What petrol do you use?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

What petrol do you use?

Post by GPXXX »

Just wondering what sorta petrol do you use on your FTO and can you feel any difference between different brands (ie: Shell Optimax vs Mobil Synergy 8000 etc)

I have tried Optimax and Mobil Synergy 8000 but I have to say Optimax is smoother, but only by 'just'... in terms of economy, i can't say there is a noticeable difference though..

nb: how many litres can the petrol tank hold for the GPX??

Any takers on this?
p_angelo_1

Post by p_angelo_1 »

i use bp ultimate... I found it goes smoother than optimax. Optimax also seems to give it lots of smoke when cold, and smells bad. Ultimate doesnt give out smoke and doesnt smell so strong. For me anyway. I still use optimax every once in a while because of its supposed cleaning qualities...

I have a GPX and I recks its probably around 60-65 litres?

gotta love fuel prices these days post-iraq (thats not an opinion on the war itself though)
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

im on my first tank of bp ultimate ever and im quite happy so far... i'll find out about the milage soon. It seems to have a bit more kick in it... but i really gotta try optimax again to compare it again.... coz theres probably nothing in it really. ive tried synergy as well and didnt notice much difference.

only thing is i have more shell stations in my vicinity so its a bit out of the way to get bp ultimate for me... and not every bp station has ultimate either which is a pain...

fto has a 60L tank
Last edited by G1 on Mon May 26, 2003 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I must say it all depends on the setup of your FTO, cause petrol react 2 different setup! I use differet fuel 4 all my cars, but i use BP Ultimate 4 FTO, cause i found it react the best 4 my setup!

Hmmm petrol price wize, BP Ultimate is the cheapest 2! But then i don't pay 4 my petrol! ehehehe :twisted:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

hmmm... seems like i'll have to give BP ultimate a go sometime...
but like G1 said, BP is also a bit out of my way, but we'll see what sort of difference it'll make...
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

ive only tried mobil and shell, (i tried that BP boycott to lower petrol $$) didnt notice a differencet. The only reason i use shell, is that they won awards for best petrol, etc and i think directly relatin to not using ethanol etc... in drive on friday (the age) they said that shell was the first to release optimax, and then the others copied....so i just assume they had more time to perfect...plus u get flybuys with shell haha
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i've spoken to a number of tuners and most would recommend Shell Optimax or Mobil Synergy 8000. Optimax apparently has a higher grade of 98RON (??) and Synergy is slightly lesser grade, but you won't notice much unless you run very high boost on a turbo car...

So most of the time I only fill up with Shell Optimax... sometimes in an emergency i have no choice but to use normal PULP from Safeway Petrol Plus, and to be honest - i don't notice much difference either! :roll: :?
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

All three have a 98 RON rating so it's more up to your setup than anything less.

I'm tuned for Synergy *shrugs* but I get more milage out of Optimax.

Every car/engine is different even though they are the same type =) It depends what the car's been through =)
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

all three are 98RON ? i thought Bp's was 96... i have seen a 96 somewhere.. maybe theres someone else doing premium?

apart from that.. i find Shell Optimax keeps my car running fantastically, and its a tiny bit better than Mobil in my opinion... as for BP, theres none close to my house.. so i dont bother..
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I run mine on Mobil Synergy 8000 simply cos there are more Mobil servos close to where I live. But I didn't notice any differences between Synergy and Optimax (haven't tried BP Ultimate yet). Is it unhealthy to fill up on Optimax while half the tank full of Synergy and vice versa?
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

ive heard that BP fuels are the "geeny" type fuel... this came from a guy that works at caltex, but eh, i use optimax, and its not bad..

jono
D3MON

Post by D3MON »

I used to use BP but then when I heard about the ethanol thing I changed to Mobil Synergy. Haven't tried Optimax on my fto, but I have on my s15 and Synergy feels better. Dunno though.. mebbe turbo cars are different...
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I think Caltex's max is 96 RON but everybody else (Shell, BP, Mobil) have 98 RON.

Optimax when it first came out was touted as being more dense (hence better fuel economy), from what I have heard since it isn't quite so dense now, but I think it is still meant to be more dense than normal fuel.

I'm not sure about the other 98 RON fuels out there, you'd have to check up the specs on their respective websites.

The other thing is that I've found not all BP servo's in my area have the 98RON fuel, but all the Shell servo's near me do have it!

I know from reading about Optimax there is no issue with mixing it with common fuel, therefore I should see no reason as to why mixing it with any other 98RON fuel should be a problem.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

Around town on Mobil Synergy I get around 450km to a tank giving it occasional spouts of hard driving. whats everyone else get?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

my needle is already pointing very low (close to E) once it gets to 480ks, but lately i realised when i fill up the tank it's only approx about 40 litres or so, sometimes even slightly less...
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

yeh the most ive ever put in mine was about 48L and the fuel light only flashed a few times it didnt stay on... ive heard you can get 600km on highway driving anyone care to vouch for that?
D3MON

Post by D3MON »

I drove my FTO up to Coffs Harbour and drove around everywhere for 3 days before having to fill up again... not sure exactly how many kms it was.. but im prettie sure it was over 600km...
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

i got at least 30-40km less milage with the bp ultimate. add to this the hassles of finding one with the ultimate fuel around my area... i think i'll stick with optimax.... trying synergy8000 once more at the moment... im pretty sure optimax gave the best fuel economy anyway...
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

Just a suggestion
steer clear of Woolworths Petrol Plus's premium unleaded...
i dont know if it was psychological or what, but the car felt like a lot slower with this
back to the Optimax for me

(note...i dont normally fill up and crappy petrol plus...the line ups sh*t me for one...but they are directly across from my work and i needed fuel)

SilentBob
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

when i fill up the tank it's only approx about 40 litres or so,
Its about a 55L tank...

last night i forgot to fill up and got right down to the E on empty with the fuel lite on solid... miles away from anything resembling Premium fuel..

by the time i found a shell.. i would have had only a teenie bit of fuel left... and i manged to put 54L in it..