FTO engine life

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

spacepants_fb
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO engine life

Post by spacepants_fb »

Hi guys,

I am looking at getting this FTO:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MITSUBISHI-FTO-G ... otohosting

The only problem is the high kms that the car has managed to accumulate. It has done 206k kms as the owner drives it from Campbelltown to Smithfield on a daily basis. The questions I wanto to ask are:

1. how hardie are these fto engines and how much more life can I expect out of it?
2. what is more cost efficient, getting the engine rebuilt or getting a new block? How much will i be looking at?

Sorry about my ignorance but I've been a honda driver most of my life. Any info will be greatly appreciated as I am seriously considering getting this car. Thanks everyone.

Regards,
Fernando.
Supplanter
Forum Moderator

Re: FTO engine life

Post by Supplanter »

spacepants_fb wrote: Sorry about my ignorance but I've been a honda driver most of my life.
We won't hold that against you :P

I am assuming they will be Highway kms, which are better than stop-start city kms. It really depends on the driver, how they treated the car.
LED ALL the things.
SG
Veteran Mechanic

Post by SG »

for comparison i've been driving my ~158,000k engine everymonth at a track for a year or 2 and it still seems fine :) but i also do a service every 2 months
Last edited by SG on Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spacepants_fb

Re: FTO engine life

Post by spacepants_fb »

Supplanter wrote:
spacepants_fb wrote: Sorry about my ignorance but I've been a honda driver most of my life.
We won't hold that against you :P

I am assuming they will be Highway kms, which are better than stop-start city kms. It really depends on the driver, how they treated the car.
Hahahaha...at least I'm seeing the light and going for an fto. :P The current owner says that they are mostly highway kms and that he purchased it from a dealer 3 years ago. So if it has been looked after, what is the best case scenario for an fto with this many kms?
spacepants_fb

Post by spacepants_fb »

And how much can I get a GPX engine block for nowadays?
aza013
NSW Coordinator

Post by aza013 »

if you are looking for just the block then I have one well I have almost a full moror apart from the pistons and rods lol so if you need any thing just send me a PM :D
dstocks
National Vice President

I

Post by dstocks »

I sold 2 for between 500 and 600 and I saw one on ebay recently for 600. Having said that I have seen them go for substantially more than that too.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    nicholas
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by nicholas »

Of course you can rack up kilometers like that easier on a highway... but 206k kms is a lot, regardless of how they're done, IMO.
    jonowong
    Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

take a few for a drive and compare... if that one feels odd dont get it
    Delvance
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

To be brutally honest, 206 is a bit much, even if most of them are highway km's. The wear and tear on not just the engine but support items like pumps and even hoses (leaks etc) will make it a potential nightmare. I'd try for something lower kays...

What honda did you drive ? Always wanted a dc2r but couldn't afford it when i was first shopping for a car.
    spacepants_fb

Post by spacepants_fb »

I might give this one a pass then. I may just wait for another white fto to come up for sale. I'm actually looking for a tiptronic gpx (preferrably in white) and I just missed out on one being sold in Sadlier. It had only done 100000 kms, called up the guy, asked him to see the car last Saturday, but then the add disappeared and I didn't take down the number! I'm not sure if it was sold or if the ad just expired.

I used to drive a red ek civic which was originally a cxi but had it converted with b16a jdm spec running gear. Had full i/h/e, tein adjustable coilovers, whiteline sway front and rear, ctr lip kit and rear spoiler, exedy heavy duty clutch, ctr headlights and bucket seats. The last time I dynoed the car I had 106 kw atw which is nothing special but more than enough for a little car like that. This waiting is killing me...I want an fto now!!!
    Grue
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by Grue »

Don't rush into it... drive as many as you can, and troll the forum for research on the usuals like droplinks, servicing, tappets etc.

Waiting for the perfect one to come along will make it all the sweeter when she's yours! Oh yes... all yours! Mu ha ha ha!
    If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bull...
    Delvance
    Veteran Mechanic

Post by Delvance »

spacepants_fb wrote: I used to drive a red ek civic which was originally a cxi but had it converted with b16a jdm spec running gear. Had full i/h/e, tein adjustable coilovers, whiteline sway front and rear, ctr lip kit and rear spoiler, exedy heavy duty clutch, ctr headlights and bucket seats. The last time I dynoed the car I had 106 kw atw which is nothing special but more than enough for a little car like that. This waiting is killing me...I want an fto now!!!
    Oh shite, the fto is gonna feel so average for you now :P Nice ek btw. 106 atw with a b16a is pretty good, nice one! I only managed 116 with my fto and that's from a 2L...then i broke the chassis :lol:

Good choice on waiting for another one. 200+ really is a lot. I've seen some 6a12 engines go over 300,000+ but they really are almost dead by then.

Anything under a 100k is good for an fto otherwise little above is ok provided the owner took good care of it like servicing with good oils, warmed the car up etc...though it's getting harder and harder to find as the car is getting old.
    spacepants_fb

Post by spacepants_fb »

Thanks for all the advice guys. As for the fto feeling average, not really in int for the speed now. Getting engaged so i want a nice cruiser that both the fiancee and I can drive around. Just want comfort and looks, but don't get me wrong...I don't want to get a complete nugget (camry, cough). So I'll just keep my eyes peeled and keep on saving money, then maybe I'll be lucky and one of you guys puts up a bargain buy for sale within the next month or so. Just sucks to be a pedestrian!