engine mods

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Mel_star_1
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

engine mods

Post by Mel_star_1 »

ok im looking at modding my engine (its MIVEC)

ive browsed quite a lot and used the search function but i need some straight answers now.

exhaust systems, ...whats that standard piping diamter? im asuming a 2.25 - 2.5 inch system would be more than enough for these small engines asuming they are atmo ?

Having a 4 speed tiptronic, does the ehaust get very droney down low if i had a cannon? does anyone have a magna flow muffler fitted ? im not sure what to fit

I read some of u have magna throttle bodys, do these bolt right on or do they need to be modified?

what are the stock diametres for MIVEC tb's? (60mm ? )

Do Fto's use the same air flow sensor as the magnas? and if so FTO's would be better off with an oval pod that most modded mtsus use rather than my cheapo paper pod i have now ?

Magna throttle bodies can be bòred out to 70mm.. (72 mm if u really push it) have any of u guys done this ?

Is it not worth my time getting head work done if i have a mivec? will it likly cause problems ?

Can the FTO ECU be reflashed? or do u need a piggy back to do so ?

there is a product for Vtechs where u can lower or raise the amount of revs when the valves open up , is something like this available for FTO's ?

i dont think modifying this engine to be an atmo beast will give me the gains i want for the right amount of $$$, i dont want turbo, plus ive heard turbo + mivec is bad news, sooooooooooooo

what supercharger kits are out there ?rpw i assume? what else? nothing extreme.

lastly, i am able to get performace parts at a pretty good price from freinds of mine, im thinknig about a simple nos kit. (for now)

how much HP is safe ? im thinking a 75 hp nozzle would do the job and not cause any damage ?

thanks for your help, sorry if its been covered before :)
[img]http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o276/mel_star_1/melstar2ip8.jpg[/img]
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Re: engine mods

Post by kid_dynamite »

Mel_star_1 wrote:exhaust systems, ...whats that standard piping diamter? im asuming a 2.25 - 2.5 inch system would be more than enough for these small engines asuming they are atmo ?

Yep. Any larger not necessary.
Mel_star_1 wrote:Having a 4 speed tiptronic, does the ehaust get very droney down low if i had a cannon? does anyone have a magna flow muffler fitted ? im not sure what to fit
Tiptronic doesn't really affect how droney it is. If your exhaust drones it's because it's too large for the current airflow. Consider extractors before you do catback anyway, better performance gains.
Mel_star_1 wrote:I read some of u have magna throttle bodys, do these bolt right on or do they need to be modified?

what are the stock diametres for MIVEC tb's? (60mm ? )

Magna throttle bodies can be bòred out to 70mm.. (72 mm if u really push it) have any of u guys done this ?
FTO TB 60mm. You can bore it out (63mm is a common figure), or drop in a 65mm Magna one. Any larger you'll be losing low throttle performance anyway.
Mel_star_1 wrote:Do Fto's use the same air flow sensor as the magnas? and if so FTO's would be better off with an oval pod that most modded mtsus use rather than my cheapo paper pod i have now ?
GPX uses a MAP sensor, not AFM.
Not sure what 'oval pod' you are referring to, but you'd be better off adding a cold air intake rather than switching pods, unless your current one is no good.
Mel_star_1 wrote:Is it not worth my time getting head work done if i have a mivec? will it likly cause problems ?
I'd say costs don't justify the gains.
Mel_star_1 wrote:Can the FTO ECU be reflashed? or do u need a piggy back to do so ?
Can't be reflashed. You need a piggyback or a full replacement (eg Microtech, MoTec etc).
Mel_star_1 wrote:there is a product for Vtechs where u can lower or raise the amount of revs when the valves open up , is something like this available for FTO's ?
Yes, but it will reduce performance, has been discussed and tested before. MIVEC point is at it's optimum.
Mel_star_1 wrote:i dont think modifying this engine to be an atmo beast will give me the gains i want for the right amount of $$$, i dont want turbo, plus ive heard turbo + mivec is bad news, sooooooooooooo
Nothing wrong with turbo on a MIVEC, Samson has done his recently. Check the FTO Turbo section.
Mel_star_1 wrote:what supercharger kits are out there ?rpw i assume? what else? nothing extreme.
No kits out there. All custom. Bennoz is working on something with his GR (non-MIVEC). Details in the Turbo FTO section.
Mel_star_1 wrote:lastly, i am able to get performace parts at a pretty good price from freinds of mine, im thinknig about a simple nos kit. (for now)

how much HP is safe ? im thinking a 75 hp nozzle would do the job and not cause any damage ?
As long as you've got all the supports sorted a 75hp will be fine. Fuel system, ignition timing, etc. But even 50hp should yield you decent gains.
TCGPX
Grease Monkey

Post by TCGPX »

Mel_star_1 wrote:Having a 4 speed tiptronic, does the ehaust get very droney down low if i had a cannon? does anyone have a magna flow muffler fitted ? im not sure what to fit
Have a chat to Marky Mark at Exhaust Technology on Goodwood Rd. They did my cat back zorst recently and have also done DesertStormBlack's (Another Adelaide member).

I've got a Magnaflow fitted to mine with Dual outlets from the muffler (Every hoon has a cannon these days, I like to be different :wink:). Tried it with no resonator first but it had a really harsh raspy sound around 2500 rpm and was very droney inside the car. Fitted the resonator and now it sounds sweet as. Very happy with it :D

Cruise is only a couple of weeks away, if your still coming you can get an earfull of it then as well as talk to some of the other Adelaide members bout theirs.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1613/sigpic2se2.jpg[/img]
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

kid_dynamite wrote:
Tiptronic doesn't really affect how droney it is. If your exhaust drones it's because it's too large for the current airflow. Consider extractors before you do catback anyway, better performance gains.
I dont agree regarding the extractors. I agree they have been proven to give you some low down response however the CAT needs to be upgraded to a hi-flo or de-cat it. The CAT is the most restrictive part of the system. Bang for buck, its easily the best upgrade as fitting is cheap and easy.

Also replace the intake pipe, use an Apexi pod and route the air directly from the front bar - make sure to make a cover for it.

If you want a magna TB..i will sell you one and donate the proceeds to the FTO Autosalon stand. Some ppl have said it bolts straight up...others say it needs some slight mods...never tried myself
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

khunjeng wrote:
kid_dynamite wrote:
I dont agree regarding the extractors. I agree they have been proven to give you some low down response however the CAT needs to be upgraded to a hi-flo or de-cat it. The CAT is the most restrictive part of the system. Bang for buck, its easily the best upgrade as fitting is cheap and easy.

Also replace the intake pipe, use an Apexi pod and route the air directly from the front bar - make sure to make a cover for it.

If you want a magna TB..i will sell you one and donate the proceeds to the FTO Autosalon stand. Some ppl have said it bolts straight up...others say it needs some slight mods...never tried myself
Hehe, I disagree that the cat is the most restrictive part... the stock collector pipe where the headers meet up under the motor is... then the cat. Moral of the story:- If you're gonna play with exhausts, do the whole damn lot in one go to maximise the gain. From heads to tips.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I disagree that you disagree :). Remove your cat and see the gains you will get. Esp. from an old stock one.

I have seen some dyno results from the extractors which indicated to me the stock ones were not all that bad.

I do agree do the whole lot if you serious. But the CAT and muffler are your first points of call.

Personally I got a 7% gain from stock with just cat and muffler upgrades. Run before and after, same dyno etc.

You should see the results when i removed the cat from my r33 also...massive.
Mel_star_1
Grease Monkey

Post by Mel_star_1 »

how many brands of extractors are there? cos as i understood it, when upgrading extractors your really just taking power from one part of the rev range and putting it in another part.

what brand is the most popular brand ... bang for buck... and where do certain brands put the bulk of their power as different extractors are design for different things.

how much for a magna throttle body?

yeah marky is good, however is expensive and for good reason. Ive seen his work close up on NVMYRE s8 rx7 and a 929 with yakuza plates ( the custom flutes he does with magna flow muffler) plus he rocks cos he has some of my friends sticker on his shop and his drift car hehe shamless plug

so is anyone here successfuly running nos, is it dry or wet nos system ?

and can anyone post up any Atmo dyno charts u got of your cars with what mods u did ?

thansk again :)
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Mel_star_1 wrote:how many brands of extractors are there? cos as i understood it, when upgrading extractors your really just taking power from one part of the rev range and putting it in another part.

what brand is the most popular brand ... bang for buck... and where do certain brands put the bulk of their power as different extractors are design for different things.
As far as I'm aware they are only sold off the shelf by
RPW in Perth - http://www.rpw.com.au
UAS in Sydney - http://www.nismo.com.au

I am onto my second set of RPWs (two cars) and would recommend them.

I wouldn't say they add power to one part of your powerband at the expense of another - that's why you need to have a well thought out exhaust system. Extractors are only part of it, and like khunjeng and bennoz said - you need to consider the whole system, not just one area.
Mel_star_1 wrote:how much for a magna throttle body?
Wouldn't expect to pay more than $100 for the TB, plus fitting costs.
Mel_star_1 wrote:so is anyone here successfuly running nos, is it dry or wet nos system ?
I've seen pictures of both on FTOs, a mate has had a dry setup installed on his GPX for about 18 months, hasn't dynoed it as far as I'm aware but no issues.
Mel_star_1 wrote:and can anyone post up any Atmo dyno charts u got of your cars with what mods u did ?
There are a couple of dyno threads around:
http://ftoaustralia.com/modules.php?nam ... pic&t=4657

Expect around 100kw for a stock GPX
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

yeah no point doing extractors if u have a stock cat...

I would expect you to get around 95kw with a stock FTO, tip maybe 100 for a manual.

like anything u can run big power...but for how long?
Mel_star_1
Grease Monkey

Post by Mel_star_1 »

can anyone verify for me if a stock magna throttle body fits directly on, or does the plenum need to be shaved slightly?

and to those who have put a magna throttle body on, did u dremel out the inner restrictive lip or leave it be, RPW do this to the magna throttle bodies and charge over 300 bucks.

i read on the RPW website they have a 65mm FTO tb ... look to me like they r magna throttle bodies but just for sale for almsot 700 bucks is this true ? .

thank u all :)
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

The Magna one that fits (not all do) still requires the plenum to be machined to suit the larger intake. It bolts one but if you don't machine it, you'll have a msmatch (60mm vs 65mm).

Not sure about the inner lip though, I think the gains would be minimal and possibly backwards if you stuff it up.
Mel_star_1
Grease Monkey

Post by Mel_star_1 »

all 6g72/4 magna throttle bodies should fit as they r identical regardless of 3L or 3.5L.

its very easy to take out the inner lip, it does not really give more power but give more response to the throttle.

so the plenum will need to be matchedeither way i ges hmmm
kid_dynamite
Veteran Mechanic

Post by kid_dynamite »

Mel_star_1 wrote:all 6g72/4 magna throttle bodies should fit as they r identical regardless of 3L or 3.5L.

its very easy to take out the inner lip, it does not really give more power but give more response to the throttle.

so the plenum will need to be matchedeither way i ges hmmm
Actually the second gen magna's only have 60mm TBs, 3rd gens 65mm.
Mel_star_1
Grease Monkey

Post by Mel_star_1 »

sorry thought u knew i was i talking bout a 24v 6g72/4 as opposed to the old 12 valve 6g72

this is not something id even wanna contemplate where could i get it machined to fit the TB in, places in adelaide
Richy
Mechanic

Post by Richy »

thought better to dig up a related old thread than starting a new one....

story is that i bought the 65mm TB and manifold upgrade package from rpw..and have asked maytech to fit them in. apparently mayan@maytech said the new 65mm tb doesnt work very well during tuning, as he cant idle the car properly due to the gap between the butterfly and the housing (car idles at 3000rpm or something like that apparently).

has anyone got a set of these fitted in their ftos??

any ideas..??
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Yeah you need to port the mouth of the plenum to suit the TB. Still a waste of money if you ask me. Pull the heads off & deck 'em.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

kid_dynamite wrote:
Mel_star_1 wrote:i dont think modifying this engine to be an atmo beast will give me the gains i want for the right amount of $$$, i dont want turbo, plus ive heard turbo + mivec is bad news, sooooooooooooo
Nothing wrong with turbo on a MIVEC, Samson has done his recently. Check the FTO Turbo section.
Hahaha... yeh... read up... and you'll never turbo your MIVEC...

Lasted a good 2 months before the rings died... lol...

Stick with NOS...

Just do Extractors, Exhaust (2.5" with Highflow cat), Battery to boot and a nice big smooth Air intake, K&N POD, Cold air intake, maybe lightweight Pulleys, Coilover suspension, Lightweight Alloys, Piggyback your ECU and give it a tune....

Any more than that and a 50-75hp shot of NOS should be fine, just be carefull... Get a Fuel upgrade (run 98RON and get a Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Reg...)

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.