Battery Probs....HELP!!!

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

jetlee
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Battery Probs....HELP!!!

Post by jetlee »

Hi Guys, my battery light seems to light up whenever i turn left or brake suddenly??? No probs with car though? & seems to be charging ok
Any ideas
Cheers
Artist formerly known as XXXFTO
jetlee
Apprentice

Post by jetlee »

been happening for 1 month, still happening today
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Are you sure it is the battery light and not the windscreen washer light?

Is it the one on the top right hand corner of the dash?
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

if its the one im thinking of, then it means your battery water level is low.

just top it up and problem solved. I had the same thing happen to my car.

Cheers
Tim
jetlee
Apprentice

Post by jetlee »

yeah topped all water up and it def aint window washer lights
only when i turn left or brake hard? it could be wiring?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

That's odd, normally the problem you desribe is related to fluids being low, and as you turn or brake the fluid moves below the level of the sensor and the lights come on.

The next obvious thing to look at is wiring, but where is the issue. It could either be a loose connection from the battery or to the ground. Have you cleaned and checked your battery terminals? Is the volt meter or light fluctuating? or do you have any other electrical issues?

When you topped up the battery water, was it low? If so, the battery could possibly be damaged beyond being able to recover from additional water, however you should notice this with electrical equipment such as lights or the volt meter, when you engine is turned off.
MIVEC is My Friend :D
Hellsmurf
Apprentice

Post by Hellsmurf »

[quote="jetlee"]yeah topped all water up and it def aint window washer[quote]

jetlee, are you sure you read ruchi's post right? he doesnt mean the windscreen washer fluid, he means the battery water level - the battery itself contains water as an electrolyte, if your battery has a slow leak then the level will go down, and of course under heaving braking or turning, the water will move around, exposing the sensor, as has been stated earlier. Not trying to be rude, just hoping this might help... :wink:
jetlee
Apprentice

Post by jetlee »

sorry i should've explained it better, i meant:
topped up battery water all ok & it definately isnt the windows washers [ruchi's post]
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Was the battery water level near the top, or was it quite low? If quite low, the battery might have sustained irrepairable damage.

With the engine turned off (key in accessory position), what voltage does the volt meter read? Again, with the engine off, does the lights and radio work OK? Does the car crank over OK when starting, or is it sluggish? (all signs of weak battery).

If lights are bright and car cranks over easily when starting, then probably related to a loose wire or poor ground connection and not the battery. This is a bugger to isolate. The obvious things are the clean the battery terminals, and most importantly look for what electrical equipment is being effected when this warning light comes on, that will help with tracing which wiring is being effected.
jetlee
Apprentice

Post by jetlee »

yes the water level was low and the first chamber was nearly dry
its something i never considered checking until the batt light came up, as for the last 6 years i have been driving and even before every battery i saw opened was full!!!
so i guess the battery could be permenately damaged but strange how the light only comes up when i turn left quicker than about 15km

my guess is a wiring fault though

how much is a new battery any how
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

A good maintenance free (no water top-up required), high capacity (500+ CCA) should be around $70-$90.

But this might not be the problem.

When your car is running, it is primarly powered via the alternator, when the engine is off, it is via the battery. So as mentioned in my previous post, with the engine off (key in accessory position) look at the volt meter, the brightness of the head lights and how easily the car cranks over when starting, as these will all give you an indication of the status of the battery.

If all these things are good, then it is more likely to be wiring.

If these things are poor, then it could be an issue with the plates inside the battery and it for some reason is only effected when under pressure (increased gforce as you break / turn).