[b]Turbo FTO[/b]

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

lesfto
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by lesfto »

Any pics of EXC's car... performance details? She's (?) the only one on here running turbo on a tiptronic rite? Would be interesting to find out what it's capable of...
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I think EXC now owns the red FTO that was in the ZOOM article, but has done extra work after she bought it. (I might be wrong about her owning that car).

In the article it was doing 121Kw at the front wheels.

Try looking for the files here:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/fto ... lia/files/

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

lesfto wrote:Any pics of EXC's car... performance details? She's (?) the only one on here running turbo on a tiptronic rite? Would be interesting to find out what it's capable of...
scracy is from melbourne and he has a white turbo'd GPX tiptronic that was featured on HPI last year...
lesfto
Apprentice

Post by lesfto »

Hey Mikey...

Any pics and/or figures from Scracy's car?? And any idea if or how i can get a hold of the mags/articles which featured EXC's and Scracy's cars?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Scracy's car is featured in http://www.autospeed.com.au - just do a search and the artcile will be there somewhere.

there's a 2-part story on EXC's turbo conversion, but as far as i know they are only available in the Zoom magazine. there is an online interview with the owner (Angela) posted on the web somewhere, but i can't remember where so you'll have to email her yourself...
lesfto
Apprentice

Post by lesfto »

Thanks too MattG...

No worries mates, i found it them both in the Yahoo Autos fto_australia site... quite inspiring eh...

Can i ask though, why such a difference in outputs? 200kw for Scracy compared to 121kw for EXC? Or am i missing something?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i suspect 200kw is at the flywheel, whereas EXC's 120kw is at the front wheels (give or take 30-35% drivetrain loss)
lesfto
Apprentice

Post by lesfto »

Ah i see... and 200kw at the flywheel is good enough to take on silvia's? Or so the article said... :)

Great looking car... In melb but nvr seen it! Heard good things abt it though... Any idea how much a similar conersion would cost? And realistically, what cars is Scracy likely to be on par with?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Any idea how much a similar conersion would cost? And realistically, what cars is Scracy likely to be on par with?
to do a similar conversion in Oz, you'd be looking at somewhere AT LEAST $8K, and that is just a very basic job good enough to pull 200kw at the flywheel, give or take 10% more or less (at 6-7psi) RPW in Perth is currently working on a bolt-on kit but prices have not been released yet.'

200kw at the fly is good enough to take on almost anything bar the 4WD turbo big-brother suspects (STI, Evos, Supra TT & GTRs)... if you're talking about 200kw 'at the wheels' then you're in a different playing field altogether coz you're looking at mid-low 12s territory for the qtr-mile.

i've driven Scracy's car when it was still for sale 2 years ago and let me tell you, for a 4-spd tiptronic GPX running low boost (0.4bar) - it really hammers! for a bit of a hoot i ran against a mild-tuned S15 and without sounding like a wank we beat it very easily by about 2-3 car lengths.

...i've heard there's been some work done to Scracy's car since then, so you can only imagine how agro it is now!
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

i have heard of ftos getting close to 120kw with extractors, and air filet, and good exaust, so I wouldnt be surprised if 200kw isat the wheels, mainly causei have seen a turbo fto running low boost (i think 7 psi) and pull 164kw at the wheels, with no internal mods!
So I think is you run low boost, ad a decent comp, extractors, and decent muffler 200kw at the wheels is definitly achiveable, i spose it depends who tunes it too !