speakers

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

rxboy
Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by rxboy »

OK, just been to Freeway Car Audio in Malvern and cleared a few things up. It IS better to have the sub firing into the boot rather than the rear seats. And a few of you have made some underestimations about the price of a 4x100W RMS amp. The Alpine one they had was about $700. Does anyone know of a better value amp (but can't have less power)? The Alpine Type R sub is 300W RMS and needs at least 200W to get decent bass out of it (hence the 4X100W RMS amp).
Hez
Grease Monkey

Post by Hez »

as i said earlier sub firing the back is best for hatches but are u sure about an FTO i'm jus curious. :D
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

The direction of the subs and the type of enclosure.. really depends on which subwoofer you buy.. this is were things can get really technical.. and you start talking about things like VAS and what not...

most sealed box subs (im assuming) would sound a lot puchier firing streight into the back seats.. firing backwards would be a bit too boomy i would thinkfor my taste and you are basically making the boot into a bandpass enclosure... (that means a box inside a box..) you will get louder bass most likley from firing backwards.. but you might not like the sound...

the best bet is to buy your amps and sub get a box built to suit the sub..

then experiment yourself to which position gets the best sound..

like i said before.. everyone has different tastes.. so no one is compleatly right on any of these topics... you your ears man.. they are the best judge
Hez
Grease Monkey

Post by Hez »

yeh true, (out of the topic) are they vinyl stickers on ya car boney?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rxboy wrote:OK, just been to Freeway Car Audio in Malvern and cleared a few things up. It IS better to have the sub firing into the boot rather than the rear seats. And a few of you have made some underestimations about the price of a 4x100W RMS amp. The Alpine one they had was about $700. Does anyone know of a better value amp (but can't have less power)? The Alpine Type R sub is 300W RMS and needs at least 200W to get decent bass out of it (hence the 4X100W RMS amp).
unless you intend to enter SPL soundoff or db drag-racing events, i feel that 4x100 is a slight overkill for a daily driver... my friend uses 50wrmsx4 on his Alpine V12 sub and on full blast, they are still VERY LOUD and clear (using 1x 12" ZR sub and Phonix Gold Tantrum splits up front on a 2003 Civic hatchback) and we just couldn't stand having it on full blast for more than 5 mins coz it is just too much and the panels were starting to rattle like crazy... but hey, that's just me.

if you want maximum bang for your buck, i cannot suggest Cadence strongly enough - i have only heard nothing but good things about them, so why not give them a go?
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I'm not so worried about the loudness as I am about the sound quality. The stock FTO speakers are actually loud enough, but the sound does seem to get distorted.

Would I be able to run a 300W RMS Alpine 10" Type R sub from 2 bridged 75W RMS channels or should I just get a weaker Type S sub?

Do you know which retailer stocks the Cadence brand Mikey? And who stocks this JL brand u were talking about before?
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rxboy wrote:I'm not so worried about the loudness as I am about the sound quality. The stock FTO speakers are actually loud enough, but the sound does seem to get distorted.

Would I be able to run a 300W RMS Alpine 10" Type R sub from 2 bridged 75W RMS channels or should I just get a weaker Type S sub?

Do you know which retailer stocks the Cadence brand Mikey? And who stocks this JL brand u were talking about before?
Type-R subs are dual voice coil, hence you will need an expensive amp to run it. IMO Type-S should be able to do the job and it can be run from almost any amp you want... bridging 2x 75wrms channels should give you plenty of power to drive the sub. It won't be as clear as the Type-R at full noise, but then again how often would you crank it up?

JB Hifi stocks Cadence amps and JL Audio subs, and if you haggle enough they'll give you very very good prices... just remember not get them installed by JB though', coz their workmanship is just shocking sometimes!
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Cool, thanx for that Mikey. I'll check out JB tomorrow.

The Alpine multi-channel amps only come in 100WRMSX4 or 65WRMSX4, so I'll see what Cadence has to offer. I wonder if Freeway Car Audio installs equipment not sold by them?

