some reasons why I prefer NZ

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Technikhaus
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

some reasons why I prefer NZ

Post by Technikhaus »

So I went on a big cruise last night, well big for Dunedin. It was organised with the council and police, just to cover our asses.
Around 70-80 cars turned up in total, and we just drove around the peninsula, quite slowly actually, as the roads are VERY easy to go off of.
portobelloroad.PNG

We drove around portobello road (Above) then up around the top, which is hardly one lane, let alone should be a two lane road:
highcliffroad.PNG
Once we got to the end of that road, we were unsurprisingly met with a road block, and a bunch of police cars.
They did a breath test, license check, WOF & rego check and then let us that passed, on our way. No defect checking, no height checking, just a basic breath and license.
I can guarantee you that 90% of the cars there could have been pink stickered and towed away.

That is what I like about here, no unrequired harassment by the police, and it's the same every day, the only time I have ever been pulled over was for speeding, and he just gave be a ticket, checked my warrant and WOF, and let me on my way.

Ok so yes, about 30-40% of people were caught unlicensed, or drink driving, but apart from that we were all good.

The whole cruise, no one did any stupid things, no dangerous overtakes, and only the one or two little drifts around the safe corners :p
Such as around this corner, some nice smoke was made by the GTR ahead of us:
drift.PNG
So yeah, I feel sorry for you guys sometimes, the crap you can get from the police. Yeah they were a bit of a hassle, the cruise kind of withered down after that, but we still all enjoyed ourselves.
It was also nice to see that there was still a car scene here in Dunedin, as most people park these cars away during the week, no thanks to our rediculous petrol prices :roll:

So yeah that's my little 10c :)

edit: one quick video I found of us all leaving the meeting point, Nick's then my FTO can be seen at 2:10

Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '89 Legacy RS Rally car
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
silverGPX
9.5"

Re: some reasons why I prefer NZ

Post by silverGPX »

Wow those roads look amazing for a good speed run
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

They would be if they weren't so unforgiving, many a car has been lost there, and lives...
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
silverGPX
9.5"

Post by silverGPX »

No guardrails? What about more inland roads?
Technikhaus
Oldtimer

Post by Technikhaus »

No guard rails, and the road goes right up to the drop down.
The more inland roads are pretty good on the flat roads, but a lot of the hill roads don't have guardrails, but that's half the fun.
You've really got to know your limits. :)
Man '96 FTO GPX
Man '90 MR2 GT
Auto '08 Fairmont Ghia
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

Technikhaus wrote:No guard rails, and the road goes right up to the drop down.
The more inland roads are pretty good on the flat roads, but a lot of the hill roads don't have guardrails, but that's half the fun.
Sounds like a lot of the hills around Adelaide, actually. I remember the first time I drove a particular road during the day, and it was slightly unnerving to see the massive diagonal drop from like a meter past where the road ended. :lol: You don't notice these things at night!
POWERED BY #TIMKNOTTMOTORSPORT: 2013-2016
Image Image Image Image
ObsidianRadio
Oldtimer

Post by ObsidianRadio »

bjk wrote:
Sounds like a lot of the hills around Adelaide, actually. I remember the first time I drove a particular road during the day, and it was slightly unnerving to see the massive diagonal drop from like a meter past where the road ended. :lol: You don't notice these things at night!
Amen, brother. The Adelaide Hills can be a treacherous place.
Jack

Livin' the Slow Life. 1997 GP Version-R | 1995 GS/GR Version-SparkleFairy
http://www.facebook.com/SlowLifeAU
SchumieFan
Oldtimer

Post by SchumieFan »

Yeah... i fish tailed my old fto round the summit road near diamond Harbour once, had to choose between the cliff on the left and the ditch on the right... nose dived into the ditch... looked down the cliff and there was a car about 100 meters down it that had rolled a dozen times and stopped against a tree...

<3 NZ :lol:
vipfto
Forum Moderator

Post by vipfto »

bjk wrote:

PFFT Adelaide hills are just average, The roads in NZ must say were fantastic for the driver
FTO GR-TURBO
172KW ATW @ 11PSI
bjk
Totes

Post by bjk »

vipfto wrote:
bjk wrote:

PFFT Adelaide hills are just average, The roads in NZ must say were fantastic for the driver
Yeah, it's a little disappointing that more of them aren't better surfaced...