NOS and MIVEC

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Kets
jedwabna poszewka promocja

NOS and MIVEC

Post by Kets »

Dose anybody know how strong these mivec motors are? Was thinking about get a nos kit 50horse single injector wet system but woried about wrecking stuff. My mate had a 75horse kit on his standed lancer after 1 bottle it melted holes through the pistons. Do mivecs have forgies or semy forged or crap pistons? Dose anybody run nos? Do u know? just wanna beat a rex without going forced induction.
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

even at 50hp i would say you would do some damage.. best bet is to go down to one of the perfomance places and ask... im fairly sure the FTO has the same type of pistons (material used wise) as the lancers..
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

I was thinking of putting a 100 hp twin nozzle system beacause i heard it gives amazing power gains (read in a HOT 4's mag).

The guy didnt have any aftermarket pistons or any other internals in his 1.6 VTEC YO!!!!! civic and got 180 kw at the wheels (with only 80hp shot)!!!!!!!!!!!!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

d_stroy_r wrote:I was thinking of putting a 100 hp twin nozzle system beacause i heard it gives amazing power gains (read in a HOT 4's mag).

The guy didnt have any aftermarket pistons or any other internals in his 1.6 VTEC YO!!!!! civic and got 180 kw at the wheels (with only 80hp shot)!!!!!!!!!!!!
trust me, it's only a matter of time until those twigs break...!!

i believe the std pistons/rods on the MIVEC are not forged so with std internals, it's only a matter of time until the pistons/rods spit the dummy... because it is such a high- compression motor, i think the pistons are near their molecular threshold before something breaks, and by inducing NOS you are essentially cramming more detonation (hence higher combustions temps)

don't forget, you are also slapping on a lot of horsepower in an instant unlike turbos in which it is more of a gradual process... I'm not a metalurgical expert, but surely you are inducing some kind of thermal shock onto the factory pistons with a NOS setup.

Personally, i wouldn't fit NOS on my GPX without upgraded pistons, because to upgrade them in order to run NOS reliably will still cost less than a turbo conversion anyway, so i'd rather not skimp... Do it once, do it right! :wink:
Last edited by GPXXX on Wed Jun 11, 2003 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

the key is to have a nos controler that advances the timing as the the nos burns lots quicker than normal fuel so the damage is caused because the nos causes detonation when it burns so quickly that it actually tries to push the piston back wards before it reaches top dead centre. so you need to have a contoller or piggy back computer designed for nos, that advances the timing at the same time as you hit the nos, thus preventing engine damage by having the correct timing for the type of fuel you are running
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

REMEMBER - NOS IS ILLEGAL ON THE STREETS, AND I BELIEVE I'M SPEAKING ON BEHALF OF THE FORUM THAT WE DO NOT CONDONE ITS USE ON PUBLIC ROADS! :wink::)

...bring on the drag strip, that's where the fun begins haha! :wink:
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

Well Said 02NV... but theres no reason you cant install it and leave it un hooked.. thats legal in Melbourne.. you can just have it there for the rice factor!! lol...

although i must admit.. the amount of times some dude in a skyline or a rex goes belting past me.. i just want to be like the guy in fast 'n furious at race wars in the Honda.. " to soon junior" (push button)... VROOOOMMM!!
EXC
Apprentice

Post by EXC »

if you use your nos and somehow get into an accident,e ven if it is the other persons fault, you can be up for being arrested please be aware of this. It is a huge risk and you will be up for serious endangerment not to mention many other charges.
d_stroy_r
Mechanic

Post by d_stroy_r »

nothing get more attention then a big blue nos bottle in your boot :lol:

gr8 4 shows and gr8 4 drags (legal).

