which one is better ? D2 or G4 coilover ?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

yellowftogpx
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

which one is better ? D2 or G4 coilover ?

Post by yellowftogpx »

they got nearly the same price D2( $1300) G4 ($1400 ) , but i dont know which one is better ? D2 got only 1yr warranty , but G4 got 2yrs warranty ..anyone here tried G4 ?how is it ? good for daily driving ? G4 got lower spring rates than D2 .. which one do u guys rekon?
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

They are pretty much identical. Not a whole lot of difference if any.
Just remember to choose wise spring rates.
devil2004
Grease Monkey

Post by devil2004 »

x2 to what kid said.

Spring rates makes a HUGE difference, especially down Parramatta Rd :lol:
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

here is a suggeston since this is about ther 4th post on a similar topic.

Take your car to a good suspension place and have them give u a run down on what is good and what is not. There are plenty more options than this brand. THey will also suggest good spring rates for your needs and suggest things like staybars etc if you really want good setup.

Its a total package.
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

I had G4 in my old car and let me say I would not put them in again,
it handeled great but bumppy S**T you run over a twigg 1mm thick and you think you have hit a pot holl I would look at other options but thats me :D
they are great for trak but road nogood
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

That just depends on spring rate and damper setting though (well mostly).

G4 and D2 eeh...between the two, i myself would go for G4, as you just buy from justjap and it's 2 years replacement warranty. I think D2 is fix first, then replace if it can't be fixed. a lot of coilovers come out of the same factory anyways or use parts from big brands but assembled somewhere with cheaper labour. It's true for a lot of industries really...
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

G4 has a 24 point ajustment on them I changed all settings to get a softer ride but still no good.
the two year warranty is great and they do handell verry well so if you can put up with the bumps they are a great setup

also look at sports springs and shocks and add the pillow tops on to them will do the same thing but with a softer ride up to you
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Yeah there's a lot of variations in amount of damper settings. But a lot of the parts, you'll probably find, are the same (same manufacturer etc).

You can even get coilovers that are only a slight bit harder than factory suspension, but maybe a waste of money.

I'm thinking coilovers give more lateral rigidity as well compared to shock spring combo, someone correct me if i'm wrong please. Certainly felt like it when my coilovers went in, but could've been my old suspension just generally being old and stuffed too.
bonker

Post by bonker »

Ive been doing my homework and i took my car to the mechanics to get my breaks changed. Mechanic advised me to get my shocks changed as he was feeling the tyres with his hands saying that the tyres were not smooth and had bumps on it which resulted in the shocks not behaving the way it should. He suggested monroe shocks because of our poor bumpy roads in sydney. Which i doubt they have monroe for fto, i take look at rpw kyb excel range. Not too sure if i should get that but its quite cheap and its gas shocks. Front is around 230 and back is 170. I assume koni would be double that price so i decided to look in ebay. I found d2 full suspension kit for front and back for 995. Sounds like a deal and brand new what u guys rekon? Im looking for a smooth non-bumpy drive not for street racing or doing fast turn because i think fto corners awesome compared to all other cars ive driven.

Kind regards
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

The KYB gas shocks are actually pretty good. Couple them with a stiffer lowering spring (like Tein, Apex or King) and you'll find its nice tight package that's perfect for spirited road use.
frozenwaffles
Grease Monkey

Post by frozenwaffles »

i have three letters for you... HKS!
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

Go to rated r group at silverwater for a full set of TEIN coilovers jap spec for $1600, sh*ts all over d2 and g4, japan quality not brit built taiwan assembled crap.
i just did a driving course at oran park and beat a 200sx with 220kw at the wheels (and a 12.6 1/4 mile) in slalom stage by over a second, and that was only with the front coilovers installed!
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

jap spec.... how did that feel on autralia's bumpy road?
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Jap spec are no good out here. We got members that were racing on Jap Spec & they had to have the convereted to Aus spec cause they were causing time losses rather than gains...
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

Bennoz wrote:Jap spec are no good out here. We got members that were racing on Jap Spec & they had to have the convereted to Aus spec cause they were causing time losses rather than gains...
whys that?
BorepYano
Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

they r built for perfectly smooth rd, not what we have here, end up boucing around on our crappy rds
suppose it wont matter on the track much (u'd hope at least the tracks here are smooth)
kiz wrote:
silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
manofwood
Veteran Mechanic

Post by manofwood »

i bought mine off Delvance, they're fine! a bit annoying on parramatta rd for example but they arent rock solid pricks like people make them out to be, unless they're on a different setting i guess. i've got 35 profile tyre too
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Jap spec teins on a track should outperform aus spec teins??!!! No way would it be a time loss... The aus spec ones are more geared towards comfort than performance.

I ran jap spec teins (type HA) on my car for almost a year and i loved them. Easily beating a supra in touge in RNP and slightly bettering a wrx with sti spring/shock setup and i don't even have an lsd.

I suppose it comes down to how you like your car though...i tried to make my car more raw by removing weight, beefing sound up and ran the jap teins. Awesome driving experience for me (my best mate loved it too but thought the suspension was just a tad hard).

Goodstuff manofwood!! Show those turbos in the curves!
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Aussie tracks are like Aussie roads. sh*t compared to the rest of the world.

If your setup is too hard (even on the softest setting) the strut assembly will be pushed up by a bump & it will come down too fast - usually before the bump is over. This leads to a loss of traction, the tyre will skip, drop then slide.

This info ^^ I get is from guys who run on tracks regularly, not street racers. If unsure have a word to Fulcrum Suspension in QLD, they are the only authorised Tein rebuilder in Aus. They get over a dozen sets of Teins for various makes & models in a week to be respeced from Jap to Aus. Typically the damper & rebound settings range is relaxed.

Driving style can have an effect yes, but your style needs to adapt to be the quickest on a track, not to adapt to the suspension.
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

Makes me not wanna visit our tracks after reading that :roll:
I knew our roads aren't up there with the best...but they could've made the track decent =/.

Yes, my best mate commented the arse on my fto hopped a bit during touge runs in RNP but i kinda liked it myself, gave the car character and brought more driving enjoyment. Driving's just so personal though...each to their own. But back then i would've thought jap spec would've produced better times. Well regardless, bettering a turbo 4wd with sti sussy setup was already pretty satisfying for me.

For on the road driving, i'm sure everyone uses a different style than on the track (or mostly), but yeah i agree on the track, the car should definitely be set up to connect with the driver, not the other way around. But then again, how do you define style ?! :)