Phew! talk about 'close calls'...!!

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

GPXXX
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Phew! talk about 'close calls'...!!

Post by GPXXX »

any stories of close-calls that you'd like to share? i'll start with a couple of mine:

1. goddamn taxi #1 merged into my lane on the Eastern Fwy without indicating and nearly wiped me out onto the emergency lane

2. goddamn taxi #2 cut into my lane in a roundabout (near carlton cemetery), again without indicating, nearly swapping paint with my front bumper in the process

3. 2 mins away from a $100 parking fine because i realise I forgot to add some coins to the meter and the parking inspector was already booking a car behind mine...

4. got pulled over into a random breatho test and had to go through a vehicle safety inspection check on the spot as well, but didn't get done for anything... (MASSIVE RELIEF THERE!)

5. had to overtake an Astra on a single lane fwy near Stawell, when i realised there is a roadtrain about 300m ahead so i planted it into 3rd and dished out some dust for the Astra heheheh...
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

Hehe, everyime i go for a drive.... Adelaide drivers must rank as some of the worst in Australia (my opinion only - they are a lot worse than brisbane anyway). I try to avoid being close to any 4wd - they beleive they dont need to indicate.

Might as well share one story... driving to a company cricket game (rules a sweet - must have beer in hand at all times!!) and i pull up at a set of lights. The amount of people who insist on stopping on the intersection is ridiculous - dont know about you all, but if you cant get accross the intersection you dont enter right! OK, there was a car in the lane to the right of me extended out over the intersection so far that he blocked the lanes that carried cars from the right to left of me. There were horns beeping everywhere, but he was stuck there. When the lights changed to green for my direction, the guy in the right moved as did me and a bloke to the left of me. However when the guy to the right moved, a wanker in his Exa decided he couldnt be bothered waiting any longer and came flying accross (through a red light for him) and probably missed the front of my car by inches after i managed to hit the anchors. I was happy no one was behind me or i would have had probs!

hrm...lacks structure my writing does....

Daz.
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Daz_FTO wrote: hrm...lacks structure my writing does....

Daz.
Woah, impression great of Yoda does u!

Anyhoo, my near miss came about on the way home from work. Coming up to the roundabout to turn into my estate I indicated to go into the roundabouts right turning lane (exclusively for this turn) when all of a sudden I hear a hugh blast of horns - directly behind me was a 4wd being chased by a police car going at high speeds - luckly I had time to swerve back into the left lane as they overtook me on the median strip!! Not a good end to the day I have to say
Teh Ban Queen!
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

the FTO is a magnet for idiot drivers.

I never get out of the way of idiot drivers... as long as they look like they have insurance
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

smorison wrote:I never get out of the way of idiot drivers... as long as they look like they have insurance
Just pray that you don't run into a bloody Volvo driver :lol: or anyone with a bomb who doesn't give a flying f*ck what happens. Too many of those around. Just cos they have a bomb, they don't respect other people's property. In fact they wait to have an accident, just so they can blaim previous damage on you :evil: :evil: :evil:
Robb
Grease Monkey

Post by Robb »

Man I'm not even going to start with the stories I've got, this forum isn't long enuff...:evil: :evil: :evil:

Robb...
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

Robb (with 2 bee's)

seeing as i've watched you drive many times may i put forward the very strange thought that maybe, just maybe, its your driving style.

hahahaha ;)
DZYRME
Mechanic

Post by DZYRME »

I had a very close call today. I went to get my car serviced and went to check why my air con smelt like it was burning. When I rocked up to my mechanics house, smoke was gushing out of my bonnet, and it happend to be that my Air Con clutch was practically on fire. If I drove any longer, or if I was on a freeway, my whole car could have caught on fire and caused some real serious damage..
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

far out man... what caused the aircon to catch on fire??

i think the most recent close call i've had was today, i was driving down lonsdale st in the city, i was in the left lane, and all of a sudden the driver side door of a parked car opened, and out came this fat old guy.... i had to quickly brake and swerve to the right, luckily no car was next to me..

i've had a few cars indicate into my lane, and slowly move into my lane, when it was quite obvious that i was right next to them... i've beeped the sh*t outta most of the ppl that indicate into my lane and try to change into my lane without looking....

