FAO bennoz

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

d_dan
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FAO bennoz

Post by d_dan »

Hey just wondering where did you get the following;
  • Lightened flywheel
    Ralliart grind hi spec cams
also do were these for piece of mind or did it give a gain?
  • Heavy duty double valve springs

also did this give much of a gain?
Big Bore throttle body[/list]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The flywheel is a standard unit, that I sent down to my local machinist & had him mill as much metal of as was possible. Its about to come out of the car & be replaced with an Aluminium unit from rpw - www.rpw.com.au. I think the machined unit has warped hence the change. Allloy unit is also lighter & stronger.

The Ralliart cams & double valve springs were part of a promotional 'pack' that Ralliart Hong Kong had planned for the FTO GR range. The 'pack' was scrapped due to lack of interest. I was lucky, my car and a handful of other GR's had these mods done as they were the development prototypes. The grind on the cams actually gave the lobes a slightly higher lift & snappier exhaust closing profile, hence the bigger valve springs were applied to stop valve bounce. Standard FTO springs are quite light duty, but unless you have a legitimate cam timing reason to go heavier, then heavier springs will do nothing more than put more load on the valve train & slow it down.

The throttle body is a standard unit. Again it was an item I pulled off & sent to my machine shop to have bored out & have a bigger throttle butterfly put in. I went as large as it would go with out then having to machine out the the mouth of the intake plenum as well - which I think from memory was about 63mm. Didn't make a huge difference but a small increase none the less. If you really wanted to make use of opening up the intake system, get a TB bored out to 65mm or bigger, have the plenum mach ported to suit & then have the intake (both sections) ported out & polished. You might find 5-10kws in there if you have an ECU that you could tune for the changes.