Bodykits, Interior modifications, Rice Products, anything that is for looks

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EURO
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Chequer plate / punch hole floor mats

Post by EURO »

Hey guys,

Ive seen a lot of auto salon cars with the "real" chequer plate floor mats, a few years ago there was a guy also selling punch hole floor mats customised from his FTO - they looked great.

Wondering if anyone has had these made in melbourne and where abouts / cost. I remember looking a few years ago at steel palces and they didnt want a bar of it - said it was a pain in the a**

I really dont want the autobahn alternative of the fake chequer, so if anyone knows a place that can make them up could you let me know?

danke'
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I guess you really just have to cut & measure yourself, as lots of people do.

My friend had done it to his golf, but the bloody thing is so slippery, especially at rainy days, it looks good, but i wouldn't really do it.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

i was planning on cut / measure myself but you need the right tools. Last time I did it for a previous car i nearly burnt out the bloody jig saw.

The other problem it is ahrd to get a really good finish on the edges etc - I dont want to rip up my carpet.

Ive had tehm before and yes they slip a little in the wet, but so do my pedals lol, so im kinda used to it.

The guy who had the punch hole mats said they were a pain in the butt to make due to the bending etc and getting them the perfect sit on the carpet.
The last thing i want is budget ones that are just cut in a square with rough edges and dont sit properly on the incline..

i guess thats why i was looking for a workshop etc that might do them and have the time to do them properly (vs me who would take months to get them fnished)
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hey go & ask Lee & see if he can get someone to laser cut one for you, provide that you give him a sample (e.g. FTO floor mat)
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

@ sl motorsport?
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

yeah mate
Ther
Grease Monkey

Post by Ther »

I used to work with a lot of checker plate and i was thinking about putting some in the car but......
Like FTO338 said it is extremely slippery in the car and also there is the weight issue.
Its a pain in the ass to bend cause of the bumps on them..they kinda burst like bubles after bending....and to get the smooth edges is another pain....
Laser cutting is the better option so you should find a sheetmetal workshop that has a laser/plasma cutter and they could do it but remember, most of those machines work of a CAD design so it might get a bit pricey...
jap80x
Apprentice

Post by jap80x »

just buy the plastic ones from super cheap auto, rampage, peps, woffies
they look the same, juts faek copies.
EURO
Oldtimer

Post by EURO »

jap80x wrote:just buy the plastic ones from super cheap auto, rampage, peps, woffies
they look the same, juts faek copies.
dude... they look awful! nearly as bad as those fake intercoolers lol