The other remaining question are the front splits. I'm just wondering if 6.5" (160mm) will fit into the current bracket or whether I need to have a new one made. I'm also worried about the clearance between the window mechanism and the speaker magnet and what depth magnet will actually fit.

Sorry about all the questions people. Like I said, I'm a noob when it comes to car audio :oops:
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

Have been reading these audio threads with great interest, going to have a look at Freeway Car audio this week.
Am looking at a set up as Boney describes, will prolly have to have the sub into the back seats as I need the bootspace for domestic use.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Hey JagerMarty, maybe we can get a discount if we get ours installed together. I'm still far from making any sort of purchase (probably more than a couple of months), but post a message on this thread if and when u're interested.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

FYI rxboy...

More info on Cadence amps available here --> www.cadencesound.com

be sure to get a carbonfibre finish on the coverplate too coz they look awesome!

btw, i'm sure Alpine 4/3/2ch amps come in 50x4 as well, but it's been a while since i had a look at their latest offerings on catalogue...!! :oops:
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

I'll keep that in mind, I'm planning on spending about $1000 so once I get an idea of what I'll be buying I'll post it.
This Malvern place sounds good though, handy to me too, will suss them out about installation etc
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

Checked out Cadence and JL Audio at JB today....

The Cadence 4X75W RMS amp is a little pricey ($700), but looks mad like u said 02NV.

The JL Audio 10W0 125W RMS sub sounds great and great value for $360 in a specially made enclosure. It sounded better than the 300W RMS Kicker sub.... so Kicker goes out the window. The pricier option is a JL Audio 10W3 300W RMS sub for $460 in a box.

And the JL Audio VR600-CSi 6" splits are also great value and have thin magnets which will fit no problem.

Since all u guys say that JB does a sh*tty job with installation, it's just a matter of finding out if Freeway Car Audio will install it.

PS: does anyone know if Evolution R in Clayton does a decent install? Their Alpine stuff is a little cheaper than Freeway's.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

when are you thinking of getting your gear rxboy? maybe we should hold out until all of us (you, myself and jagermarty) go shopping together to get some good deals from JB.

as for installation, i'd be interested to know who can carry out the job too...
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I'm thinking of doing it in the next couple of months. I just went on a shopping spree for my FTO in June..... bought brand new ROH rims and Potenza GIIIs ..... so I'm kinda feeling guilty at the moment :oops:

So I decided to take my time with the audio and really investigate lots of brands and retailers. This way, by the time I make a decision and purchase, I won't be feeling so guilty anymore :lol: . Plus, I'm sure that I will make the best choice at the best price, hopefully.

So as soon as I decide on the products, it's just a matter of waiting for one of these retailers to have some sort of sale. Pity that I just missed the JB stocktake sale :(

So I'm definitely willing to hold out so all of us can arrange something together. What do u say JagerMarty???
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

Won't be spending $$ for at least 6 weeks, looks like we'll have a completely shite ski season unfortunately, but will prolly have more to spend late Aug/early sept.
Gotta make time to have a look at this stuff first and as said before, will post what I might be aiming at to get opinions.
Boney
Apprentice

Post by Boney »

I cant stress enough how highly i think of all the guys and gals at freeway in malven.. they are top notch!

as for installation... why dont you find an ex-audio installer and ask if he will do you a favour? *wink* wink* *Cough* cough*
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

Hint taken, will suss out some gear and take it from there ...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Boney wrote:as for installation... why dont you find an ex-audio installer and ask if he will do you a favour? *wink* wink* *Cough* cough*
8O you mean, ....you'll do it for free?? 8O :D
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

Well,
had a look at FreewayAudio in malvern, staff very good, plenty of nice gear there as well.
Am looking at Alpine stuff at the mo, a MRP-M350 amp and
a 12" SWS-1241D sub to be custom boot mounted immediately behind back seats to retain as much boot space as poss.
Won't be purchasing for prolly a month or so, so will still have a look around...
.... thoughts?