General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bryan
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

buying a 1995 fto

Post by bryan »

Hi guys,

Just looking to buy a 1995 GPX fto with abt 150k. Juat wandering what are the reviews of the car? Are they reliable? Any issues?

Many many thanks all.
Daniel2019
Oldtimer

Re: buying a 1995 fto

Post by Daniel2019 »

Issues can arise with any car. FTOs generally arent too bad, but you have to watch out for past body/chassis damage that has been repaired and roof rust. Most pre-1997 FTOs will have roof rust or have had it. Steer clear if possible, its a good few grand to fix properly.

Cracked centre consoles are another thing, about 400 to replace both centre and floor console. Also the sunroofs are unreliable (due to age probably) and very expensive to replace if somethings busted. Opt for a non sunroof model if you can, or one with an aftermarket sunroof. You can tell that the sunroof is aftermarket if it still has the grooves on the roof. If it is just a flat roof then its a factory sunroof.
I fix cars.
Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

c3rbera
Mechanic

Post by c3rbera »

An FTO almost isn't an FTO without a cracked centre console haha...and yes, roof rust you need to check for. My sunroof is still fine but it rattles from age. Window rattle is pretty much standard with these too (easily fixed though!). If my buy teaches anyone something, test the A/C to see if that works too...I didn't.
Be prepared for alternator/stepper motor replacement at some point if it hasn't already been done. Stepper motor causes weird idling, and even complete engine cut outs in neutral.
But yes, just bare in mind these cars aren't getting any younger.

Also don't go for 5spd auto if that's what you're looking at, 4 is fine but 5 has issues.

Anyone feel free to correct me haha.
silverGPX wrote:Nice supra
Manual '95 GPX
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

Daniel2019 wrote:Issues can arise with any car. FTOs generally arent too bad, but you have to watch out for past body/chassis damage that has been repaired and roof rust. Most pre-1997 FTOs will have roof rust or have had it. Steer clear if possible, its a good few grand to fix properly.

Cracked centre consoles are another thing, about 400 to replace both centre and floor console. Also the sunroofs are unreliable (due to age probably) and very expensive to replace if somethings busted. Opt for a non sunroof model if you can, or one with an aftermarket sunroof. You can tell that the sunroof is aftermarket if it still has the grooves on the roof. If it is just a flat roof then its a factory sunroof.
Just wanted to pitch in here, The sunroof on my '96 has had no issues at all :) no leaking or mechanical problems, for the time being :)
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
bryan
Apprentice

Post by bryan »

Ok thanks guys ill definitely look at into that. Any other features I should take note of?
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

Buy a manual instead of an auto if you can.... and make sure you buy a GPX or GPvR....you will thank me for the Mivec roar someday. :)

And welcome to the club!!
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

c3rbera wrote:An FTO almost isn't an FTO without a cracked centre console haha...and yes, roof rust you need to check for. My sunroof is still fine but it rattles from age. Window rattle is pretty much standard with these too (easily fixed though!). If my buy teaches anyone something, test the A/C to see if that works too...I didn't.
Be prepared for alternator/stepper motor replacement at some point if it hasn't already been done. Stepper motor causes weird idling, and even complete engine cut outs in neutral.

Also don't go for 5spd auto if that's what you're looking at, 4 is fine but 5 has issues.

Conveniently, your status is changed from Newbie to Apprentice. :cheers:
Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU
c3rbera
Mechanic

Post by c3rbera »

ObsidianRadio wrote:
c3rbera wrote:An FTO almost isn't an FTO without a cracked centre console haha...and yes, roof rust you need to check for. My sunroof is still fine but it rattles from age. Window rattle is pretty much standard with these too (easily fixed though!). If my buy teaches anyone something, test the A/C to see if that works too...I didn't.

Conveniently, your status is changed from Newbie to Apprentice. :cheers:
Haha dude I still feel pretty awkward posting here actually. Ought to chat about nothing in particular just to raise ranks...
silverGPX wrote:Nice supra
Manual '95 GPX
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

Daniel2019 wrote: Most pre-1997 FTOs will have roof rust or have had it. Steer clear if possible, its a good few grand to fix properly.
Depends on your repairer really. Mine is getting done - rust cut out, new plates welded in and a complete roof respray - for $600.

One thing you'll find with an FTO, we have an awesome community here that is very friendly and willing to help out.
Sahin
HULK

Post by Sahin »

XenaP wrote:
Daniel2019 wrote: Most pre-1997 FTOs will have roof rust or have had it. Steer clear if possible, its a good few grand to fix properly.
Depends on your repairer really. Mine is getting done - rust cut out, new plates welded in and a complete roof respray - for $600.

One thing you'll find with an FTO, we have an awesome community here that is very friendly and willing to help out.
Where are you getting that done? I know you live a fair whack away but that's cheaper then the quotes I've been given by miles
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

Just down the road :) And fair whack is only about 3 hours away :roll:
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

XenaP wrote:
PM contacts please!!!

How long you had to leave your car there?

Thanks!
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

I can't PM you his contact details as I don't know them. I just drove down to his shop and asked :) I will, however, go down there tomorrow and ask him for them. Another panel beater here gave me the same quote, but their work has a bit of a reputation for not being 'top notch'. Not dodgy ... I'd have taken any other car to them, but not perfect either. And the FTO has to be perfect LOL

He said I would have to leave my car from Monday morning through to Thursday afternoon (he doesn't work Fridays).
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

So that means we are crashing at your place for four days while the roof rust gets fixed, right? :)
XenaP
Grease Monkey

Post by XenaP »

:lol:
bryan
Apprentice

Post by bryan »

Thanks for all the replies guys... cheers hopefully my FTO will serve me well :D
shadowarrior
Tightarse

Post by shadowarrior »

bryan wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys... cheers hopefully my FTO will serve me well :D
It's not about how well the FTO will serve you...it's all about how well you serve the FTO.... :)
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

$600 yeah for the first one then realises what a shitcunt of a job it is.

That is if he does a good job.

Paying for the paint and clear,remove the roof liner, cut the roof rust out, weld new plates in, smooth the surface, prep the surface, paint the roof and at the same time blend it with the pillars.

Anyone else after Xena is gonna pay $1000 - $1200 to do that.

Alone its $150-$200 for the paint.

So assuming mechanics rates of $70/ hour that's really not much for him to make a profit on it.
Vectose
Forum Moderator

Post by Vectose »

You should also pop in to the shop while it is being done, to make sure he is actually doing it properly and not just filling the holes with bog.
Bennoz wrote:
Technikhaus wrote:What is in said Bens big penis by the way?
A whoooole lot 'o jism 8)