the money?? any recommendations would be appreciated and prices as well if possible???
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

As for difference in performance, I don't think they really make a difference unless you have swapped your cams with some different cams.

Although I hear if you set your mivec point really high (eg 9000 rpm) you can get some really good fuel economy (although you may lask some power).

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

this has been a well documented issue - unless you've done some work to the MIVEC head / cams, frankly i don't see the point of fitting a MIVEC controller. Altering the factory-set MIVEC activation point will only make you lose power... it might make the car slightly more streetable ifyou lower the MIVEC range, but the top end will definitely suffer...
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Eh, I've actually moved the engagement point just a little to smooth out the torque curve during a dyno tune. The changeover RPM was fairly choppy before and now it's smooth *shrugs*

It's just another one of those tunable things but don't expect to get HP gains from a MIVEC controller.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

MADFTO wrote:Eh, I've actually moved the engagement point just a little to smooth out the torque curve during a dyno tune. The changeover RPM was fairly choppy before and now it's smooth *shrugs*

It's just another one of those tunable things but don't expect to get HP gains from a MIVEC controller.
which one are you using?
elmo
Grease Monkey

mivec

Post by elmo »

My understanding is that Mitsubishi has spent MILLIONS developing this technology after they spent MILLIONS buying it off Honda.

Changing the MIVEC kick in will only move the power not increase it and it may even drop it, if too early.

Changin cams??? Well tell me a workshop with the resources of HONDA and Mitsi and the research and development funds to make such a cam. Anyone who tells you they can do it is guessing, cause they don't really know how it works and I'm sure the Mitsi team have a few better graphs etc to help them.
I'm not saying it cant be done, just would you trust someone to put an experimental cam in your car? Let alone maybe a dozen of em until they get it right.

Moving the Mivec would of course be benificial on a turbo mivec cause it would allow the performance cam to come in with the turbo. But other than forced induction... why bother??
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

02NV: V-AFC.

elmo and others: you must remember, not all engines out of a plant come out the same. There are tolerance variables in any manufacturing process which might alter peak effiency. Also, it depends on the consumables and external factors used in running the engine, (fuel RON ratings, average ambient temperatures of climate, oils, etc)

Basically what I'm trying to say is that the Mitsubishi Engineers, would have designed the FTO for Japan's Conditions, so there might be a few changes needed to make it more efficent in other enviroments.

Also the fact that your FTO would have been sitting on a container for 3-6 months at some point of its life doesn't help =)

It's just one of those factors you can tune, Cams would have designed to be meshed at a certain rev range (Not a set mark but a range). The point where it is most beneficial will be dependant on external factors.

That is why tuning a car is an artform, not a pure science. You can't account for every variable these days, there's just too many =)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: mivec

Post by GPXXX »

elmo wrote:Moving the Mivec would of course be benificial on a turbo mivec cause it would allow the performance cam to come in with the turbo. But other than forced induction... why bother??
i know someone overseas who actually lowered their MIVEC activation point down to 4700rpm (with just exhaust & filter mods) just for better driveability around town... sure, you lose top end power but when you drive in a city where the traffic barely goes above 80kph, how often and where would you hang about 8000rpm??

Eric, have you moved your MIVEC point any lower before and how did it felt on the road? Will it stuff up anything internally by altering the MIVEC activation point (without tuning or running an aftermarket ECU)?
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

Honestly, I don't see how lowering the mivec point would make it more drivable. The higher cam lobs take over from the lower lobes just before the point where the lower lobes start going out of their effiency range . . . I've ran the Mivec without the solenoid connected and I pull around 89kw at the wheel max peaking around 6000 I think.

I did try to run it lower at one point but it felt like a dog on my setup . . .

It won't affect anything but fuel economy though, you shouldn't damage the engine, if you set it too low, the car will sound lumpy =)
Austin
Apprentice

Post by Austin »

toda make cams for the fto as do a lot of jap perfromance places in Japn itself. I'm pretty sure hks Kansai also do 'em. Most good work shops whould be able to make some or adjust the ones you have by usually welding some metal on then basically grinding it down to change the actuall degree of the lobs etc....However they would be veryu lumpy down low as i used to have a spec r mivec controller and could have the second cam kick in at 100 rpm whcih made it lumpy.

Brent
WILL
Grease Monkey

Post by WILL »

Are you sure toda makes cams for the 6A12???

I know they make cams for th BA and KA series engines for Honda.

Also for HKS Kansai, the only stuff they make for the FTO is the bodykit (front bar and wing) and strut braces but not cams for thr 6A12
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

RPW makes performance camshaft upgrades for the FTO. Check out your options below:

http://www.rpw.com.au/New%20Website/Per ... shafts.htm

...and as for Kansai, yes they only make aeroparts for the FTO. Toda only makes engine parts for the 4G63B Evo motor.
quatters

Post by quatters »

do any of the other Japanese tuners make 6A12 cams? HKS? JUN?