Buying first FTO (p-plater)

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Buying first FTO (p-plater)

Post by -Nighthawk- »

(I was referred to here from a forum, since you guys have a good knowledge of FTO's, so its a bit of a copy and paste)

I've been looking at some different cars for my P's, and so far the Mitsubishi FTO seems to be the best. It has good looks, decent engine, enough room inside, small etc.

These are the main cars I am looking at:
(see second post)

Vehicle 1

Vehicle 2

Vehicle 3

For such a low price tag of $7600, what do you think would mostly be wrong with it? I'm hoping it's just the 150,000 k's its clocked up. I haven't brought a second hand car before so have no idea what to expect. If it all checks up ok it might be worth the 1 hour trip to check out, just need everyone's opinion first.

cheers
Last edited by -Nighthawk- on Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Nighthawk-
Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

It seems the forum has disabled links to carsales... anyway here's how to find them:

1. Private sell cars
2. $7500-$15000
3. Mitsubishi - FTO
4. Victoria
5. Automatic

that should come up with the listings I'm after.

The descriptions of the ones I'm after are as follows:

Good Sports car ever """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" & it's Bargain
$12,000 12Month REG no time wasters
Looking for quick sale. No time wasters please. PRICE NEGOTIOABLE

thankyou to anyone who offers help :)
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

OK, the first one is a GR (less power than the GPX unless its been modified - it has no mivec). The third one is also a GR. Bit hard to tell what the second one is as I cant see a badge and there are no engine bay shots. If I had to choose between 1 and 3 from what I see, I think id go for number 3. The second one is quite a bit more price wise but is likely in pretty good condition if its a show car. Having said that, it doesnt look significantly better than number 3 from the pictures. The advantages that 2 has over 3 are the mods (which seem to be tasteful, the mileage, the audio gear and the kms. It is also possibly a GPX. If this is the case, it would have more power as well. As to whether that is worth 4K to you. Only you can decide that.

What are you looking for. Going from the pics, black automatic. Is there anything else. For example, I would have said that there were some others in there that were worth a look based on what you have picked. Also, dont be afraid to travel a little to get your car. This will be with you for the next few years and a bit of travel time is nothing in the scheme of things. Ive travelled from Canberra to Melbourne twice and to Canberra to Sydney 3 times, just because what I wanted was cheaper or better elsewhere.

Oh and make sure you check out the thread on what to look for when you buy. Cant remember which section it is in off the top of my head, but its a sticky, so shouldnt be too hard to find.

Good Luck! ;)
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    koolio1234
    Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

$7,600 seems about right for a stock fto with 150,000km on the clock. I say go for an inspection. Maybe even talk them down lower. Chances are that its legit but no way of telling without seeing it.
    [img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Question comes down to if you want a car in good condition that's been well looked after or if you want something cheap.

Personally I'd be very wary of the $7600 one, unless the owner has a legitimate reason to be selling it that cheap and wants a quick sale.
    I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
    Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
    Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
    -Nighthawk-
    Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Thanks for the advice, the same owner (listed the same car twice for some reason) says it is a GPX, heres the details:

Vehicle: 1996 MITSUBISHI FTO GPX
    Kilometres: 149 000
    Body Type: Coupe
    Colour: Black
    Transmission: 4 speed semi- Automatic
    Engine: V-6 Cylinder Petrol Injected 2.0L (1998cc)
    Reg Plate: QQU 357
    Reg Expire: JUL 09
    Imported: Yes

Paint is Black and is in good condition
    CD player is Panasonic

Selling because buying a new house.
    The FTO performs very well has not missed a beat, it is mechanically sound.

Engine 6 cylinder Petrol Injected 2.0L (1998cc)

is that right?
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

Yep, 2 litre V6
    Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
    Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
    bushido
    Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

Mines for sale. CHEAP MODDED VERY GOOD COND!. Check the cars for sale section

EDIT- heres tye link

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... ic&t=15994
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    ###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
    -Nighthawk-
    Oldtimer

Post by -Nighthawk- »

Thanks, but a couple of things I'm not really a fan of the exterior color, decals, interior with purple seats etc. when I could get something that suits my needs for $5,000 less :)
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

bushido wrote:Mines for sale. CHEAP MODDED VERY GOOD COND!. Check the cars for sale section

EDIT- heres tye link

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... ic&t=15994
    Don't worry man, I'm sure you'll sell your car. You should be happy new drivers probably won't look at buying your car because it's out of their price range. Somebody who likes FTOs for what they are and not just because they're a cheap non-turbo alternative will be the next owner of your car.

Don't lower the price too much, just wait for a real enthusiast to come along (no offense to P platers).

Also if you don't mind me saying so, it may make it more appealing if you took off the decals because a lot of people don't like them (I think they add a nice touch but other people won't share our view) :?
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Sorry, was sure I saw a GR badge on the third one, but cant now. Must have been looking at the wrong car. :oops:

Would have said this one was worth a look:

http://www.carsales.com.au/used-cars/pr ... c&trecs=23
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      bushido
      Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

hmm maybe the young fella doesnt know what a version r is ?? :?

the stickers are a piece of piss to take off.

*sigh
      Bennoz
      National President

Post by Bennoz »

bushido wrote:hmm maybe the young fella doesnt know what a version are is ?? :?

the stickers are a piece of piss to take off.

*sigh
      I cant believe you spent all that money doing it up & then immediately want to sell it? 8O

bushido
      Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

its not exactly immediately ben. Been a few months since the last mod and major service. Its rarely used nowadays becuase of the bike.
      J
      Oldtimer

Post by J »

what happened to getting a r34 gtr steve?!

To the OP - all i can say is dont rush your buy. Theres nothing good about an impulse buy because your eager to get your own car. If the cars are not up to scratch or A1 then bide your time and watch the websites and check out the ''forsale'' section. Some good looking and running fto's in there<<<

But anyhoo good luck with the sale 8)