My Second Dyno Result Plus My New CAI Setup :)

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

aza013
NSW Coordinator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by aza013 »

Well as my car is at this time between pulse and envy imports dynos there was like .4kws apart in the readings.
The power loss I have at this time is due to needing a retune.
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

looks like he may of just been talking sh*t...
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

aza013 wrote:The way that the cai is set up won't suck hot air in as the opening is so close to the factory feed point sh*t it's almost stuck down the factory holl lol.
Having the twin feed will work well as any hot air around that area would be pushed away.
So it should not loss any kws at all.
Yep i agree with u Aza, Thanks for the info :D
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

Nice work mate, what exhaust mods have you got for that power?
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

FTO_GPvR wrote:
Pomwa wrote:Same filter im running and i've had no complaints yet :D

Although you dont seem to have the front of the intake rigged up to take in air outside of the engine bay? This is mine below with what im talking about circled in red:

Without that set up once you're off the dyno with the bonnet closed you'll just be sucking in (hot) air from the engine bay, and i'm tipping you'll see those extra KWs disappear pretty quick...
Yep i do have it on but its not connected straight up to the K&N Apollo, its connected up another way because i got the UAS Air Intake on and thats a big Intake and with the reducers there it pushed the K&N Apollo so i had no room to connect that part up.

But instead of having one air feed like you said i have 2 air feeds now. I kept the orginial air feed that was already on my FTO and i also put in the K&N Apollo air feed that came with it on to my FTO as well. The K&N air feed is also facing the K&N Air filter but you cant see it in the picture. Both the Air feeds is directly facing the K&N Air filter, so its sucking in the cold air with the bonnet closed.

Pulse Racing said that this is the best way to have it because its sucking the cold air in from 2 places and the reason why its not gonna be sucking in hot air is because its right in the corner and thats where the 2 air feeds are, so they would be blocking the hot air out. And i wont be losing any KWs. You have to see it in person so you could understand it probably because i dont no what i just said then made sense or not lol.

With you, you got a good setup. Your sucking in the cold air from your air feed but when the air gets into your intake and since your intake has steel piping, the steel piping is going to get hot from the engine heat, which is going to be making the cold air hot again and by the time is goes into the throttle body, your just gonna be sucking in the hot air. With the UAS Air Intake this is not gonna happen because of the really thick rubber it has, its gonna be blocking out the hot air and only sucking in the cold air. Im not saying this to annoy you or piss you off or what so ever, Im just saying this because this is what i have read on this forum and thats what some other people have said that will happen. So hopefully no harm done mate :D
Your air will still pass through your stove hot plenum and runners..
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

RallyMad wrote:Nice work mate, what exhaust mods have you got for that power?
Thanks mate :D
None lol i have done no exhaust mods yet. I still have the stock exhaust on my FTO. The CAI Setup is my first performance mod.
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

8) Awesome then, I think I really need to stick mine on a dyno before I stick my CAI on then.....cause I think I'm down on power :cry:
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

FTO_GPvR wrote:
None lol i have done no exhaust mods yet. I still have the stock exhaust on my FTO. The CAI Setup is my first performance mod.
disobeying the law by doing performance mods on your red p's aye?

shame shame shame :cheeky:
nicholas
Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Just a guess, but further spaced out means more turns of the roller per turn of the car wheel (because you've got a larger proportion of the radius of th wheel between the rollers), meaning a higher revolution speed of the roller and thus higher power reading?

I guess it depends how much resistance the rollers have... not familiar with how dynos work exactly..
Resident Asshole.
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

RallyMad wrote:8) Awesome then, I think I really need to stick mine on a dyno before I stick my CAI on then.....cause I think I'm down on power :cry:
Yeah that would be good because then you would get to see how much KWs your FTO has when its stock, then after u install your CAI u can see how much KWs u gained from it :D
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Tippin wrote:
FTO_GPvR wrote:
disobeying the law by doing performance mods on your red p's aye?

shame shame shame :cheeky:
HAHA :D Im not disobeying the law mate, according to the RTA website were aloud to have performance mods done to our vehicles as long as it doesnt extend over 15% of the stock engines power. So say your FTO has 100KW stock, your aloud to have an extra 15KW bcoz thats not going past the extra 15% of the stock engines power.

