Mivec controller

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

eddiii
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Mivec controller

Post by eddiii »

Which is a good brand/controller for us gpx? was talkin with my mechanic today say it does add some power to the car, so just seeing which one should i buy, any idea guys? and for those have the controller, feels different with it?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Well going back over history ppl say they don't do any thing and some say they do :roll:
I am one for they do work, the big thing is finding a mivec controller up for grabs and then putting your car on the dyno to get the right change over point set for the mivec cams.
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

yeah, cause my mechanic has a dyno machine now, an i told him i might want to chip the car, then his like, should get a mivec controller 1st, and he said it does add power, so just getting more info about it 1st :) but thanks aza
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

The big thing you have to watch is when the battery is disconected you have to reset the controller, mivec point, number of cilenders and so on. The last dyno day I started to put the battery into the boot then ran out of time. I went and set the controller and then hit the dyno I was down about 19kws then seen that I had set the controller to 5 cylender lol.
Also if you look at cost for one to the power you get out of it you should look into the Haltech more power for your $$$
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

how much would a controller cost? estimate, and to tune the controller. well i know u did your ecu haltech for like 900ish include tune isnt it?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Yep as for the controller you could pick one up from $100-$200 (eBay) then install and an hour on the dyno say $300 may be.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

long standing debate

Your only changing the Mivec cut-in point to possibly get power delivery a little earlier...it cant increase max power unless the unit is doing more i.e. an VAFC-2 which you can chnage a/f ratios and ignition I believe
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

alrite np, thanks for the infos, one more thing, kinda off topic, but which NGK spark plugs fits our gpx?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Seiously if there is debate over whether they aork or not the increase in performance must be very minimal.

just get a piggy back and be done with it
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

When i sold one on ebay it went for $40 from memory :cry:

I bought it not so much for the mivec changeover adjustment (you can't gain peak as another poster said, you might be able to gain a bit more overall power where mivec switches over), but for the shift buzz and speed de-limiter. One other feature too i think, but can't remember.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

eddiii wrote:alrite np, thanks for the infos, one more thing, kinda off topic, but which NGK spark plugs fits our gpx?
PFR7M - Platinum
BKR7EIX - Iridium

Iridium supposedly have the better performance, Platinum will last longer.
Valandis91
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Valandis91 »

Bennoz wrote:
eddiii wrote:alrite np, thanks for the infos, one more thing, kinda off topic, but which NGK spark plugs fits our gpx?
PFR7M - Platinum
BKR7EIX - Iridium

which is why you should get the new fusion plugs like mine does ;)

got both iridium and platinum so get the best of both worlds!
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

Delvance wrote: you might be able to gain a bit more overall power where mivec switches over
that is what I have been trying to say, due to the loss of power at the switch point (power line dips due to it running to rich at change over) then it has to regain lost power and then go on to make more power.
when you up the mivec point you can smoth out that dip and get more power that way.

a number of members have seen this on the dyno when I have changed the change ove points.

But hay each to there own :roll:
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Hmm, so theory is to raise the MIVEC changeover point to gain a smoother power curve?

What would be the most effective RPM to raise the activation point to?
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

I guess someone would have to test it on their car to determine where this best point is. I would also recommend the piggyback. say you purchase one for (i dont know ...$350?) spend another 600 on the tune. for less than 1 grand you have got yourself an additional 10+kw. power/money spent ratio is unbeatable.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

bushido wrote:I guess someone would have to test it on their car to determine where this best point is. I would also recommend the piggyback. say you purchase one for (i dont know ...$350?) spend another 600 on the tune. for less than 1 grand you have got yourself an additional 10+kw. power/money spent ratio is unbeatable.
or punching out your cat converter :)
`97 FTO GPvR (SOLD)
`97 B16A EM1 (Written off)
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

Bennoz wrote:
PFR7M - Platinum
BKR7EIX - Iridium

How much normally would 1 iridium sparky cost? well say a pack of 6
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Depending on where you go, they are around the 20 buck mark. So expect $120~ for a set.
eddiii
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eddiii »

yeah i got charge around that price, but one of my friend was like "OMG U GOT RIPPED, their like $5 each, u should of got it from supercheap or somethin." lol thats what he said
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Your friend's an idiot :lol: