I8A4RE Turbo thread: Questions and Comments

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

mr-charisma
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by mr-charisma »

Lol, good buy on the Farmyard animal Horn!!:P :lol: hehehe
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

8O Should i even dignify that remark with an answer......... No, stop spamming my thread :lol:

It probably one the most expensive BOV on the market you noob :P
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

Are you planning on 'blueprinting' & doing up a step by step guide for anyone else who might be planning the same thing?
By 'blueprinting' I mean sketching up some diagrams of piping etc with all the mesurements / angles / bends etc for someone to put everything together ..

If you like I could no doubt do something up in CAD ..

I'd be keen to come help out at some point when you start work on it .. could maybe even make a DIY day of it if others are interested .. what do you think?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Yeah was thinking about blueprinting as i have cad but after looking at it closely i dont think ill be bothered. What i am planning on doing is getting it all assembled, then stripping it back down again and making a duplicate copy of the system which then can be reproduced easily. You must remember though there will need to be slight modifications made when fitting to manuals, as manuals have a little less room in the back but a little more in the front.

As for a DIY day, i would but its going to be a bit fiddly ill be doing a little bit here and a little bit there. But as i say once its done ill have no problem showing people how to do it for themselves etc
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

I8A4RE wrote:You must remember though there will need to be slight modifications made when fitting to manuals, as manuals have a little less room in the back but a little more in the front.
Aye & diff for ABS / & prob LSD i know.. ;)
As for a DIY day, i would but its going to be a bit fiddly ill be doing a little bit here and a little bit there. But as i say once its done ill have no problem showing people how to do it for themselves etc
Gotcha .. maybe when you're stripping it back down or putting it together again.. before its tuned & tested.

I'm sure if you did get the duplicate made up you could charge people a small amount to borrow it so they could take it in to a workshop & just tell em "I want this made up"
Would save them $$ in time & hassle .. & you could get back a little of what you spent..
eThix
Veteran Mechanic

Post by eThix »

lol should make some side dosh and make FTO turbo kits :P
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

Here ya go boys and girls...
Taken me around 3 months and about 100 phone calls to get this list...

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... 008#159008

And as far as turbo kits go, they are very minor cost...

i paid $2.2k for:
-Turbo
-Piping
-Intercooler
-Waste gate
-BOV
-Heat shielding
-400cc injectors

Another $2k for mechanic to fit it as he had a million dramas
-Labour
- Braided oil and fuel lines
-Full Service

Then $250 for RR FPR
$250 For boost guage
$2k for Microtec LT-10x ECU, wiring and tuning
$550 for fuel pump
$850 for heavy duty clutch
$120 Turbo Timer
$250 Battery Relocation
$1400 Exhaust

iit adds up pretty quick. and out of $10k only $2k was the turbo kit... And all the piping was PREMADE! and second hand... wouldve been double or triple that if i went brand new...

then that died after a month and i went postal on the other engine...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

All those figures for parts include labour costs as well Sam?

is a new fuel pump absolutely neccessary?
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Im not going to go through your list and rip it too shreds but sorry bro your prices are ridiculas, $250 for battery replacement.... come on, not even close to what it should cost. $550 for a fuel pump, mate you got ripped.

Plus as i have said before a lot of the work can be performed by someone with little experience.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

The 2.2k for the kit is an okay price, but I'd rather do what Simon is doing & pick up all the parts gradually when they come up cheap, & get good quality / brandname stuff..
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

$550 was for a walbro pump... installed... After the Bosch 044 wouldnt fit

$250 was for new battery AND relocation... (including wiring kit, Terminals, high amp fuses, battery box and ventalation)

I was just letting you know why mine blew out to $10k instead of $5k... Not saying thats what it COULD cost... Mine was pretty much worst case scenario.

Best case:
You dont need new fuel pump (mine died during tuning), Battery is already in the boot, You dont have a pole smoker mechanic who takes too long to do everything and doesnt know what he's doing, despite telling you he does. You already have a heavy clutch. You get a cheapo ECU like a emanage, cheapo boost guage for $50, no turbo timer, cheapo FPR, etc etc...

With a lot of homemade labour, and some good luck, simons should come in well under $6k or so.. admittedly, if he ever wants more power, he'll be really pushing it, but for a easy 150kw and some buckets of torque, it should be plenty... not to mention that FMIC look and all the funky noises that come with a turbo..

Im glad i went overkill with things like my ecu, fuel system, etc, as im now not doubling up anywhere...

and I was reffering to eThix's comment about the kit... turbo kit is only a third the equation with turboing an N/a... just putting it a little bit into perspective.. not in any reference to simons project...

that said, buying a kit will still be cheaper than making your own... by a llong way.. but still wont make it either cheap or easy...

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Just in case anyone is interested, im getting over a 100kms EXTRA on a tank of gas with the emanage installed, thats same type of driving for both runs eg mostly highway

Also this project has taken a back seat till i get a JOB, i have the money there but i cant spend it till i get a job as i dont know how long it will take
Last edited by I8A4RE on Thu May 22, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

You live on the coast don't you?? Why don't you slap on a mini skirt and hit the streets like what the rest of the people do down there for money?? :lol: hehehhe
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

yano28 wrote:You live on the coast don't you?? Why don't you slap on a mini skirt and hit the streets like what the rest of the people do down there for money?? :lol: hehehhe
:lol: yeah thats what im doing now, but just want something with a little less customer interaction
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

LOL!! Could always move into the phone sex insdustry.... hehehe. No physical interaction...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

But he's a kiwi. A kiwi accent can curdle milk :lol: hey bro :lol:
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

lol... We've got a kiwi receptionist at work... Always give her sh*t...

Good luck with the job hunting simon... Cant wait to see your green machine sneezing on cruises...

How come only 100km per tank!!! thats insane!!!

I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Sorry ill edit that, i mean 100kms EXTRA, Was 530km now 645km :D
yano
Mechanic

Post by yano »

Bennoz wrote:But he's a kiwi. A kiwi accent can curdle milk :lol: hey bro :lol:
HAHAHHAHAH!! Milk, LOL!!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Stop spamming my thread BITCHES, thats my job :lol: