New engine and power possibilities

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Connor_1994
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

New engine and power possibilities

Post by Connor_1994 »

So as many of you are aware Syntax is currently putting a 4g93t in hos fto and aiming for 160-170 max wkw.
Tgere is also someone putting a mivec 6a12 in a colt, and lets not forget Bennoz's 6a12tt in his fto.

What this topic is about is all the possible choices i have all to be compared and talked about.
The deal is i LOVE my fto, its my first car, ive been through a lot with her, both showing off and getting beaten and even a severe flood, and shes still kicking :D
But i want power, and i mean power! I love the handling and the feel of the fto, and not really wanting to go to a rear wheel drive (dont like drifting or sliding all day, i want to stick like the fto does)

So i was thinking maybe a all.wheel drive gtr or something along those likes for 15 - 20k max thats clean. Im also thinking about putting 4g63t or maybe a 4g93t in my fto. But i was thinking, what about getting some evo running gear and making my fto with a 63t engine and evo all wheel drive running gear

What is everyones thoughts on this?
Pros, cons, power abalities and headaches involved and money issues.

Thanks guys and looking foward to everyone thoughts and suggestions
spetz
Oldtimer

Re: New engine and power possibilities

Post by spetz »

It is a definite possibility, but sadly with the earlier Evo's being so cheap these days... Well you know how it goes.
It depends what you want. A long term project which will be quite unique, or a fun daily driver. If you want a fun daily driver I think it's important to get the most "bang for buck" and the least downtime, so if AWD is your goal, in my opinion it's best to buy an already AWD turbo car.

Personally, for less than 15K you can get a decent bug eye WRX (maybe even STi?) which is a great all rounder. If you want to stick with Mitsubishi there is the Evo route, though they're less comfortable, or even a VR4 Galant which would be pretty nice in my opinion.
Connor_1994
Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

Yeah theyre all good options which im thinking of,
Just have to make a decision really,
I juat want good power and handling but i really want to have somehing uncommon, like an fto is rare and thats what i love about it,
Might look into some evo's and sti's (:
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

The thing is that with time you realize that rare is not necessarily a good thing, especially when it comes down to doing modifications to the car.

Either way though, a Galant VR4 is rare, looks good, AWD, twin turbo etc. If rare/uncommon is high on the priority list this car certainly cannot be overlooked.
dstocks
National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Or spend some cash on the additionals on your current engine. Stock FTO is 100KW atw. Mine is running 134KW atw (Aza's is similar). That out accellerates a VR4 (I had a series 2 VR4 wagon) and would compete quite well against most. And you dont lose your reliability.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    Bennoz
    National President

Post by Bennoz »

Connor_1994 wrote:and lets not forget Bennoz's 6a12tt in his fto
    6A13tt Thank you very much :P
    dstocks wrote:That out accellerates a VR4 (I had a series 2 VR4 wagon)
    Yeah but you only need to tweak a few thing in the VR4 donk to give you big gains! :D
    Daniel2019
    Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

You can buy an imported Galant VR-4 for just over 10 grand landed and complied and ready for a blue slip (Yeah I was surprised at the price too... check out j-spec imports!). That's what I will be getting when I get my fulls. Such a low price for a car of that nature. It's basically Bennoz' engine in a sedan (or wagon if you get the Legnum) thats even rarer than an FTO.

You cant run too much power in an FTO anyway, otherwise the tyres will just light up all the time because they're so light and FWD.
    I fix cars.
    Bennoz wrote:I got Bali beli & sharted on my phone. But it was fun :D
    bjk wrote:you old people are no help at all.
    dstocks
    National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Yeah but you only need to tweak a few thing in the VR4 donk to give you big gains!
    Yep, tis true. but the moment you start modifying, your wallet bleeds like a bastard. No offence Bennoz, but you are the best example of that that I can think of.......
    You can buy an imported Galant VR-4 for just over 10 grand landed and complied and ready for a blue slip
    Having owned a legnum for 18 months, IMO they are nowhere near as much fun to drive. In the end I was a little disappointed. Even with all the fancy suspension gear and the fact that they are 4WD, they still feel like a boat to drive. And my FTO would out corner my Legnum even though it was FWD. Having said that, my Legnum was stock as a rock. Take one for a drive first.
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
      Connor_1994
      Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

