I JUST GOT THE 95 GPX

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

I JUST GOT THE 95 GPX

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

hi im new to this forum and a 1995 fto gpx is gonna be my first car yay :)
embarassing as it is... i know nothing about cars and neither do my parents...but im about to buy a 1995 gpx

when i went to check up on the car, the owner started up the engine and opened the hood...u can hear the normal engine sound but also a constant clicking or tapping sound...he says something about lifters and him not having enough engine oil in it at the time. he said that it was a normal thing in all fto's but my parents are a bit iffy about it

i wanna know...is it suppose to make that tapping sound? and if its not meant to make that sound, will it damage the car in any way? cause frankly i dont really care if it makes the sound...just my parents think that its a bad engine.

thanks in advance
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

WTTC...tapping lol...it would definately be the tappets...most fto's have this clicking noise until you fix it....just wait up for someone more knowledgeable to answer your question ;) ...also, it would be wise to do a proper inspection on the car before buying....just call nrma or take it somewhere local and ask them to check for anything wrong with the car.
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

first WTTC :D
and as for your Q. yes it is normal for the tappets to go out abit you can just get them ajusted not a prob at all.
it will cost you aprox $300 give or take $50.
what is the asking price for it and K's on the clock?
if it is over 100'000 check to see its had a full 100K service water pump timing belt and so on.
if you have any more Q.s just ask and some one will be able to help you.

also what area are you in as a member may be able to go out and check it over for you if they are close by.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

WTTC :D
As AZA said easily adjusted and it will do it even if oil is right on the mark ;)

However as previously said seeing as you dont much about cars I strongly suggest you get it checked first and make sure its had all major services as these can be costly ie: the 100k service will be over $1000 mark and as before any Q's just ask mate :D
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

WTTC. +1 to what Aza said ... But even with adjusting the tapets, you can still here a ticking sound ... Only slight though .. But a change in oil can also help get rid of most of the noise...
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

wow thanks for the quick replies and wttc's...i kinda half expected a bunch of faggots who are gonna be like 'what? u dont know what a lifter is? gtfo' lol...but thanks for all the info

the car has done 122k and is asking for $7600...im happy to pay this price provided theres nothing wrong with the engine

my friend's brother is a mechanic and im gonna get him to check out the car...mechanically...also ...the seller said that hes gonna take it for a quick service and have the engine oil changed...so i hope by the time my friend's brother checks it out...the tappet sound will...hmmm...quiten? i guess? and i hope he tells me theres nothing majorly wrong with the car cause i really like that car

thanks again
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

8u8813f1uff wrote:wow thanks for the quick replies and wttc's...i kinda half expected a bunch of faggots who are gonna be like 'what? you dont know what a lifter is? gtfo' lol...but thanks for all the info

thanks again
:lol: we have are fun in this club but when some one puts up a Q. we will help out the best we can.
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

hahaha actually some are a bit strange check out the Queensland section :lol: :lol: :supergay:

But seriously make sure cambelt waterpump tensioners and seals have been done mate esp at 122kms if they havent can be a very costly experiance your mate should be able to check condition of belt but its difficult without removing completely..... and sorry to tell you but dougbt oil change will fix tappet noise they will most likely need to be adjusted but you have mates thats are capable by the sounds of it..... so good luck hope you end up with a great buy :D
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

8u8813f1uff wrote:i kinda half expected a bunch of faggots
2nd post & you've already dropped the 'F' bomb...You'll fit in here just fine :lol:
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

lol thanks bennoz....um as for getting my mechanic to check it...should i make a list of things for him to check? cause i dunno how good of a mechanic he is...cause i dont wanna insult him by making a shopping list of things

i really dont mind the tappet noise as long as it doesnt do harm to the engine...or car or watever it would damage

hope everythign works well ^^
FTO-LEO
Grease Monkey

Post by FTO-LEO »

WTTC dude! Thats great that your getting an FTO as your first car, hope it all go's well mate ;)
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

Get it checked out and then negotiate with the seller abit more ...
And aza probably answered the question ... tappets for sure or maybe lose belts. They wont harm the engine but just annoying when you start the car i guess.

Anyway welcome to the club and best of luck with the FTO :lol:
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

thanks for the continual wttcs...im jus glad that it doesnt damage the engine cause hte sound doesnt really annoy me...im inside the car anyway....with music ^^

but i will have my mechanic check it out...and yea i got a couple of hundred off hte price cause the car has a couple of scratches and the font left side is a little bit damaged

thanks
nikhan
Mechanic

Post by nikhan »

Trust me man...any sound will irritate the hell outta u even when the music is on. Better get it solved before a small prob gets into a bit problem. U treat your fto well...it will treat u well. Anyway...WTTC.
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

hmmm...well i guess if it can get worse...i mean to the point where its real loud even when im inside the car...ill have it chcked out...cause to me spending $300 to fix a tapping sound doesnt really make sense....unless it damages the engine...then ill definately get it fixed
zuihoujueding
Oldtimer

Post by zuihoujueding »

WTTC! i have the tapping sound too, even after oil change. dont like it. but not willing to pay $300 for adjusting...so will have to keep revving it to cover the noise. lol
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

zuihoujueding wrote:WTTC! i have the tapping sound too, even after oil change. dont like it. but not willing to pay $300 for adjusting...so will have to keep revving it to cover the noise. lol
nice solution there lol :P
xSlurpee
Oldtimer

Post by xSlurpee »

my tappet noise goes away after the engines starts for a minute ...
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

xSlurpee wrote:my tappet noise goes away after the engines starts for a minute ...
Thats normal just the oil getting through to the lifters from cold start ;)
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
8u8813f1uff
Grease Monkey

Post by 8u8813f1uff »

im not sure if what im gonna say is gonna make sense but here goes...if the tappet noises are an occurance in all fto's, why didnt mitsubishi make it so they dont have hte sound at all? cause i originally thought that the tappet noises are because the engine is having problems...but if it doeesnt damage the engine then why is makking that noise?