Welding

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Welding

Post by I8A4RE »

Ok looking at buying a welder and not sure which is the best and easist to use. I have a lot of gas welding expeience but have never used tig or mig. Which would be the best for me do yo think

It needs to be able to be used at home and good for a beginner. It will be used for mainly small exhaust jobs etc
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

if its just for exhaust jobs and the like, just get an arc welder
Racing in a VL is like being in the Special Olympics, coz even if you win, you're still a <u>RETARD</u>
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Arc?? You gotta be kidding me, Arc is a pain in the ass to use! If you're doing turbo plumbing or exhaust stuff, then just go grab a MIG. - nice & easy to use, will do all your piping work. TIG is more of an art form, takes a lot longer to get the hang of. TIG you use on fancy & thinner metals.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yeah after i wrote that i googled it and i think i'll be going mig

heres one i found on ebay do you think it will be alright for small jobs like my intercooler and exhaust stuff

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MIG-MAG-WELDER-1 ... dZViewItem
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
DaveO
Grease Monkey

Post by DaveO »

Buy as big a unit as you can afford. You can allways turn it down but you can't turn it up any higher than flat out.
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

DaveO wrote:Buy as big a unit as you can afford. You can allways turn it down but you can't turn it up any higher than flat out.
Can you tell me what would be considered as big

Cheers
DaveO
Grease Monkey

Post by DaveO »

I8A4RE wrote:
DaveO wrote:Buy as big a unit as you can afford. You can allways turn it down but you can't turn it up any higher than flat out.

Cheers
Typicaly the more amps they put out the more they cost.
To weld 5mm plate you need about a 200amp welder. Any smaller and you wont get the heat into it.
So say if you're going to build a trailer then about 200amp welder minimum.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

hes building a turbo kit not a trailer :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

DaveO wrote:
I8A4RE wrote:

Cheers
Typicaly the more amps they put out the more they cost.
To weld 5mm plate you need about a 200amp welder. Any smaller and you wont get the heat into it.
So say if you're going to build a trailer then about 200amp welder minimum.
Thanks dave, but yeah im welding steel piping (exhaust thickness), i think its like 1.5mm thick or something like that. However i will start looking at some heavy duty ones and see what the price difference is

Cheers Simon
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Hey mate, was just browsing the Autospeed articles & came across these .. thought you might be interested;

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108738/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108763/article.html
http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108765/article.html
DaveO
Grease Monkey

Post by DaveO »

jonowong wrote:hes building a turbo kit not a trailer :lol:
So 5 or 6 years down the road and you decide to build a trailer. You going to go out and buy an other welder? :?
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

lol, does anyone here even have a towbar for their FTO? :P
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

mr-charisma wrote:lol, does anyone here even have a towbar for their FTO? :P
Nevermind ... I think that they're the same people who have the optional roof racks ...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

mr-charisma wrote:
mr-charisma wrote:lol, does anyone here even have a towbar for their FTO? :P
Nevermind ... I think that they're the same people who have the optional roof racks ...
Ya never know... he might have to whip something up for his mums Rav 4 :lol:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

speaking of welders .. I've tried looking in Bunnings, Mitre 10 etc for an Oxy Acetylene torch, but they don't stock them .. anyone know roughly what they're worth & where I could find them?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

You wont find them at Bunnings. Got to BOC - keep in mind that with all this welding gear, you will need to create an account to hire out all the gas bottles you'll need. For oxy, you'll need Oxygen & Acytelene bottles, for mig you'll need Argon or C02 or a mix - and also keep in mind BOC bottle are rented out on a weekly basis, from memory its about $15 a week rent on a G size cylinder. That may differ from area to area.
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

whats wrong with arc on exhausts? i never had a problem with them, atleast for little repairs on exhaust cracks and holes etc...
i didnt think about turbo kit before i spoke.
can you even use MIG's on aluminium for the intake setup, or whatever I8A4RE's looking to do? i thought thats what TIG was for? why cant you just buy pre shaped pipes for your intake?
Racing in a VL is like being in the Special Olympics, coz even if you win, you're still a <u>RETARD</u>
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

manofwood wrote:whats wrong with arc on exhausts? i never had a problem with them, atleast for little repairs on exhaust cracks and holes etc...
Nothing, Im more concerned about technique. Much easier for a Queenslander to point a little nozzle & squeeze a trigger as opposed to starting an arc & controlling a 20+cm rod :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Im not a f**ken QLD'er ben :lol: . Isnt living with them punishment enough for being a kiwi :lol: .

So can mig be used for alloy or not???
DaveO
Grease Monkey

Post by DaveO »

I8A4RE wrote:Im not a f**ken QLD'er ben :lol: . Isnt living with them punishment enough for being a kiwi :lol: .

So can mig be used for alloy or not???
Yes
But you need differant gas, torch liner and wire and an AC/DC welder (not the rock band). They can be very expensive.
I would recomend buying an AC/DC TIG welder if your going to weld alloy and steel. No liners required, the same gas for steel and alloy and cheaper to by a pack of welding wire.
Plus you can still weld up that trailer of yours. :lol: