Insurance?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G1
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by G1 »

thats funny coz i got paid out over 26000 (market value) from just cars for my 97 FTO with stereo, wheels and sideskirts included... excess would have been about $1500 but i didnt pay a cent since it was not my fault. my premium was ridiculous though.. i was only rating 4 and 25 with some speeding fines etc...

im with famous insurance now
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I'm 25, so I don't have to pay any age excess. As for if the car was stolen, I assumed that it was just $1050 + $600 for theft, not 2 lots of $600. But you've put some doubt into my head FTO338 and I'll give them a call ASAP.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

you should also consider the area where the car is often parked at night... obviously your premium will skyrocket through the roof if your car is parked in a high-theft risk area like St Albans/Dandenong compared to areas like Toorak/Hawthorn or what have you...

i think if you have an anti-theft immobiliser fitted to your car, it will lower your premiums as well, but having said that it's true what fto338 said - the premiums may be cheap, but the excess will be an absolute rip off!

sadly, insurance is something we all hate, but yet it's not something we can get by without... much like politics!
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Yeah, I have a 2-point immobiliser with a black wire harness. But this did not lower my premium - it was a REQUIREMENT from Just Car. Has anyone got a 3-point immobiliser?
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Yep. I have got a 3 point immobliser / alarm from Brant (model AA02A)
My insurance company required it and I got a $50 discount from Brant after mentioning the insurance company. I can't remember the cost in total but I think it was somewhere around $800-$850 ?

http://www.brant.com.au/html/carsec.htm

AA02

Perhaps the most flexible security product on the market and recognised as an industry benchmark through many insurers insistence on this product to protect high risk vehicles.

AA02 is a code-hopping remote system with three (3) fully integrated immobiliser circuits, universal central locking capability, boot/trunk release facility, all black unmarked wiring with twin earths and 'dummy' cables, passive (automatic) immobilisation 40 seconds after ignition off, automatic re-arm/re-lock (in case of accidental turnoff), hyper bright flashing warning dash light, memory and diagnostics, power window lift capability and is regarded as the premium engine immobiliser on the market.

AA02A

Offers all of the above features plus full alarm facilities including your Choice of any or all of the following -

Self powered backup battery siren / Concealed internal siren / Ultrasonic movement detector / Two stage impact sensor / Remote panic (standard) / Auto locking (anti carjacking)

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

yeah i've got a 3 points from Mongoose, its insurance approved, cost me $475, it got almost the same feature as the Brant AA02 & AA02A the only thing different is it doesn't have "dummy" wire.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

Yeah that's right.
The Brant isn't necessarily a better alarm it's just that they are "in bed" with the insurance companies, so many insuance companies demand a Brant alarm (where Brant makes their money).

There are no requirements for a Brant alarm, but only an alarm that conforms to the australian standards, and some insurance companies may demand a minunm of 3 point immboliser.

Before you purchase an alarm make sure it conforms to the australian standard (sorry can't give you the exact number) and then you just really need to provide the certificate to the insurance company.

As far as the requirements on the standard from what I can remmeber they are as follows:
- Passive auto arming immobiliser (45 second?)
- All black wiring
- Backup battery
- Code hopping
- Minimum 2 point engine immobiliser ?

There may be more that I can't remember.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Well most of the insurance company i know now require 3 points! And at rates the things its going, as MattG point out the problem of "in bed",
insurance company most likely want 4 points & above by next yr, all in the name of "security" (which mean money deals with alarm companys).
princessblade

Post by princessblade »

If you guys still looking at insurance try torque insurance it is about $2500 per year and only $750 excess. i am over 25 but give them a go anyway
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hey princessblade!! Whats your rating? & wats torque insurance r like when it comes 2 modifications??
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

i just gave famous a call and they quoted me $2300!! i thought they were better than just cars!! what gives?
princessblade

Post by princessblade »

I am Rating 1 and it is only $705 per year but you cant let drivers under 25 drive it on that low premium. That is for comprehensive insurance with $750 excess and agreed value not market value. you need a approved immobiliser. this is for Torque insurance
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I heard from someone that Just Car Insurance is the market leader on insuring import cars simply because the combination of premium and excess is good and their policies about mods are good. Nuff said!

PS: One disappointment for me is that Just Car does not offer a courtesy car :roll:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

princessblade wrote:If you guys still looking at insurance try torque insurance it is about $2500 per year and only $750 excess. i am over 25 but give them a go anyway
HUH?? i'm confuse, u said $2500 before, now u said $750 per yr?? Which one is correct?

Well heres some news that ppl might not know, Just Cars & Shannon are both actually own by AAMI. So doesn't that makes u wonder why r they so much different in prices hey! I guess its call "Target Market"
princessblade

Post by princessblade »

the first quote i gave was if u were a rating 6 $2500 and the other quote is if u were a rating 1 $705 sorry if i confussed you.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Are they OWNED by AAMI or just underwritten? There's a difference.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

princessblade that sounds good, but like i said, what they like with modifications?? & have u got there contact details?

Well rxboy, thats what my friend told me, who work at Just Cars, & i ask him the same question as well, he assure me AAMI owns them! Well we can always look it up at the ASIC to make sure! Even it really doesn't concern anyone! heeheheh
princessblade

Post by princessblade »

I dont know what they are like about modifications but i can give you there phone number as they cover all of australia.
PH 1300 369 769 give em a go and see what u come up with.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Not that it's important but I'm curious. I'm gonna look through all the letters and papers they've sent me and check it out.

PS: Shannons sux cos they will only insure a "car enthusiast". Nobody knows what the fornication is their definition of that. They snobbishly told me over the phone that I don't meet their criteria :roll: pffffffft
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Thax princessblade, i give them a call 2morrow morning!!

Well rxboy, what i know the meaning of the term of "car enthusiast" apart from "wankers" is that your car have 2 be limited numbers, classic, or very very very very expensive.

eg: Mecedes SL280, 320, 500 & 600 cause there are not many on the road. Especailly 280 & 320, due to the fact the SL280 is a classic now, & 320 were never brough into Australia via Merc dealer, only as a private import. While the 500 & 600 are bloody expensive! So the SL series is the best example i know of!