Bennoz 6A13 Conversion

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTEvolution
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by FTEvolution »

RichardB wrote:Ah, 6A13 and a tip box, how is it handling the power?
I see youve stayed twin turbo rather than single...you will want more power and go single next (trust me I didi!)
The problem with the tip isn't the box, it's the Dif, mine has been modified (don't know specs, but I know it was the dif head). 2 years now and absolutely fine. Few runs at the drag strip, but I know how to baby the box so it hasn't been a problem.

The single turbo is beckoning me now, but I can wait, seriously, I still think it has plenty of power for me as nothing boy racer'ish can keep up with it.
[img]http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z285/ftevolution/ftevolution-1.jpg[/img]

Smooth and sleepy

All of lifes problems can be cured with a 6A13TT
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Did a little bit of work yesterday.

Hooked all power steering lines
Hooked up gearbox linkages
Hooked up clutch line - Note, this needs to me modified to fit. You can just bend it gently to avoid that front wastegate.
Hooked up air con lines - Note, the VR4 compressor unit will not work with the FTO lines, the mounting faces for the lines is 90 degrees out, you need to use the FTO compressor (it bolts straight on)
The turbo piping atop the motors is almost finished
The lower piping from the dump pipes to my exhaust is underway. We are going to use the lower section of the RPW extractor set - cut it & fabricate connections to the dump pipes.
Intercooler is in.

aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

so not to long to go now Ben :D
coming along well.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

looking good, hopefully the twin turbo setup wont be too much of a burden. Any idea of how long it'll take to finish?
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey man what are the dimensions for that massive intercooler buddy
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

Hey ben quick question bud are you using the standard downpipes from the turbos to the y pipe man
tintin
Grease Monkey

Post by tintin »

thats looking sweeeeet 8) good work :thumleft:
coilovers!! gaurenteed to make boobs bounce :)
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey ben I might have found a slimline thermo fan that we may be able to use. I was having a look at my mates galant and they have a very slim line fan on their radiator which has a mitsibushi part number mr250747
RichardB
Grease Monkey

Post by RichardB »

why not just get 2 spal push type fan that will fit between the intercooler and radiator? Thats what I did.
The World's fastest FTO - sub 9's checkout www.mitsubishi-fto.net to see the latest time.

Sponsored by : NR Autosport, RB Performance, PPG Gearboxes, IPG Parts, S1 Chiropractic
gr_fto_reborn
Apprentice

Post by gr_fto_reborn »

where from rich???
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey rich do you still run aircon. If I were to keep the aircon then what do I do slimline correct
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

nvr2low wrote:hey man what are the dimensions for that massive intercooler buddy

Hey ben quick question bud are you using the standard downpipes from the turbos to the why pipe man

hey ben I might have found a slimline thermo fan that we may be able to use. I was having a look at my mates galant and they have a very slim line fan on their radiator which has a mitsibushi part number mr250747

hey ben can you give me a update of how far the manifolds are off man. Just would like 2 now man.
Dunno mate, I'll have to measure it for you.

Yep, standard down pipes. The collector pipe we are using is from my RPW setp. We're cutting the heads of it & fabricating new sections that will bolt up to the down pipes & weld onto the collector pipe.

Apparently they have already ordered my fans. They are a real slim pull type that will sit inbetween the radiator & the air con condensor. Will grab the part number off them when they arrive.

Good question, dont know. I didn't think they were taking any time off, but the workshop has been closed this week. I'll try get down there next week. I gotta get myself another car in the mean time too... so I can get down to the shop!
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

make sure you guys keep a total of how much it costs, would be interesting to know the difference between now and what it used to cost
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

well my budget it out the door because I am nt doing it myself haha.
Hey ben did the manifold defently leave today the mechanic said it is ok if it here 2morow but at the latest 2morow arvo.
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

So ben, hows the conversion going? whats left to be done?
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Only gotta finish off the top plumbing to the intercooler & back, then wiring & thats it. We're thinking it'll be about 2 more weeks.

Am heading down today to have a look at her, will get some pics. Apparently the pipework underneath the car is a work of art (from turbo dumps, to collector pipe, to cat section.)
After all, it was an RPW collector pipe they cut up & used 8)
nvr2low
Oldtimer

Post by nvr2low »

hey ben I got the manifold. It is sexy as thanks for all the help man I will take some pics when mine if compeleted.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

No worries :thumright:

Now I can clean the 4 page manifold discussion outta my thread :lol:
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

8O can't wait to see this finished ... I've got a million questions.. but mostly I'm just interested in how much $$$ this is costing & what work is involved..

Any chance you could do a How-To write-up at the end so we can skip all the useless gibberish posts? :P
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Everyone wants a write up, but thats not gonna happen unfortunately. There's been so many thing done to make this work that I haven't been able to do (like fabricating manifolds, other welding jobs & an insidious amount of wiring.)

Sure I can list them with prices thou. I have reciepts for everything.