General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

EyezOnMei
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Slanted Rear Wheels

Post by EyezOnMei »

Hi guys,
Just wondering if anyone knows why my rear wheels look like this (if you look at the car at ground level from the back)
/ \
instead of | | like my front wheels.
They're not THAT angled, but I notice they're not straight like my front wheels are. They're on a slight angle and seem to be leaning inwards towards the middle of the car. These are only for my rear wheels and the angle is very slight. I had a full alignment/balance a couple of months ago, and I noticed this only a week or so after that.
Is it really bad? How can I fix it? Here's another diagram to try and show what I mean:
Front wheels | |
Rear wheels / \ but obviously not so extreme...
Any help appreciated!!!
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

You mean you have a different camber on your rears.
This is a good thing. Being a front wheel drive the FTO suffers from understeer, so you need a slight negative camber on the front and heaps of pos camber on the back to slightly loose the rear to overcome the understeer. I just spent a lot on the complete suspension trying to get that settup.
Jeff
elmo
Grease Monkey

suspension

Post by elmo »

Imagine your wheel is fixed to the car (no springs), so as the body rolls (or squats as the case maybe) the inside wheel gets flatter on the road...
The outer wheel is also at an "aggressive" angle so if you begin to slide out of the corner it only flattens the wheel onto the road more and gives more grip.
MADFTO
Mechanic

Post by MADFTO »

That's normal EyezOnMei.

What the technical term for that is camber if you didn't pick that up from Jeff's Post.

I'll probably end up re-hashing what the other two have said, but negative camber (where the outside of the wheel is relativity higher than the inside of the tyre) is good for grip, but gives you a smaller contact patch in a straight line.

Imagine your car is being pushed from the side, your tyres have a slight tendancy to roll over a little due to the lateral forces. now angling the tyre a little towards negative means that when you turn a corner, the lateral forces will make the tyre roll over a little so you have a larger contact patch. This means you'll have more grip around the corner in essence.

FTO have standard on the rear tires a negative bias of 1 degree. Front wheels are neutral due to the fact that you want as much tyre on the ground when in a straight line on the drive wheels =)

So yeah, nothing to worry about =) unless it looks like that half the tyre isn't touching the ground =)
EyezOnMei
Apprentice

Post by EyezOnMei »

Oh thank goodness! Because I thought "oh crap", what am I doing to my car.
You know, I really should notice these little things *before* I buy the car. :roll:
Thanks so much guys, means I can rest so much easier now!
:P
Rusty12
Grease Monkey

Post by Rusty12 »

The only bad thing with that though is that your tyres need rotating more because they wear more on one side.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I noticed the same thing about my rear wheels the other day. Was going to do a wheel alignment to make sure.

By the way, I read in one article that front wheel drive cars wear out their front tyres as much as 3 times faster than the rears 8O
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

what madfto said was spot on. i have actually put some negative camber on my fronts as well for better cornering.

in terms of the tyre wear, if you corner hard often like me, and you leave your camber on neutral, you will actually wear out the outside of the tyre quicker, so it makes sense to put some negative camber to prolong your tyre life in this case.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

fwds wear out 3 times as much as rear wheels !! thats a lot ! though ill confirm that seeing as i need new tyres every 2 months!
elmo
Grease Monkey

tyres

Post by elmo »

hmmm, wore my first set of rears out twice as fast as the fronts.... :twisted:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

hahah maybewhen you drive you should put the handbrake down !
elmo
Grease Monkey

driving

Post by elmo »

Rarely use the handbrake for turning....
but the back wheels have trouble keeping up around corners sometimes :twisted:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

by the way, negative camber can look very cool on your car, heheheh... ;)