Wheels

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Makaveli_600
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Wheels

Post by Makaveli_600 »

Hey i am looking at gettin some wheels 18x8.5 with lowest profile tyres. I know it says that 8'' is the widest you can get without rubbing. My question is i am planning to lower my car on king spring lows lowered 35mm and get my gaurds rolled out. Just wondering will this cause any problems? Thanks.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Lowering it will make the issue worse. You need to be very careful the offset of the rim you choose. You will need to have them offset out a little more than usual, as most of the rubbing is done on the inside edge of the tyre & undergaurd. So offset out & yeah, you'll need to roll the gaurds.
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

To give you some figures, a standard FTO offset is +38. Most people with aftermarket rims (bigger) go with a +35 offset. I run an 18 x 8 with a +32 offset & it still rubs, I needed 3mm spacers to stop it rubbing on the inside. So I'd be going for an offset somewhere in the range +28 to +30
Makaveli_600

Post by Makaveli_600 »

hey great infomation, thanks a lot for the help and quick reply as well. I will just change to a 18x8 wheel and get 3mm spacers like you have. in your case are your gaurds rolled and car lowered?
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Gaurds are not rolled, but I am lowered 35mm on the front & 25mm on the rear. What I'd ideally like to do is roll the rear gaurds (as there's more room under there than at the front) and go from a 225 wide tyre to a 245 tyre. That'd look hot. I reckon an 8.5inch rim would fit in there too. Only issue then would be that I couldn't rotate tyres front to back.... meh, I chew thru a front set every 6 months anyway :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Bennoz wrote:Gaurds are not rolled, but I am lowered 35mm on the front & 25mm on the rear. What I'd ideally like to do is roll the rear gaurds (as there's more room under there than at the front) and go from a 225 wide tyre to a 245 tyre. That'd look hot. I reckon an 8.5inch rim would fit in there too. Only issue then would be that I couldn't rotate tyres front to back.... meh, I chew thru a front set every 6 months anyway :lol:
Agreed, 245 would look sweeeet
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Makaveli_600

Post by Makaveli_600 »

Hey all thanks for the advice, i have finally gone out and bought wheels, and am very happy with the choice i made, they look great - i will have some photos up asap so everyone can check out my ride, im a new memeber but i think some of my mods will interest people.
the wheels i got are
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_c ... art_no=833

and the tyres the man said where the second lowest profile available, as he said the ride quality will be better amoungst other advantages. Although the minor problem is some minor rubbing happens.

When i turn right (happens after 1/2 lock) the front left wheel rubs slightly and worsens the further lock you go. I am not sure how to fix this problem. its only the front left wheel that rubs, the wheels are only 7.5 inch wide. Im guessing some 3-5mm spacers? but will that then rub the top of the gaurd? i was thinking some spacers to change the offset and gaured rolling if nesasary.

All help would be greatly apprecaited
harry90
Oldtimer

Post by harry90 »

Makaveli_600 wrote:Hey all thanks for the advice, i have finally gone out and bought wheels, and am very happy with the choice i made, they look great - i will have some photos up asap so everyone can check out my ride, im a new memeber but i think some of my mods will interest people.
the wheels i got are
http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_c ... art_no=833

and the tyres the man said where the second lowest profile available, as he said the ride quality will be better amoungst other advantages. Although the minor problem is some minor rubbing happens.

When i turn right (happens after 1/2 lock) the front left wheel rubs slightly and worsens the further lock you go. I am not sure how to fix this problem. its only the front left wheel that rubs, the wheels are only 7.5 inch wide. Im guessing some 3-5mm spacers? but will that then rub the top of the gaurd? i was thinking some spacers to change the offset and gaured rolling if nesasary.

All help would be greatly apprecaited
i think these ones are pretty decent and would definately suit the fto..
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/1071/avatarxj1.jpg[/img][/url]
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Start with a small spacer - ie 2mm. You'd be surprised how much difference that can make. I've got a pile of them somewhere if you want to borrow some :)
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

v nice wheels!
Makaveli_600

Post by Makaveli_600 »

Thanks heaps for the imput. Would i need to space all 4 wheels? Does it matter if only the front to are? Anyone know rough costs for like 2mm-3mm spacers? Thanks heaps for the offer to borrow them Bennoz thats great generousity. But i think they are cheap items? probly better for me just to buy my own.
bushido
Oldtimer

Post by bushido »

These look like spin offs of the Volk GTC. Nice wheel btw
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
###########Unofficially the loudest FTO in NSW???##########
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

i thought spacers were illegal?
CHRISTIANITY: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Bit like your window tint :lol:
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

ROFL
Delvance
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

bushido wrote:These look like spin offs of the Volk GTC. Nice wheel btw
That's the first thing that came to my mind too. Nice looking however!