Air filter

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Air filter

Post by testlabmonkey »

Hey guys need a new air filter and was looking at the options.

I've read some good things about the ITG air filters but they dont seem easy to get in Aust. Also there is the UAS setup or something similar with the heat shield which also looks quite neat but at $400 + postage seams a little on the steep side.

Just wondering what the other fto'ers out there think.

Ben
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Currently running a K&N Air Extreme, great filter, cleanable, almost no restriction to flow. Bought from UAS for about $100 from memory...
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

should I be getting the intake pipe at the same time?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Unfortunately UAS dont make the pipe anymore. You'd probably be surprised what your local auto shop carries that you could use to make up your own pipe. I've just got 2 x 75mm diametre, 90 degree silicon pipe bends making up mine... purchased from Auto One.

Although from memory, your a GPX, so you wont have the air flow metre in the middle like I do. Just whack a length of 75mm pipe in there or something.
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

What about the heat shielding is there anywhere to get that from other than UAS?
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

I checked with UAS in December (you may have made a more recent enquiry) but they told me they didn't have any more heat shields. They said they'd contact me when they got new stock but I'm still waiting. So i just built my own using aluminium sheets, a few brackets and bolts. Mind you it did take me 5 hours. BTW I'm using the UAS intak pipe and was using their Unifilter. I realised the box I made wasnt too good so i reverted back to the stock box with a K&N panel filter feeding the UAS intake pipe. Pretty good response but I've lost a lot of the knarl. :roll:
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

yeah they still dont have any. They said that they would need about 15-20 people before they would run a batch... so unless there are another 15 or so people interested were outta luck :P.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Post by Supplanter »

*cough* group buy *cough*
LED ALL the things.
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

Unfortunately yes. I do think that the UAS box isnt all that great. See how you go and try building one yourself. It wont cost you more than $30 and its equally as good( or bad ) as the UAS one. But make sure you plan ahead before you start cutting any sheetmetal. I didnt plan and my box came out wonky and too small.

Testlabmonkey you said in your first post that you need a new airfilter? I'm assuming it's a pod so that's why youre looking for a box? Well have you thought about just using the stock air box and chucking in a panel filter? Then all you would need to do is to change your intake pipe. Just another option :D
oodLes
Mechanic

Post by oodLes »

Sorry to go a bit off topic here but a mate of mine is under the impression that pod filters restrict airflow rather than increase it. Any merit to this claim?
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

unfortunately i dont have the original box so not an option. as for pod filters restricting air flow i believe simple dyno testing will confirm which filter works best. I will go with the assumption that they are better than the stock paper filter. I have decided to make my own pipe and heat shield using proper heat shielding materials then shove a K&N 3 inch pod on the end.

Heat Shield Material
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

Best of luck with the build. Post up some pics after you're done :D
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

oodLes wrote:Sorry to go a bit off topic here but a mate of mine is under the impression that pod filters restrict airflow rather than increase it. Any merit to this claim?
dumbest thing I have heard.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

khunjeng wrote:
oodLes wrote:Sorry to go a bit off topic here but a mate of mine is under the impression that pod filters restrict airflow rather than increase it. Any merit to this claim?
+1

Was a 4kw gain on the dyno at UAS for me. Another 4kw gained from swapping out the stock intake pipe - also dyno test before & after.

Also, using the K&N air extreme on the UAS 300Z car, it recorded less than 0.5kw difference on the dyno when the filter was removed completely & it was sucking straight air.
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

Ok I have bought some sheets of heat shield and will start working on a template. Got a K&N 3 inch pod too so just need to sort out the custom pipe. Once I have some more details I will let you guys know so other can go down the same route.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

I can say with certainty if your POD is not boxed, you will be losing power period. You got to remember dynos is one thing, but in real terms your car does not have a fan constantly blowing on it at a set of traffic lights which means hot air.

Screw the pod, its for the noise, get a decent quality panel filter with a modified intake to your stock air box.

Theres no point spending so much time on your intake 5KW crap all. Remove the spare wheel from your car and floor mats probably do about the same.

But I guess when your chasing times down the quarter mile everything counts!
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

khunjeng wrote:
I guess it can put a negative effect on your car if not done right.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

An open pod would usually be better than a stock intake with paper filter.

Suck hot air ? Sure when your not moving. Once the car is moving, cool air comes up from under the car and from the front so the air being taken in by an open pod ain't too bad. Shielded or boxed is better however. :roll:
testlabmonkey
Grease Monkey

Post by testlabmonkey »

payaya wrote:5KW crap all.
Ummm.. I'll take 5kw where ever i can get it tyvm :). Since when is 5kw crap all in an fto? Maybe in a skyline 5kw is something to laugh about.

EDIT: HAHAHA... who set up the rule to replace the word sky1ine?
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Bloody misinformation going around :roll:

Lol, that would be courtesy of Bennoz's w0rd f1lter for the forums ahah.