EXC
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by EXC »

2 way.
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

really? and you didnt see much improvement in traction? FWD have the most trouble with traction, so i would have thought it would help substantially...

which brand?

2 ways are more for straight line traction though i heard...
for cornering you need 1 way or 1.5 way...

im thinking of getting 1 way cusco lsd....
EXC
Apprentice

Post by EXC »

I mean for drags and stuff I got no traction going down.

From take off wheel spin, first to second wheel spin and even sometiems from 3rd to 4th you get a chirp or the start of some spin.

FWD its pretty damn difficult I wonder how danny worked around it, cause i get mega wheelspin which sucks cause it slows you down in drags!

let me know how much yours improves your FTO G1
elmo
Grease Monkey

wheelspin

Post by elmo »

Me thinks danny is having the same problems.
Reckon a TCL piggy back system would do it? (if there is such a thing)
ray

Post by ray »

is anybody know how much is the RPW turbo kit???
ray
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

The kit has not been finalised as yet and therefore they have not got a price.
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

I get wheel spin in all 5 gears when the boost comes on, will be getting some road going slicks but am worried about blowing the gearbox.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

dannyboyau wrote:I get wheel spin in all 5 gears when the boost comes on, will be getting some road going slicks but am worried about blowing the gearbox.
yeh, i'd get the tyres sorted... normal street tyres (albeit the sporty ones) are never designed to cope with so much power from a FWD, so maybe a switch to slicks or semi-slicks might help... but i wouldn't use them on a std gearbox like you said - the strain on the drivetrain will be far too horrendous and costly to fix!
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

What about an anti-lift/dive kit? This will stop the front of the car lifting under acceleration and help keep the wheels down.

M@
bulldog

more power to the fto

Post by bulldog »

speaking of turbo and nos (see earlier posts) for the fto- is it an option to consider a supercharger of some kind for the fto? I haven't seen it mentioned at all... is there any reason? I am very new to all of this, and don't really have much of clue...

I ask because a friend of a friend builds superchargers. He has previously put one on a 2.0L Camry, a Lancer and a Pajero. Apparently the Camry used to suprise people, but he hasn't taken the Lancer to the quarter mile yet. I just thought it might be an option for the fto and am wondering if anyone has tried it before.
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

EXC have you got any Hp figures on yours recently, just wondering if you had any problems with the CV joints yet or drive shafts. I know you strengthened the auto was there anything else you had strengthened at the same time

I am expecting to blow the gearbox sooner or later, also does anyone out there know if any of the other turbo FTOs have been manuals.

Took mine for a spin this afternoon after we fitted the new exhaust and modified the external waste gate and got 18 Lb boost, but she just cant keep traction still flys though. Going on the dyno again on friday, should be interesting to see what it gets now.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

bulldog, i believe RPW had once started on a supercharger project for the FTO, but later abandoned it for a twinturbo MIVEC and abandoned it again for the single turbo setup currently in development.

danny, you should speak to Ivan or Tim from RPM Performance in SA - they have carried out numeorus turbo conversions on FTOs there so they know quite a bit about what's involved...
bulldog

supercharging fto's

Post by bulldog »

thanks 02NV, that's interesting to know. Does anybody with a better mechanical knowledge than me (that includes all of you, and most family pets as well :oops: ) have any thoughts on possible advantages/disadvantages of looking into supercharging the fto as opposed to fitting a turbo? is turbo simply a more popular option or is there some basic reasoning behind it?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Re: supercharging fto's

Post by FTO338 »

bulldog wrote:Does anybody with a better mechanical knowledge than me (that includes all of you, and most family pets as well :oops: )
Wow since u so good, why bother asking? & why anyone want 2 answer you??
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

basic, it just comes down to availability of room to fit it in
D-TRAIN
Mechanic

Post by D-TRAIN »

Man, I think he just meant to say that he knows there are people out there (including yes..family pets) that have more knowledge than him.

It was a poor attempt at humour but go easy man.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I have started a new thread just on supercharging so we can keep this one just about turbos.

M@
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Re: supercharging fto's

Post by GPXXX »

FTO338 wrote:
bulldog wrote:Does anybody with a better mechanical knowledge than me (that includes all of you, and most family pets as well :oops: )
Wow since u so good, why bother asking? & why anyone want 2 answer you??
yeh buddy, i think you took it a little but too much out of context... 2 words man - CHILL PILL!

...oh well, everybody has one of those days I suppose. :roll:
bulldog

turbo fto

Post by bulldog »

thanks for setting up the new thread for supercharging. I probably should have done that in the first place.

Getting back on topic- when fitting a turbo to the fto, is it also necessary to upgrade a number of other parts as well? Are the standard fto brakes, gearbox (manual or tiptronic) etc. good enough to handle the turbo or will I be constantly upgrading bits and pieces as they fall apart?

Just trying to figure out my options while I begin saving up...
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

brakes are usually the number one priority after a major performance upgrade to the engine. if you wanna go fast, you must also be able to stop just as well, coz otherwise your car will be a dangerous projectile at high-speeds that cannot slow down effetively in the event of an emergency...

as for gearbox, it depends how much extra power is being fed through it. it also depends on how much brutality you give to your gearbox (ie: flatshifting at redline) because even at stock power, you can easily screw-up your transmission if you're not careful!

...add turbo mumbo into the equation and it's all a matter of time until something cries foul and spit the dummy... (esp if it's a tiptronic as they are not as strong) Angela (aka EXC) has since seen the light and have strengthened the internals of her tiptronic to handle the extra power, but i'm sure dannyboyau is already preparing a contingency plan for this impending disaster on his stock gearbox LOL! :wink:

in a nutshell, if you plan to perform a turbo conversion, start small by running small amounts of boost if you are running standard engine internals and driveline hardware. i think any more than 300hp at the wheels will start giving you reliability problems over time...