fuel leaking ????

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO2sxy
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

fuel leaking ????

Post by FTO2sxy »

howz it goin everyone, i just wanted to know of anyone else is havin the sam problem. i fill up my fto with petrol it fills up to say the hglaf way line i cruise around and its just above the quarter line, i park it for the night and when i start it in the morning its jsut below the quarter line. it keeps happenin everytime i park my car for a couple of hours.

but ther is no sign of a fuel leak
is it a faulty guage or that how a fto gpx 95 model is???
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

about the only logical explanation i can give is the loss of pressure from the fuel pump... you will notice sometimes when you open the fuel cap after hard driving you can hear a hissing noise (goes like "pshhhhh") coming out of the filler as you unscrew the cap. The pressure inside the tank may be playing with your fuel level sensor...

of course, i'm only theorising here! :?

in fact i get that too in my other cars, so i guess it's normal, but if it goes beyond 1/4 tank difference overnight then i'd definitely get that checked out by a mechanic!
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

dunno if it applies here but temperature plays a part too

eg
early in the morning you may find that it reads slightly less due to condensation over night in the coldness.

if you are really budget conscious you will get more for you money if you fill up from a petrol station early hours of the morning, rather than in the middle of a hot day.
elmo
Grease Monkey

fuel

Post by elmo »

I think you lot dont pay enough attention to your gauges.

Ever notice that if you go for a reasonable drive and stop with say half a tank, when you get back in it has dropped a bit.

I think the fual gauge may be electroniccally controlled(like everything else) and only reads the fuel level at certain intervals, like when you turn the car on and off. Just an idea, don't think evaporation and condensation would make a noticeable differece on the gauge in just one night.

The again, maybe the kids next door needed some fuel for their motorbike...
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I think that the gauge moves only a little bit at the extremities but moves A LOT in the middle.

eg on a full tank the first 100Kms may not show much movement in the petrol gauge, but by about 300Kms it moves down quickly until you approach empty, where the next 100 Kms it moves slowly again.

Just my thoery - I haven't really tested it all that much (as I haven't taken into consideration my driving at various stages).

But the fuel level will change according to temperature as posted previously, but also if you park your car on a slope it can have an effect on the reading of the gauge.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

I refuel roughly every 2 weeks cos I work close to home :D and I find that the first quarter of the fuel gauge takes one week, and the remaining three quarters are gone in the second week.