FTO on P's???

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

watty
jedwabna poszewka promocja

FTO on P's???

Post by watty »

I have found a few bits on this forum about driving an FTO on p-plates but still aren't sure what the rules are

I was thinking of getting a GPX but according to what I have read they are 150kw and weigh 1190kg which puts it just over.

The GR is only 127kw and weighs 1170kg which puts it under.

Does VIC roads that have a list that says yes or no, or do they go on the weight of the car at the time of registration? I mean it's not hard to add the extra 20 or so Kilos required

Thanks, any help would be great
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

8O well... i just recently got my P's (2weeks ago) and i did my test in my FTO, GPX and ive been driving it ever scince and no one has said a word.

Plus ive put a filter on and getting my exhaust/extractors soon so i doubt you wouldnt be able to drive it.

Tim
mrdj1234
Grease Monkey

Post by mrdj1234 »

from the vic roads site:
High powered cars
While you can drive most vehicles, you are not permitted to drive a high powered car. These are cars which have a power to weight ratio greater than 125 kilowatts per tonne or with a capacity to weight ratio of more than 3.5 litres per tonne. A list of cars which may not be driven is available from VicRoads Registration and Licensing offices.
FTO probably isn't on that list, which means that unless the cop who stops you knows what the GPX is, it's probably going to be alright. I do know (from a cop friend) that they definitely DO crack down on REXs, Skylines and other hi-pro imports.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

i think it's based on the formula that for example, if the car weighs 1000kg and it has more than 125kw, then you might get into trouble (if the cop is on a power trip) but since the FTOs only have a handful over 125kw and it weighs more than 1000kg, you should be fine... Afterall I have never seen this rule being enforced on P-platers before (or maybe I don't hang out Chapel St enough during Sat nights LOL...)
Black_FTOGPX
Mechanic

Post by Black_FTOGPX »

Don’t worry about it.
I’ve had my FTO for over 6 months now (on my P’s). I have been pulled over for breathow’s heaps of times and no one has said anything.
:!:
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

one thing to wrry about is i get followed allot by cops when i dispaly p plates, especially under covers, so take it easy with your p plates
watty

Post by watty »

Yeah thanks people, I wasn't planning on doing any "stupid" driving, just didn't want to buy 1 then find out that I aren't even allowed to drive it.

How did u other P platers go 4 insurance?

I rang 4 a few quotes today, first few trys found most don't even insure imports but then tried just cars and famous, prices were (for full comp), just cars $3500 & famous $2900 this is OK for the 1 of fee but can't afford every year!!

Also I know this has already been discussed but it changes pretty often, and each case is different, thanx gpxxx
payaya
Oldtimer

Post by payaya »

i've gone through my whole P plate life with an FTO police say crap nothing.

i know guys with TE50's etc cops in vic dont give a crap.
Redboost
Apprentice

Post by Redboost »

One thing to remember with owning any car is, even if you can buy one, can you afford to keep it? A car has ongoing expenses (insurance, petrol service/maintenance, tyres etc....) and if you feel you cannot pay these on an annual basis, then to be honest, you probably shouldn't be buying the car in the first place. Don't buy a car on impulse - think it through and work out whether you really can afford to keep it. I know guys who've bought nice cars and not bothered taking other expenses into account and a year later when rego and insurance is due, they find they can't pay them and end up selling the car - the pain you feel for them is really heartbreaking!
"If you aren't remembered, then you never really existed"