If you want an AWD turbo FTO here is your chance

So you want a hairdryer on your FTO? Or do you already have a hairdryer in it? This is the section for it. All other big power projects & forced induction goes here too.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

scremn
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Post by scremn »

Haha, sorry about that man. Internet was doing weird sh!t so I just kept hittin submit :oops:

If you can fabricate stuff yourself you'll be sweet but otherwise its a lot of messing around and money. I've just about finished the 4WD conversion in my CE coupe and its cost me a bit, but thats mainly cause no one in NZ had 4WD converted one yet. Ive learnt heaps though and think I could do it quite cheaply to another similar chassis'd car... *cough* FTO *cough* :D Thats kinda why I've been hovering around this site. Surprised no one has done the conversion actually, FTO's are getting pretty cheap in NZ as well.
mr-charisma
Oldtimer

Post by mr-charisma »

yeah, no worries. I got caught out as well, the site has been slow to transition to the next page after posting for the last day or so.

Theres one thing you've got to realise about Aussies .. we're all tight asses! We like to talk about it, but its mostly all talk :P

Nothing wrong with rotors ;) If I had the first clue as to how or even if I could drop a 13BT or 20B into my FTO I would do it in a sec - I don't think that my cheap-skate Aussie side would have any say in the matter :P

I think you probably already know more about it than anyone on this site ..

One thing I'm wondering is, to make the tunnel are you going to have to modify the floorpan? And would you have enough clearance under the car so you're not smacking it on every bump in the road?
scremn
Apprentice

Post by scremn »

Well, Im Indian and Indians are considered tight too :lol:

To be fair though, its not about being tight, spending the money has to be justified and I guess parts are fairly easy to come by for this conversion in NZ so I went through with it.

The driveshaft example you mentioned shouldnt really be an issue as even in my car which was FWD, I did not modify the tunnel and the driveshaft clearance is fine. I think the problem with the RWD conversion is that where the driveshaft joins to the gearbox is higher then if it were connected to a transfer case - hence the higher tunnel. Modifying the tunnel can be considered modifying the floorplan but the gearbox mounts will need to be solid mounted somehow which could be a mission.