And plus by having a CAI Setup, its helping my FTO breath much better :twisted:

Mate i wouldnt be talking lol :tongue: You also have performance mods done to your FTO on your P's to. You have a CAI and Exhaust System haha. So if your saying im disobeying the law then that means your also disobeying the law to mate :lol:

Shame Shame Shame :cheeky:
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Performance modifications on your Ps are perfectly legal, as long as they are not extensive enough to require engineering or a mod plate.

Not allowed to modify a vehicle on your Ps to have greater then 15% performance then standard? Link me to an article on the RTA/QT website which states that as one of the P plate restrictions.
Tippin
Oldtimer

Post by Tippin »

well ive never heard of the 15% condition

nsw rta site simply states your not allowed to drive any vehicle with modifications which increase engine performance

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/get ... 07_p1.html
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Tippin wrote:well ive never heard of the 15% condition

nsw rta site simply states your not allowed to drive any vehicle with modifications which increase engine performance

It further clarifies in a separate article that only modifications requiring an engineers certificate (ie. engine conversion) are prohibited.
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

pete_gpx wrote:Performance modifications on your Ps are perfectly legal, as long as they are not extensive enough to require engineering or a mod plate.

Not allowed to modify a vehicle on your Ps to have greater then 15% performance then standard? Link me to an article on the RTA/QT website which states that as one of the P plate restrictions.
Yep thats true to, ive read that to and thats on the RTA website where i saw the 15% performance rule.

This is the link that i saw it from scroll down to page 2 and where it says examples of minor modifications are

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... v_2007.pdf

EDIT: I just had another look at the site and i read it wrong, my bad. It says u cant increase your engines capacity by more then 15% without the need of a engineers certificate.
Last edited by FTO_GPvR on Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FTO_GPvR
Mechanic

Post by FTO_GPvR »

Tippin wrote:well ive never heard of the 15% condition

On your link it says we cant drive any vehicles with modifications that increase engine performance

But on this link its say prohibited vehicles are those with engine performance modifications that require an engineers' certificate. So we could have mods done to our cars as long as we dont need a engineers certificate for it.

Heres the link:
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/get ... tml?llid=4
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

You would barely feel 10kw's in the rear world. I don't understand how an FTO loses 30% of its power through its FWD drive train. I'm saying this as I read a magazine on an EF Falcon getting 155kw stock on a dyno.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

You would barely feel 10kw's in the rear world. I don't understand how an FTO loses 30% of its power through its FWD drive train. I'm saying this as I read a magazine on an EF Falcon getting 155kw stock on a dyno.
Fto_Jason
Grease Monkey

Post by Fto_Jason »

Whered you order it from? i was thinking of getting a new Cai system done on the car... :) I know im in qld but still.. Did you install it all yourself or get someone else to do it for you?
Gholdwayne
Oldtimer

Post by Gholdwayne »

FTO_GPvR wrote:
pete_gpx wrote:Performance modifications on your Ps are perfectly legal, as long as they are not extensive enough to require engineering or a mod plate.

Yep thats true to, ive read that to and thats on the RTA website where i saw the 15% performance rule.

This is the link that i saw it from scroll down to page 2 and where it says examples of minor modifications are

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/ ... v_2007.pdf

EDIT: I just had another look at the site and i read it wrong, my bad. It says you cant increase your engines capacity by more then 15% without the need of a engineers certificate.
Correct me if i read that wrong but doesnt the guideline on that part mean the capacity/engine displacement ? and not the actual power(kw) ?

i think its different as putting a pod in doesnt necessarily 'increase' kw's (essentially it does) but its more like taking away intake restrictions to free up more kw's.
97 GPX Icelle Blue

I cant stop driving her!
...and when im not, im looking at her!
... ...and when im not, im freakin thinking about her!

FTO[For The Orgasm]
like For The Win!, but more hardcore...