Bonnet Scoops/Vents

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FUZION
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Bonnet Scoops/Vents

Post by FUZION »

Thinking of getting a bonnet scoop or vent..

Seems a cheaper alternative to trying to find a nice Project F Bonnet :P

Project F Bonnet
http://www.iris.any.jp/nono/ProjectF2002.htm

Generic Scoops/Vents
http://www.odysseyautosports.com.au/bod ... scoops.htm

Anyone know of any issues with them?

Any issues with rain etc?
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

Main issue ive been warned about with vents etc, is that you obviously have to cut through the bonnet, this is easy enough to do, but supposably kills the resale value of the car - particularly to car yards!!! I guesss with an FTO it might not have such an effect as a standard car as they appeal to a different type of person! You would not want to put a vent over important engine parts though??
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

that's not the main issue. The main issue is if they are legal or not. Becuase i can't get my car registered because of the vent. Firstly find out if they are legal from the company that's selling it) than think about anything else. The main reason is that if a pipe bursts the fumes/oils might go on your windscreen (this refers to the ones that face the windscreen)..........that's what they said anyway. So if the bonnet scoop facing the windscreen just check it out with your local transport centre.
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

I don't mean to be rude, but why would you bother with a bonnet scoop on a FTO, it would ruin the cars looks bigtime, IMO :P 8)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

d_stroy_r wrote:that's not the main issue. The main issue is if they are legal or not. Becuase i can't get my car registered because of the vent. Firstly find out if they are legal from the company that's selling it) than think about anything else. The main reason is that if a pipe bursts the fumes/oils might go on your windscreen (this refers to the ones that face the windscreen)..........that's what they said anyway. So if the bonnet scoop facing the windscreen just check it out with your local transport centre.
dunno about WA regulations, but in Vic you won't get fibreglass bonnets rego'd or roadworthy because during a frontal collision, the f/b bonnet will crumble into smaller pieces and endanger bystanders instead of crush-bending the metal (as designed by the factory crumple zone) upon impact.

however, bonnet vents are a grey thing because although they are fibreglass, they do not pose significant risk during an impact but because you are cutting into the sheetmetal of the bonnet to mount it, you are effectively compromising the structural integrity of the bonnet... so at the end of the day i guess it's up to the engineer/rwc tester's discretion...??
FUZION
Apprentice

Post by FUZION »

Think i'll simply give it a miss for now :P but thanks for the info