General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

FTO338
Oldtimer
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Things u need to know about Alarm system

Post by FTO338 »

Ok folks!

I'm sure many of you would think your car would be pretty safe with your 3 points alarm, well think again.

I had a mongoose 3 point alarm installed, & yesterday morning all my sound system was ripped out of my beloved FTO. I had a Clarion DVD, TV, & panasonic MP3, but is all history now. Well at least the Sparco seats are still in good shape, & i fixed the Apexi RSM.

How did it happen?? Well one of the fuse had blow out so the alarm will only activate the immobiliser, but didn't lock the door. So heres a lesson to be learn. Even if u hear the beeping noise when your arm your vechicle but your alarm might not be activate.

I know some of you might say but u can hear the clicking nose from the central locking, yes u can hear the central locking if you near your car, but i normally arm the car when i enter my front door, therefore i won't be able to hear the clicking noise.

& just for the record, i close my side mirror when i park the car, so for those who had the alarm close the mirror when activated inorder to tell if the vechicle is armed. It just wouldn't work for me.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Re: Things u need to know about Alarm system

Post by ruchi »

FTO338 wrote:& just for the record, i close my side mirror when i park the car, so for those who had the alarm close the mirror when activated inorder to tell if the vechicle is armed. It just wouldn't work for me.
Firstly, Kev, I'm so sorry to hear that, that's a real sh*t! :cry:

Do you fold your mirrrors in to fit in your parking space, or do you do it simply as a matter of precaution, so no one damages them while your car is parked?
MIVEC is My Friend :D
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Thax ruchi, yeah i close the mirror for both reason. I close the mirror before i park at my spot.

Well all the concole & electronic been fixed. Also new system had already installed, so its ready for the sound battle again ehehehe :twisted:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Here's a different sugesstion... inside your remote control for the alarm will be a tuning pot which you can adjust with a small screwdriver. This will increase / decrease the range of the transmitter. If you decrease this, it will only work when you are closer to the car, and will force you to be within hearing range of the sound of the central locking.

I decreased my range, as I was accidentally arming and disarming my car when handling my keys or sitting down with them in my pocket. So the car was arming and disarming without me knowing and without me hearing, as the range was so long.

Between the shorter range and folding mirrors, I always hear and see when the car is armed or disarmed and there is never any doubt..
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

ruchi wrote:I decreased my range, as I was accidentally arming and disarming my car when handling my keys or sitting down with them in my pocket. So the car was arming and disarming without me knowing and without me hearing, as the range was so long.
A lot of alarms have the auto re-arm function which basically re-arms the alarm if no active sectors (ie doors/boot) have been opened for 30 seconds after disarming. This basically means that accidental presses in your pocket will not leave your baby open for thieves for any longer than 30 seconds :D
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

It is now an Australian standard and I believe the time is 40 seconds. But if I understand the standard correctly, most alarms that do this, simply arm the car and engage the immobiliser but generally don't lock the car doors (in case your keys are still inside the car).

Some car alarms are possibly programmable as to whether they lock the doors too, but so far, all the ones I've seen don't lock the door (just arm and immoblise). So someone still could get in and steal the ICE etc.
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Sorry to hear of your loss Kev,its a real sh*tty thing to happen when youve worked hard to get them :cry: Have you replaced your stuff yet under insurance?If so what did ya get?
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

nah, Kev is too tight-arsed to claim it under insurance.... :P

seriously though' this sorta thing really sux balls man... but what to do, sh*t happens. i hope the crooks get back what they deserve someday and have their arses wrecked in jail for it. since then Kev has installed his old system back - let's just hope and keep those fingers crossed that they stay there for longer this time!
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

yeah well the mongoose does have an auto re-arm function, unless the engine is running, it will lock the door/arm even if the keys in the ignition 8O

Anyway that still doesn't help with a blew fuse.

Mikey Mikey Mikey....... where did u get the idea that I installed my old system back in the FTO??
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Kev installed a system he "borrowed" from the Jaguar of that guy in the car park at his work! :lol: REVENGE! :twisted:
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Dam ruchi u busted me!!!!!! But the Jag sounds system plays like sh*t though ahahahahhaha
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

BTW, you still owe me for keeping an eye out for him while you were doing it! :wink:
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

thought you said you installed your old system back in temporarily? 8O

maybe i really do have a memory issue LoL....
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmm i think you do have a memory issue buddy!!!!! :cry:

I said i've still got the old system sitting at my mechanic place & even though is a full sound system, (Alpine tape head unit, Alpine 1 din digital equalizer, Alpine 6 Disc stacker, Marathon 2 channel amp, Kicker 4 channel amp, Kicker 12" sub, Infinity 6" 3ways), but it would be my last option if i'm desperate for a sound system.

AND NO MIKEY i'm not desperate for a sound system.
Robb
Grease Monkey

Post by Robb »

Kev buddy that really F#@ken pisses me off when pricks break into cars to flog sh*t...:evil: last time I actually caught some little snot breaking into a car (not mine) I crash tackled him and beat him til he bled :twisted: he managed to get up and run so I just went to the cop shop and made a report gave his discription (minus the ass whooping and blood stains) and went back to my car and went home...

BTW my car was 2 spots down from the car that he was breaking into so it could have been my car that he was going to break into... thats my justification for the bashing him....:)

On the suject of alarm systems I have a BRANT multiple point alarm/immobilizer (cant member how many points) untraceable black wiring and the company claims that there has never been a report of a theift with their system installed but I supose that doesnt include someone just breaking in to steal stuff....:roll:

Any wha hoo I hope YOU are the one to find the thief... if anyone ever does try to break into my car I hope I catch them... they will regret the day they were born....:evil:

Robb...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

hehehehe Robb, i make sure when i catch the "bastard" i will take a little trip with him/her (in the boot of course) to see you :wink:
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

FTO338 wrote:yeah well the mongoose does have an auto re-arm function, unless the engine is running, it will lock the door/arm even if the keys in the ignition 8O
ruchi wrote:It is now an Australian standard and I believe the time is 40 seconds. But if I understand the standard correctly, most alarms that do this, simply arm the car and engage the immobiliser but generally don't lock the car doors (in case your keys are still inside the car).
I don't think you guys really understand the re-arm function. It only re-arms if you haven't opened one of the sectors. ie. if you open any car door or the boot, the re-arm countdown will cancel. Hence you can never lock your keys in. And it does re-arm the immobiliser plus locks the doors.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about another victim of such a low crime. My car was broken into last year. Thankfully, they only managed to steal the face of my head unit. They tried to unscrew the stacker as well, but failed miserably.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Every alarm got different programs & setting, my last one does what u just mentions. But unfortunately the mongoose i've got isn't program this way. I've already ask my alarm guy, & few other installer as well.

So as soon as i switch off my car even i haven't open my door, it will arm the car with my keys in the ignition, thats why I didn't program it to lock the door with auto re-arm.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

rxboy I was refering to what I have been told is the Australian Standard (as required by many insurance companies), not refering to any specific model.

Most models are programmable to go beyond the Australian Standard and can do all the extra stuff.
Robb
Grease Monkey

Post by Robb »

FTO338 wrote:hehehehe Robb, i make sure when i catch the "bastard" i will take a little trip with him/her (in the boot of course) to see you :wink:
Oh hell yes bring em to me...:twisted: that goes for any 1 else that catches some1 breaking into their car....

Robb...