GPX or GR?

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

ftowannabe
jedwabna poszewka promocja

GPX or GR?

Post by ftowannabe »

Hi Everyone!

First time in this forum.

Was drawn to the FTO through carsales.com.au and been thinking about it ever since.

Just a question regarding specific models. WHat is the difference between a GR and a GPX FTO? and which is the better bet if I was interested in getting an FTO? the GPvR seem to be quite rare as I have not seen a single one for sale as yet.

Cheers!

Chris
RedlineGX
Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

Hi and welcome to the club.

The major difference is the GPX has mivec which is supposed to give 20hp more than the non-mivec GR. However the GR engine seems to be a bit more tolerant to abuse. Next biggest difference is probably brakes. The GR front brakes are smaller than the GPX.(1 pot vs 2pot)

Having said all that, a nicely kept GR will be a better buy than an average GPX, so keep your mind open.

You'll find more information here.

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... c&start=20
dstocks
National Vice President

surf

Post by dstocks »

Time for a bit of reading....

http://www.completefto.com.au/FTO_showcontent.asp?hid=111

and welcome to the club :D

Oh, and check to Cars for sale section. I chucked up a post for a GPvR yesterday......
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    FTO-101
    Grease Monkey

Post by FTO-101 »

GR if you want to turbo it or GPX if you want natural aspiration personally i love that mivec sound and it does give more power than the GR
    gazeek
    Apprentice

Post by gazeek »

GPX For sure ;)

Oh and find one with the Climate control ... Thats probably my fav feature on the car ...

I just picked up my 1995 , Silver GPX ,, tiptronic. 66,000Kms , Electric Sunroof, Climate control , 3 years parts & labour warantee and 12 months roadside assistance for $12,700 ... And i love it :)
    boarsai
    Mechanic

Post by boarsai »

<3 the sound Mivec makes... right up there with the sound my bike makes at 12,000+ RPM. Sexy :D I could drive thru tunnels all day in a GPX :D
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

it's funny how people underestimate GRs, if u can find a fto that's been well looked after, that's what matters. Even the club pres owns a GR! (just like me 8) )
    I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
    Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
    Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
    FTO-101
    Grease Monkey

Post by FTO-101 »

yep typical GR owners always tryin to make themselves feel better for not getting a GPX. There There its OK :D hehe NOT!
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

lol shutup you *shakes fist*
    I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
    Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
    Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
    RedlineGX
    Grease Monkey

Post by RedlineGX »

FTO-101 wrote:yep typical GR owners always tryin to make themselves feel better for not getting a GPX. There There its OK :D hehe NOT!
    I'll run your GPX against my GX when you're ready :lol: You just got to get it to Barbados. :roll:

As sublime says, I think that the condition of the car is much more important. Oh and a manual GR is more fun than a tip mivec any day of the week to me.(and just as fast if not faster) 8)
    FTO-101
    Grease Monkey

Post by FTO-101 »

Like i said if you want to turbo charge your FTO your better off getting a GR or a GX like in your case (Redline GX) but in standard form a GPX has a 200 BHP Mivec engine while a GR/GX has a 170 BHP non-Mivec engine.

And by the way not all GPX's are Tip mine is a Manual
    mr-charisma
    Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Don't rule out the GPvR. I would swap my GPX for one :)

Check out the Specs of each one, & if you're unsure of what the specs mean, don't hesitate to ask on the forums :)
    khunjeng
    Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

put it back in your pants boys...the differnece between the GR and GPX is not much in reality...I like the c/c unit in the GPX...MIVEC...kinda a *~dreamy~* version of VTEC YO!!!!! really and doesn't seem to get you that much more power..

non-MIVEC bettre for turbo converson later...and its about 85% assured that u will want to do this some time in the future.

go for a good condition car overall
    rock_it
    Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Sorry for the Newb question, but i have done a search and just can't seem to find the answer...

Anyway, I am looking at a GPX tomorrow.. But how can I tell the difference between a GPX and a GR ?? Is there a different code on any of the compliance plates, or engine numbers..?
    jonowong
    Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

the GR will have a MAF sensor

and the GPX will have a MAP sensor...

dead give away...
    JOeJOe
    Oldtimer

Post by JOeJOe »

GPX - oil cap on the left with mivec cover
    GR - oil cap on the right no mivec cover
    dstocks
    National Vice President

chassis number

Post by dstocks »

Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      topao
      Veteran Mechanic

Post by topao »

It says GPX or GR on the right hand side of the boot :D
      FtoSam
      Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

GPX "Should" Have a MIVEC cover on the engine.
      Also take it for a drive and you should hear the engine go mental at 6krpm

As for the GPX vs GR debate...

N/A GPX is better
      But saying that Ben has some funky cams in his... which means his would own a GPX anyday..

Im downgrading to a GR engine purely for reliability with my turbo setup.

Go GPX. You will LOVE the sound it makes... Especially with a good air intake.

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
      rock_it
      Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

Yeah, was going out to see a gpx today ... Just wanted to see if there was anyway that some one could make a gr look like a gpx...

Not too worried about turbo ... That is what the Evo is for... Just looking for a daily ...

Hoped to get this one today, but someone saw it about an hour or so before me, and put a deposit on it... Oh well, maybe he will change his mind or his finance will fall through ...

Thanks for the help guys :)