Jono's TURBO Research, Questions and possible Application!

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

khunjeng
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by khunjeng »

kid_dynamite wrote:It's not so much being able to tune a piggyback KJ, I reckon one problem is that not all tuners will have access to the Support Tool software needed to tune the emanage. I don't reckon it's half as widely used as something like the Apexi S-AFC (which doesn't have the features of the emanage, but it can be tuned off the unit which is one reason they are so popular).

Jono you'll just have to do the call around and if they can tune an emanage.. I do know that CRD have it though. If you have any problems finding a tuner let me know and I'll get you some more names.
Its piss easy and as long as you already know how to tune and have tuned PFCs etc then there is no excuse. The emanage software is pretty simple including doing the ignition.

The software is cheap (I paid $120) and considering its their job then i would not be going to a tuner that doesn't know how to do it.

I'm not going to debate it as its fact. I have seen plenety of ppl in Vic and NSW tune various cars well over 250kw with emanage setup and the tuning is not hard - if they think it is they are too lazy to train themselves peroid.

CRD will know how cos they are a good tune house and keep up with the times.
FtoSam
Oldtimer

Post by FtoSam »

From the tuners in qld that i called (including Matty Spry) Not many people wanted to touch the E-Manage. They said if i really wanted to they'd tune it for me but said the price difference with the Microtec was worth every cent.
And as everyone says, the tune is the most important part.
However E-Manage has been done before. But so has microtec..
But back to the point...
a lot of tuners CAN tune them but dont feel confident doing so. Esp. on a unique car with so many variables...

If you need good deal on photography, let me know.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

FtoSam wrote:From the tuners in qld that i called (including Matty Spry) Not many people wanted to touch the E-Manage. They said if i really wanted to they'd tune it for me but said the price difference with the Microtec was worth every cent.
And as everyone says, the tune is the most important part.
However E-Manage has been done before. But so has microtec..
But back to the point...
a lot of tuners CAN tune them but dont feel confident doing so. Esp. on a unique car with so many variables...
point is they are lazy.

If you know how to tune a car its easy with all of them.

But if the cant do it, go with what they know.

If I can do basic tunes, they should and I have used both.
MarkFTO
Apprentice

Post by MarkFTO »

Just to add a little information. I ran my turbo FTO on an emanage system for 2 1/2 years with no problems. The other turbo i built was also running an emanage though this time on a GR engine and again no problems. I'm currently helping out on another conversion this time running a GR converted to a MAP sensor so we will see how the emanage works there.

I found the price and ease of use great reasons to go for the emanage. With a wideband lambda, EGT gauge and dett cans i have mapped both myself and found it easier than adjusting the PFC on my other FTO (though in fairness i only have the hand controller).

Even when turbo'd we will still be playing with a fairly conservatively tune and for this type of application the emange seems more than capable.
FTEVO, FTO GPX-Turbo, FTO GR-Turbo
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

MarkFTO wrote:Just to add a little information. I ran my turbo FTO on an emanage system for 2 1/2 years with no problems. The other turbo i built was also running an emanage though this time on a GR engine and again no problems. I'm currently helping out on another conversion this time running a GR converted to a MAP sensor so we will see how the emanage works there.

I found the price and ease of use great reasons to go for the emanage. With a wideband lambda, EGT gauge and dett cans i have mapped both myself and found it easier than adjusting the PFC on my other FTO (though in fairness i only have the hand controller).

Even when turbo'd we will still be playing with a fairly conservatively tune and for this type of application the emange seems more than capable.
good info mate. As u know its easy to tune. I'm not sure what your talking about "u only had the Hand controller" if u only had that what were u doing lol it must have been connected to something. U can tune PFC through the HC your the USB as with the emanage.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

:D do you think you could shoot a base map my way for a turbo gpx fto running emanage... lols any tips on DIY tuning?
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

jonowong wrote::D do you think you could shoot a base map my way for a turbo gpx fto running emanage... lols any tips on DIY tuning?
my advice for u is go find some1 good.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

khunjeng wrote:
jonowong wrote::D do you think you could shoot a base map my way for a turbo gpx fto running emanage... lols any tips on DIY tuning?
how come? you guys are making it sound so easy... aim for 12.5 afr... retard iginition timing by a few degrees...?
MarkFTO
Apprentice

Post by MarkFTO »

khunjeng wrote: good info mate. As u know its easy to tune. I'm not sure what your talking about "u only had the Hand controller" if u only had that what were u doing lol it must have been connected to something. U can tune PFC through the HC your the USB as with the emanage.
sorry should have been clearer, ive only mapped PowerFC using hand controller which is a pain, but when the cars back on the road ill get a datalogit for it which should make things easier.
jonowong wrote: do you think you could shoot a base map my way for a turbo gpx fto running emanage... lols any tips on DIY tuning?
I wouldnt like to as there are too many variables car to car and you cant compare environments, sady its a hell of a lot hotter over in Aus than in Scotland.
khunjeng
Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

cool Mark,. I have done a bit of road tuning with the PFC HC to adjust some cells here and there, wouldnt like to do the whole tune! Dagalogit for the win mate!
MarkFTO
Apprentice

Post by MarkFTO »

jonowong wrote:
khunjeng wrote:
how come? you guys are making it sound so easy... aim for 12.5 afr... retard iginition timing by a few degrees...?
I wouldnt say its as simple as that, i run richer with more ignition timing pulled as i come on boost then bring the timing and fuel up when on boost as its easier to supress dett than try to stop it once you have it. I also tune for between to 11.7-12 but thats just me playing safe.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i just bought a emanage with ignition and injector harness and boost sensor and tuning software and laptop cable off ebay for $465...

also took the greddy turbo timer out of my s13...