intake noise

Anything off topic that you want to share with the group. (warning this board may include coarse language)

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

bduffman
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

intake noise

Post by bduffman »

Hey guys was playing around with the work car (yarris) and noticed there intake pipe befor the filter just loops up in a c shape to no opening of cold air so I pulled it off and looked to swap it downways but dosent fit so took it off and def notice its a lot louder

Question is has any one noticed a diff in sound when they took the stock air pipe befor filter off the fto or swaped the stock pipe for custom ( I know pods will make it sound diff to but I didn't think taking a 30cm bit of pipe off befor the filter would change the sound that much
dstocks
National Vice President

Re: intake noise

Post by dstocks »

Well, itll change the airflow, so quite possibly as there is normally a restriction in the stock intake pipe.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    phunkydude
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by phunkydude »

if you mean the growl when you rev it , then yes it'll be different.
    but i bet you'll notice performance loss if you attach the filter right at the throttle body, as NA needs some pressure for better airflow?

if you mean the air suction / induction noise,
    i don't think stock panel filter on NA will have that noise, regardless of any custom piping.

with my pod and custom piping, at idling i can hear the air suction noise clearly even with the hood closed whilst standing beside driver's door.
    while inside the closed cabin, i can only hear the induction noise starting from 6k rpm.
    evoman
    Grease Monkey

Post by evoman »

Not 100% sure what you are asking, but for example replacing the stock intake with the UAS 3"-4" pipe and maintaining the stock airbox results in no noticeable difference in induction noise.

Putting a pod filter on that obviously allows you to hear the full orgasmic range of the FTO induction noise.
    bduffman
    Oldtimer

Post by bduffman »

in the bottem right corner where the intake box is theres a small pipe in a c shape that loops up
    http://www.topspeed.com/cars/toyota/200 ... 02498.html
    i took it off the other day and it makes it sound a lot louder