[b]Turbo FTO[/b]

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

princessblade
jedwabna poszewka promocja

[b]Turbo FTO[/b]

Post by princessblade »

Hey just wondering if anyone has a turbo FTO and was wondering how hard would it be to put in a GPX.
If anyone has anything to say about please tell me :twisted:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

which state are you in? Danny (dannyboyau) is from Perth and he runs a 6A13 twinturbo motor, whereas EXC (Angela) is from Adelaide and she's got a turbo'd MIVEC tiptronic... There is also one or two running in Melbourne (but don't see them much online) and i believe there is also another 1 or 2 in Sydney.. Not sure about Qld though...

if you are after general info about turboing an FTO, there is already a thread about this on the following link:

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... opic&t=154

If you need to know any more details, feel free to ask! :wink:
Last edited by GPXXX on Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

only 2 things to say...

1) bloody expensive...

2) lots of bloody fun!
princessblade

Post by princessblade »

was that twin turbo standard, if not how much was your set up. i am in Qld
Do you think you can put a GTO engine in the FTO that would hammer
princessblade

Post by princessblade »

oh i really like fun and fast cars.
princessblade

Post by princessblade »

Thanks heaps for that link it was a great help. :lol:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yeah if u like fun & fast car, get a Porsche 911 - 996 Turbo. heheheehheeh

Anyway u going 2 have a mighty hard time 2 try 2 put a GTO engine into a FTO!!! Plus the GTO engine wasn't that good of a design & if u try 2 put it in a smaller engine bay like FTO, with all the weight at the front, i don't think u going get much performance out of it, hmmmm all i can say is good luck!!
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

RPW is also making a single bolt on type turbo system for the FTO.. its almost compleated.. they should have a price out soon... see RPW.com.au

or this link

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... opic&t=214
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

a GTO engine will be a very very tight fit in the FTO bay and it will also upset the weight balance of the car because i believe the GTO engine is very heavy as well...

the twinturbo motor is standard on the 6A13 because it came from the VR4 Galant, and it's best to speak with Danny about this because he has experience ewith them first hand... It makes the same power as the GTO, but less torque due to less capacity (-500c)

What's important is: how much is your budget for a turbo conversion?
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

dannyboys is a tt converted to a single turbo, oh and also there is a review on a few mitsubishi botors in this months fast fours, it doesnt rate the gto engine, cause it is heavy and like a tt magna engine, but the 612t and 6a3t engines are a lot better.
6a12t ?????????? i hear you say !! yes there are 6a12 turbo enginesi n japan twin snails, and very similar to our engines, i think running 16psi of boost. But !!!!!!!! they are very rare ! they came in the galants before the 6a13t, 92-94 i think. oh and im not sure if they are mivec or not
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Lol, don't forget Scracy with his T28 Garett, well last time I checked anyway, white HKSFTO. I still remember that day at the meet I looked at his bonnet and thought "hang on this looks different. OMG, is that a t28 Garett turbo??" Lol, I was such a n00b, I didn't even know my car was lowered till people at the meet took photos as said "Wow, all the FTOs are lowered"... Went home and told insurance straight away (just in case).. :lol:
But yeah, MIVEC FTO's are supposed to be darn hard to convert to turbo, but as Scracy's demonstrated (tiptronic GPX), it's not impossible, if u have the time, money and willing to put the effort.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well i never 4get about Scarcy's FTO, I was the only guy 2 take him on!!! :oops: Even i knew his going kick my ass, but i just got 2 c the different, 4 those not there (only Will was there 2), he beat me by around 5-6 car lenght! I have 2 point out though, apart from intercooler, he also got an oil cooler, & transmission cooler!

Anyway haven't heard from him ever since he got his new place!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i've driven scracy's FTO before when it was still for sale at Craig Dean's joint (Sports & Luxury Vehicles) and let's just say that for a turbo tiptronic running at only 0.4bar boost, it has more then enough mumbo to serve a can of whoop-ass to just about any punk in their mildly modified 200SX and/or 180SX who care to put their egos on the line... i gave it a good thrashing that day and served up some good caning on a '93 Celica GT4, 200SX and a VT SS Commonwhore... but craig wasn't very happy about it though, judging by his reaction. :wink: :P

in the end, it looked like it was bought before i could make a decision whether to put a deposit down, and sometimes i regret it but then again i guess it would've been more fun to play with it in manual... which is why i'm still weighing up my options atm as i save up for the RPW turbo kit...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well as i said before, its a different setup now then when u drove it at Sports & Luxury Vechicles, I think the only same part is the HKS intercooler. So i guess u can imagine how fast it is now.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

what sort of setup is he running now?
EXC
Apprentice

Post by EXC »

all that weight in the front might be ok, when you got a turbo fto you get a bit of wheelspin, hold the front ont eh damn ground ;)
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

And apparently an LSD does WONDERS for powerful FWD cars.
EXC
Apprentice

Post by EXC »

apparently not enough wonders!
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

02NV wrote:which is why i'm still weighing up my options atm as i save up for the RPW turbo kit...
any idea on the what the cost of this are going to be??
even roughly?
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

EXC wrote:apparently not enough wonders!
why? have you got one installed? and if so what type?