What to look/ask for in an FTO service?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

SilentBob
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

What to look/ask for in an FTO service?

Post by SilentBob »

My new FTO's just about due(well im gonna give it one anyway) for a service/tune etc..and wonderin if there anything special i should be making sure they check when I get it done...
Still deciding where to take it, as I dont know of any places in Newcastle from experience but have heard some good raps on a couple...

What kind of price would I be looking at for a relativly detailed service and dyno tune??

Thanks
SilentBob
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

A dyno tune probably isn't worth it unless you have done some big mods to the car.
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

the cost of servicing also depends on what replacement parts were used if required and how many kms it's for... for example, a 100,000km service is going to be more expensive than a 40,000km service.

being an import, i'd imagine it also depends on which workshop you take it to as well... some may charge an arm & leg for a sh*t job, whereas some might be just as expensive but does a brilliant job.

as i'm from melb, i'm not familiar with which workshop is best used so i wouldn't know who to refer you to...
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

MattG wrote:A dyno tune probably isn't worth it unless you have done some big mods to the car.
not even a dyno run to make sure there isnt something missing in terms of power output?
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Nothing wrong with sticking it on a dyno, but you may be paying money for nothing.

I don't think there is a lot of "tuning" that you can do to the car unless you have done lots of mods. With an aftermarket computer you can mess around with fuel/ignition maps, FPR you can change settings, turbo you can change boost etc.
With a stock car you can't do anything like this. The only thing you can do is a regular tune-up.

However you may like to stick it on a dyno just to see what the output at the wheels is.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
AJY11Q
Apprentice

Post by AJY11Q »

Dyno is not really meaning if it's for only measuring your power....
U get different results from different places..
and there are ppl don't dyno at the place, where there car is done up..
because there's possibility to cheat result to make customer happy..

Save money :D
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Where I get my service done, I usually pay $125 for an oil change, new oil filter and 30 point safety check. The guy throws in a free car wash as well :D

Once in a while, you'll need to pay extra for things like spark plugs, disc machining (cos FTO brakes tend to warp) and don't forget the timing belt at 80000 (or 100000 km if u really wanna push it).
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

free car wash?? I'M THERE!!

where do you service your FTO rxboy??
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

what would a timing belt set me back????
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

I'm thinking of servicing my car at Perfect Run which is just down the road from me.

They are charging $140 for the basic service.

They are suggesting to use Penzoil 10W30, but I wanted to try Castrol R 0W40, what do you guys think??

I think I will also get an injector service done separately by Lube Mobile, and let you guys know how I go. Has anyone done an injector service and noticed much difference?
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

You fellers should really consider doing the servicing yourselves.
Bugger spending 100 plus on labour that a monkey can do ;)
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

dAsh wrote:You fellers should really consider doing the servicing yourselves.
Bugger spending 100 plus on labour that a monkey can do ;)
in my case, having the space to do it would help for a start... :?
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

A driveway and a couple of bricks if it's on a slope ;)
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I get my service done at T.G.S. Performance in Cheltenham. The owner used to be the first to start importing Nissan 180SX in large volumes.

If you want the number Mikey, I'll give it to you. He's an honest guy and like I said before, when I pick up the car after a service, it's all nice, clean and shiny. Last time, he even vacuumed the inside and threw in a free air freshener :lol:

By the way, does anybody think that $150 is too expensive to get a whole dial kit installed (ie including the clock and voltage gauges)? This installation will be done by using a proper "needle remover" thingamajig (dunno the name of it), so I'll get to keep the original dials.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Oh and Silentbob - the timing belt should set you back about $200-250 . Don't forget about the spark plugs though. Might as well get them changed so you don't waste the labour costs.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

i think the good thing about getting a mechanic to service your car and not just doing it yourself is the service records on resale.
No offence but if i was to buy a car off a non qualfied mechanic and he just said nahi did all the minor services id be a little put off the car. Not saying you cant change oil, filters etc, but id rather no that a mechanic has been in regular contact with the vehicle.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

And don't forget that keeping proper servicing records may help increase the value of your car if you plan to sell. Nothing better than to see that the car you're about to buy has had regular services done and when various fluids/parts have been replaced.
dAsh
Apprentice

Post by dAsh »

I don't trust mechanics, I've seen some 'handywork' done by a few.
I prefer to do everything to my car (and do it right!)
I'm sure that people who aren't capable of doing the work have to rely on someone, I just hope they find someone who cares enough about their car to service it like they would their own.
Anyway, enough preaching, time for a coldie.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

yeah thanks rxboy, i've heard of TGS before... i see their ads on the Unique Car magazine every now and then... in fact my mate was gonna buy an R33 from them last month (as advertised) but it was sold when he went there.

how long did it take for the service? do they have courtesy cars? and what is their workmanship like?
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

Yeah, TGS have been good to me, freindly and with reasonable rates.
Chatting with Tony he seems to know his stuff alright.