another time, i went to the drags with my mates, we parked our cars on near the end, and cops came... we were at the front, and when we heard that cops were coming, we quickly ran to our cars, which took ages, i quickly turned my alarm off and tried to open my door, but the lock didnt unlock...... then i saw a cop car right infront of my, blocking my exit, quickly unlocked the door with my key, got in the car.. luckily there were much more better modified cars than mine hahaha..... f**k i thoguht i was gonna get busted......
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

thecook wrote: another time, i went to the drags with my mates, we parked our cars on near the end, and cops came... we were at the front, and when we heard that cops were coming, we quickly ran to our cars, which took ages, i quickly turned my alarm off and tried to open my door, but the lock didnt unlock...... then i saw a cop car right infront of my, blocking my exit, quickly unlocked the door with my key, got in the car.. luckily there were much more better modified cars than mine hahaha..... f*** i thoguht i was gonna get busted......
Mate why would u worry when the cop came around, is not like u dragging ppl, u just parked your car right??

The thing is the more u try 2 run 2 your car, the more suspicious u get, & thats when cops is after u. Theres no curfew in Oz, so the cop can't do anything. If they ask u why u parked your car there, just say your car is overheated & u need 2 cool it down. :wink:
[/b]
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

FTO338 wrote: Mate why would u worry when the cop came around, is not like u dragging ppl, u just parked your car right??

The thing is the more u try 2 run 2 your car, the more suspicious u get, & thats when cops is after u. Theres no curfew in Oz, so the cop can't do anything. If they ask u why u parked your car there, just say your car is overheated & u need 2 cool it down. :wink:
[/b]
1. the cops will still try to dick you anyway with 'probable cause'... apparently there's a new law that allows cops to bust you even if you're just a spectator (unless you're smart enough to convince the judge you were at the wrongplace at the wrong time)

2. there IS a curfew in Oz - Ballarat is currently trialling the system to minimise trouble on the streets (after 2am)... Brendan will vouch for it! ;)
Last edited by GPXXX on Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

remind me not 2 go 2 ballarat next time! ahhahahaha

Anyway i went 2 some of those drags, most likely the same one as "thecook" went, as we got a common friend (not FTO)!! ehehe . Anyway i did the same thing, parked the car on the side, cops didn't do sh*t except to tell us to go home. All i know is if u not going 2 b a smartass, cops r usually not going dig u 4 no reason.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
Robb
Grease Monkey

Post by Robb »

smorison wrote:Robb (with 2 bee's)

seeing as i've watched you drive many times may i put forward the very strange thought that maybe, just maybe, its your driving style.

hahahaha ;)
Steve whats this 'maybe, just maybe' dont you mean 'definately'.....:wink: At least I can say I have a ummmm... UNIQUE style of driving......hahaha

Robb....
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

kevin, are u talking bout the dandy dragz?
the one that i thought i'd get busted was at one of those saturday nite dragz, the proper ones, no burnouts n donuts etc...

i saw a few cop carz driving past us as we were racing outta there lol... i couldnt believe they didnt stop us after seeing all those nissans/mitsus/hondas driving past lol
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

thecook wrote:i've had a few cars indicate into my lane, and slowly move into my lane, when it was quite obvious that i was right next to them... i've beeped the sh*t outta most of the ppl that indicate into my lane and try to change into my lane without looking....
After the same thing happening to me a couple of times, I learned never to stay in someone's blind spot for longer than a sec or two unless it's unavoidable. I just speed up and drive alongside them or just in front.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

thecook wrote:kevin, are u talking bout the dandy dragz?
the one that i thought i'd get busted was at one of those saturday nite dragz, the proper ones, no burnouts n donuts etc...

i saw a few cop carz driving past us as we were racing outta there lol... i couldnt believe they didnt stop us after seeing all those nissans/mitsus/hondas driving past lol
This is so funny, if its a proper drag, it wouldn't be on the street at the first place, hmmmmmm & i don't think i want 2 post the location either, just in case some "smartass" cop read the forum.
thecook
Mechanic

Post by thecook »

haha, sorry what i mean by proper is that even though its on the street, the ppl dere dont act like dickheads n show off with loud music n burning tyres.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

hehehheheeh yeah i hate those dickhead 2!!!!!
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

So many idiots and yet so few bullets!!!!!!
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

thecook wrote:haha, sorry what i mean by proper is that even though its on the street, the ppl dere dont act like dickheads n show off with loud music n burning tyres.
ohhh, so you're not referring to the muzza show n' shine, LOL... i think there were some stories about them on Today Tonight earlier this year... man the MCCR and FF&R forums went off, hahaha...