Yeah i think i might
      I know where theres one for sale
      Might go talk to him and see if i can take ot for a drive

My apologies bennoz, i was trying to write 6a13tt but for some reason ended up with a twelve haha

Thabks guys these are all great things to think of and are helping a lot
      spetz
      Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Dstocks, what was the cost of ownership like for your Legnum?
      It seems like a nice, fun yet comfortable daily driver for those who don't wish to drive their noisy, stiff and cramped FTO :oops:
      silverGPX
      9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

Of course a station wagon is going to be a boat, the Galant should be better?

However it does just look like a magna.
      dstocks
      National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

The Legnum was a good car. For a wagon it handled well, wasnt too bad on fuel if you drove it sensibly and in the 2 years I owned it, I didnt really have any issues I could blame on the car. I did have wheel alignment/tyre problems due to the corrugations in the road, but to be fair, most cars ive owned have had that issue with the road.

The thing is that where you can feel the road and the car through the steering in the FTO, the Legnum is the opposite. All the electronic gadgetry takes that feel away and with it goes the smile (at least in my case). Just ended up being a family car that handled well and had a bit of get up and go. I can honestly say that nothing I have driven has put a smile on my face like my FTO.
      Of course a station wagon is going to be a boat, the Galant should be better?
      Hmmm maybe, but the configurations are sufficiently similar that I wouldnt bet on that. Its handling is a result of its weight and the associated electronics.The galant has the same electronics and I dont think there would be much of a weight difference.
        V6 Mivec Colt

Post by V6 Mivec Colt »

Build an FTO colt , rare , faster than an fto , sleeper , cheaper tax and insurance as 1.3 on book haha and handles a lot better than peolpe make out
        spetz
        Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

In Australia there is no yearly "tax" as such (at least not based on engine capacity).
        And a car which has an engine conversion done costs more to insure, so the intensives are less than in the UK and it generally costs a lot more to do this conversion
        V6 Mivec Colt

Post by V6 Mivec Colt »

im from ireland spetz my colt is 1.3 on book which means i pay 89euro for 3 months tax , if i tell them its 2litre it will be 200euro for 3 months big big difference

also my insurance is 1000euro on 1.3 colt and not insurable as 2litre mivec i.e jap engine too risky etc is all i get off the companies or a qoute of about 4000euro a lot a lot of money

i have no choice but to lie
        Connor_1994
        Mechanic

Post by Connor_1994 »

Wow and i thought some insurance over here was bad

And Dstocks - i love the feel of the fto, its so similar to a bike in the case of you can feel the road, your not so much on the road but your a part of it, your moulded tou you car and your car to the road, i love that feeling just you do haha

So.... Thats a legnum ruled out haha
        Whats left
        Gtr, sti, maybe evo, or work the fto haha
        Daniel2019
        Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

Im fairly sure that the galant would be at least a little bit better.

Can you not just disable all the electronic controls?
        I fix cars.
        dstocks
        National Vice President

Post by dstocks »

Im fairly sure that the galant would be at least a little bit better.
        Not enough to make a difference. I suspect that any car as heavy as that is going to have less feel to it. I guess the realisation that it is a family car is the point im making. If you want something that feels like the FTO, then you are going to have to look for something light.
        Can you not just disable all the electronic controls?
        Ahhhh, but then it would be worse
          Daniel2019
          Oldtimer

Post by Daniel2019 »

dstocks wrote:All the electronic gadgetry takes that feel away
          Maybe I have to drive one to understand what you mean :lol:
          I fix cars.
          den0va
          Grease Monkey

Post by den0va »

This electronix gadgetry you speak of... are you talking about Active Yaw Control (AYC)?