Sump Clearance?

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Andym
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Sump Clearance?

Post by Andym »

i was looking under my car today to get an idea of how much clearance i had from the ground and discovered the lowest point of my car is the sump :?

the only measuring tool i had on me is my handy iphone which i couldn't stand up under the sump and it is 118mm.

considering it looks like the sumps already taken quite a beating should i be wary about lowering the car further / is there anyway i can lift the sump/engine without HUGE amounts of effort??
phunkydude
Veteran Mechanic

Re: Sump Clearance?

Post by phunkydude »

matt/silvergpx bottom out and punctured his sump before..' :cheeky:
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Haha yea that was fun.
My sump too is the low point, coming in (last time i checked) at around the 103mm mark - still hasnt got a scrape on it yet, although i am cautios when im driving on a sh*tty road or over humps etc.
Its not really an issue as it is almost in line with the wheel base, so unless youve got sh*tty suspension off a big round off and bottom out that way or drive into a 108mm+ kerb it wont catch on anything. Its the lip of the bumper that will go long before your sump.
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

How odd.
I swear the lowest on ours is the cross member, but honestly haven't paid real attention to it.
I know what I'll be checking tomorrow.

As for lifting the engine...... Not really, I do believe there is a thread.

Unlike a rwd car, the side mounts (passenger, driver mounts) have no real easy way of allowing lift, only drop.

The lowers can allow lift, but this is counter-acted by the side mounts...
Last edited by Astron_Boy on Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taz
Oldtimer

Post by Taz »

Astron_Boy wrote:How odd.
I swear the lowest on ours is the cross member, but honestly haven't paid real attention to it.
the bottom of the sump and the crossmember are virtually the same height, if not the sump a few mm lower
Bennoz wrote: Cum gunt it!
Astron_Boy
Trolling Gen Y

Post by Astron_Boy »

Taz wrote:
the bottom of the sump and the crossmember are virtually the same height, if not the sump a few mm lower
Probably what I end up fixing my site on then, never noticed the sump was fractionally lower.
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

Astron_Boy wrote:
Taz wrote:
Probably what I end up fixing my site on then, never noticed the sump was fractionally lower.
Difference between an FTO with bad engine mounts and having good ones is about 10mm.
ZFL45H1
Oldtimer

Post by ZFL45H1 »

I destroyed mine one day ripped out the sump plug and this happened around the time i was about to do my engine rebuild I got one of dads mates to weld a 3mm stainless plate to protect it it already as marks on it lol don't know how low it is but id dare say ATM but the cops would like to know me thinks :lol:
gotta get there one day :)