Supercharging FTO

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

MattG
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Supercharging FTO

Post by MattG »

Just thought I'd start a new thread rather than get lost and a bit off topic on the turbo thread.
speaking of turbo and nos (see earlier posts) for the fto- is it an option to consider a supercharger of some kind for the fto? I haven't seen it mentioned at all... is there any reason? I am very new to all of this, and don't really have much of clue...

I ask because a friend of a friend builds superchargers. He has previously put one on a 2.0L Camry, a Lancer and a Pajero. Apparently the Camry used to suprise people, but he hasn't taken the Lancer to the quarter mile yet. I just thought it might be an option for the fto and am wondering if anyone has tried it before.

Bulldog:
Yeah Dave from RPW prefers turbos with an intercooler to a non-intercooled supercharger. I think he found that turbo's are a bit cheaper also.

I contacted CAPA about a supercharger for the FTO - they don't have any specific kit made up as there hasn't been much demand for it.

Both CAPA and RPW recommended the Vortech type of supercharger.
The Vortech V-9 recommended by capa is approx $3,359.00.

From what I understand the Vortech type of supercharger is a centrifugal type, which basically means it is a belt driven turbocharger (they almost look the same also).

There are 2 other types of superchargers such as the blower (roots) type, and the screw type. Roots and screw type generally perform well down low, but don't perform too well at high RPM.

Another advantage of the turbo is that you can get adjustable boost control, whereas a supercharger to change boost you have to change the belt/gearing.

I think RPW used to advertise a supercharger kit for the FTO, but withdrew it as they said some customers had problems as the engine could not really take it (not sure of exact reason you would have to ask RPW).

I think a supercharged FTO would be great to see as long as you could get it working properly. I don't think the celica and pajero rev quite as high as the FTO, and therefore may be a bit more suitable for a supercharger.

M@
http://www.forensicdata.com.au
The Data Recovery Experts
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

problem with the supercharger, is u get boost at low revs, and at low revs the fto is only just starting to grip to theroad, I think the turbo would be a bettoption cause itdoes lag until the turbo spools up, and by then your tyres would have better grip
elmo
Grease Monkey

superchargers

Post by elmo »

so you would rather have a system that is not as powerful than have self control and not put your foot down as hard?
elmo
Grease Monkey

supercharging

Post by elmo »

And before you say it, yes a turbo will give you more ion the topend (if you wanna run heaps of boost) but all the power in the world is useless if you cant get it to the ground. Just ask danny, wheelspin in every gear...
Good for show but shite for goin fast.

Anyway, as you guy have probably guessed I am keen on the idea of fitting one.

Bulldog, whats your mates name/business, so we can talk.

I reckon if it was mounted above the drivers side engine mount, transversly??? With the blower sitting where the aircon pipes run. Im thinking something the shape of a sprintex on its side?? Dunno how else to explain so have a look. Would need to be a fairly small unit but it should fit. cold air induction from down in the bumper and possibly a fm intercooler. pipes come out at the other side and upto the throttle bodies. Would be a simple kit to fit I reckon and really cheap to do.
The main thing would be getting the mounts right.

As for internally, Apparently the FTO has a weak bottom end, meaning you can snap rods and bend stuff. Now this came from david at RPW so it could be tainted with the turbo brush.
Cause a blowers boost is high down low the load is on the crank as you push past friction to begin moving. This is the highest load you get, going from stationary to moving, and the faster you accelerate the higher the load on the bottom end.
Because a turbo lags you wouldn't get this high load, cause ultimately you are not accelerating as fast.
David also told me that someone did it and recked a motor but wouldnt tell me who. Sounds dodgy.

To run high boost you would need to decompress the engine and use the intercooler I reckon. As for the bottom end... I would have to have a look inside but maybe stronger rods and a 6a13 crank. That would be worst case hey....and we can make almost anything fit so there are unlimeted options.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

I'm pretty sure I have seen that RPW used to have a section on supercharging on their website....then I heard the same thing about wrecked engine and weak bottom end...and now they are developing a turbo.

David also said in the MOGWA forums that in the future he may look at using a supercharger in the future - but not this year.

Look at this thread -
http://www.mogwa.org/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=281

M@
elmo
Grease Monkey

thanks matt

Post by elmo »

Yea, thanks man.
I can never get those thread things to work so now i dont bother.
As you can see I have been having the same debate with Dave at RPW and still have not seen any real evidence against supercharging or that a turbo is definately better.
Now earlier you said they withdrew it due lack of interest and then the story changes to there are strength issues.
Ultimately we dont know becuase no one has done it.
Don't knock it unless you've tried it I say.
MattG
Grease Monkey

Post by MattG »

No, CAPA didn't have enough interest to make a kit up (not RPW).

RPW I heard withdrdew with strength issues. Although I would have thought both turbo and supercharging would have the same effects.

If you stuck an intercooler on a supercharger it should be that same as a turbo with an intercooler.

I did a lot of research on the web a while ago about supercharging, and was also thinking about going that route.

If you had an adjustable boost on your turbo it would be far easier to up the boost when you want to rather than having to spend more money for new gears and belts for the supercharger though.
There also seems to be a lot more support (places installing them etc) for turbos rather than superchargers.

M@
WILL
Grease Monkey

Post by WILL »

Isn't someone in England supercharging their FTO?
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

Tony Banton's FTO is Supercharged. He used to have some pictures in the Smartgroups forum but I can't find them. He also does Brembo brake kits for the FTO if you have 1800 dollars to spend!!!
elmo
Grease Monkey

Tony

Post by elmo »

Now how can I get hold of this guy and have a chat?

Anyone know a link etc to the one in england?

As for turbo's being more popular...
Well if all the shops push turbos, and recommend against superchargers...
a lot of turbo kits are just thrown together copies that work on other cars. A supercharger kit would require a bit of thinking to get the gearing etc right and cause none of the companies that recommend turbos have done it and don't know how to do it, they just recommend against it.

Dont get me wrong, a turbo has its merits, and I dont wanna get into a debate about which is better, but this supercharger technology has been left by the wayside in pursuit of simpler alternatives.

Just one more point, how many supercharged aircraft are there compared to turbocharged ones?
Aviation is an industry where they have put the research and development dollars into superchanging and come up with good results. Ultimately it is not the cost of the systems but the cost of the research that makes it so expensive at the moment.
And why would they go that way if turbo's are better?
salacious
Grease Monkey

Post by salacious »

Tony's email address is tonyb@balsall.fsnet.co.uk

If you wish to see the size difference between standard GR discs and the Brembo conversion you can go here
http://www.memoryofwater.fslife.co.uk/BremboA1.htm