I would love 2 c over 150kw at wheels without a turbo...........nos is the cheapest way.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

d_stroy_r wrote:nothing get more attention then a big blue nos bottle in your boot :lol:

I would love 2 c over 150kw at wheels without a turbo...........nos is the cheapest way.
not very legal or safe in a rear-hit accident though! :wink:
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

02NV wrote:
d_stroy_r wrote:nothing get more attention then a big blue nos bottle in your boot :lol:

not very legal or safe in a rear-hit accident though! :wink:
do a Fast n Furious and put them inside the passenger seat!! ;-)

then people can wack you up the arse as much as you like...

hang on.. that last sentance could be taken out of context!!

oops
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

seems like you're missing out on a bit of spanking action eh Mark? LMAO... you looooove being a bad boy don'tyou?? :wink:

hmmm... i swear i saw that cop from the Village People down Chapel street the other night.... hahaha
Kets

Post by Kets »

Thanx guys I'll do some shopping around and see what the go is with that piggyback system that can controll ignition timing.

I plan 2 youse nos leagaly, ofcorse!
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

02NV wrote:seems like you're missing out on a bit of spanking action eh Mark? LMAO... you looooove being a bad boy don'tyou?? :wink:

hmmm... i swear i saw that cop from the Village People down Chapel street the other night.... hahaha
all i have to say is...

It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.
It's fun to stay at the Y.M.C.A.
They have everything For young men to enjoy.
You can hang out with all the boys.

hmmm... maybe i shouldn't have said that... oh well.. like they say on sienfeld..

"Im not *~delightful!~*!!... not that theres anything wrong with that!"
elmo
Grease Monkey

elmo

Post by elmo »

Hey guys this guy just asked advice about gettin NOS and ended up gettin a full lecture. We all know the laws (well sort of) and the consequences of our actions. As adults we should be allowed to make descisions and face the consequences.

If you want NOS so be it. Don't automaticall assume when someone asks that this is for a street only car....

I've been told, the FTO has a relatively long manifold which means you will probably need two injectors for even flow and reduce the chance of leaning a cylinder or two. Onle wet NOS is really suitable.

There are links on the UK sites to guy who have done this with 50hp kits and good results. Some have gone up to the 75 and 100hp kits and melted sh*t. Its all gotta be done right. So get someone who know what they are doin.

BTW, I was under the impression that NOS lowered the combustion temperature, that is why it is used on many forced fed drag cars, cause it lowers the cylinder temp and allows more fuel and air to be rammed in.
I have been wrong once before though.....

I'm sure you'll try to put me in my place.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Yes Nitrous Oxide or (N20) breaks down to form Oxygen (which is where all the power comes from) and Nitrogen (which is very cold).

Because it is so cold, it is commonly also used in soft serve icecream machines.

It was also used as a anaesthetic (happy gas / laughing gas) espescially in dentistry. The stuff used for autmotive purposes though is mixed with other stuff so you won't inhale it (or so I hear).

A good tuned nitrous set-up should not cause any problems. Although too much instant power can always cause a variety of problems eg drive train.

The trick with nitrous is to always make sure there is a good supply of fuel. Nitrous should only ever be used at wide open throttle (what). Many nitrous kits come with either a microswitch that sit under the accelerator pedal or electronics that detect when you are at what.

Nitrous alone does not make power, it is when it is mixed with fuel and burnt that you get power. Running a high octane fuel is always good to do.

Nitrous kits can be cheap to set-up, but can be expensive to run (gas runs out quickly).

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
bulldog

NOS and Mr. Whippy

Post by bulldog »

Does this mean that I should be worried next time I line up at the lights next to my local Mr. Whippy van??!?

That could be embarrassing :wink: :lol:
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

That depends on where his hoses are running to ;)

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

Hey,
just read an article in UK performance mag. in newsagencys now...its like $13 so i didnt buy.
Has a silver FTO in there that the guy has done a lot of work too..
He has nos in his FTO said it gets hits FTO from 0-60mph in 5.5 - pretty quick! its attached uner his horn.
The guy also has two 7inch exhausts - they look ridiculous as well as some cool DVD set up etc.
he has had no problems with NOS....
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

which magazine was it?? was it banzai? max power?

i wonder what else he's done to the motor for the NOS setup, but if his words are legit (ie: timeslips) and he can really get 5.5sec for the 0-60 just with NOS/exhaust/filter mods alone, that's quite impressive!

was it tip or manual? did it also say how many HP shot of NOS it is currently running?