General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Borya
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

To import or not?

Post by Borya »

Hey ppl,

Has anyone recently imported an fto under the new laws? With like an importer? If so, how did it go, and how much more did u pay if compared to if you bough the same car with the same specs here...

The reason why i ask is because i'm not sure if i should import one with like an import company (ie J-Spec ) or keep looking for used ones already in Oz.

The main reason for importing (for me) is more choice, and if the car is grade 4 or 4.5 then quality, less km's... :) (oh and + sometimes the nice aftermarket mods :P )

It is hard buying one here because of what i want... and most of the ones i have seen are not in the best cond, and omg manuals r so rare... :?

Thanx, Boris.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

I was told be another FTO owner, that under the new import laws the car needs to be unmodified. So you can't import a done up FTO, only plain jane ones.

I suggest you look a bit harder in Australia, perhaps even come along to some for the FTO meets or cruises, there's some very nice FTOs here in Australia.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

you will not be able to import a modified FTO into Oz under the new law, and apparently the compliance costs are a little more expensive now. if you speak to Craig at J-Spec or Geoff from Prestige, they should have a better indication of what the on road costs are, but if local availability is a major issue to you, then all i can say is either be patient or bite your tongue and go through the importing process...

the financial savings are quite significant (compared to import dealer yards) but you are essentially taking a chance at pouring thousands into something you cannot see, feel or smell... are you comfortable with that?

also have you tried searching interstate?
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

well... what you could do is get someone you know thats in jap (or get your importer to) strip off all the modded parts, mail them over and send over the unmodded fto....
although prices may be expensive... not sure about postage of 20kg parcels overseas :S

Tim
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmmm one quick question Tim, how u going 2 send the car over as a whole car once u stripped it??? In order to regsisted the car on the road, it had to be send as a whole. If u going 2 send it as stripped, it can only be use as a wrack!!

And if you going to buy all the original parts to put it back on, inorder to send it as a whole, its going to cost you twice the money, plus the cost of shipping those performance parts!!!!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

well.. yeah.. you'd have to put the stock parts back on the car.. but the owner SHOULD still have them?
and if theres extractors/exhaust the complience dudes wouldnt be able to pick up if there changed?

Tim
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Japanese houses/flat/apartment are micro size, & their garage are even worst, so the chances of them still got original parts are almost 0%

But hey its a good thought, & u never know your luck either!!!
Last edited by FTO338 on Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

at this stage maybe it's also worth mentioning that the cost of labour in Japan is hideously expensive so if you are going to pay someone there to strip parts like bodykits/turbos/intercoolers/triple-plate clutches etc etc from an FTO, you will end up paying more than it's worth!
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

There's some very nice FTOs available in Australia, both standard and modded.

In fact, the best dressed FTO in Oz is currently for sale - Foulz's
Robb
Grease Monkey

Post by Robb »

What ever you do DO NOT buy the car from EVO Motorsports in fyshwick they will bend you over like no one has been bent before....8O
and they lie about the cars condition and generally shaft you...:evil: this is from my own experience and SEVERAL stories that I have been told...
good luck with your search and may be I'll see you one day cruzin' around the streets of Canberra....8)

Robb...
Borya
Apprentice

Post by Borya »

Thanx guys,

I guess if i can't import a modded fto then my search must go on... in Oz.
It would be cool to ship some mods over from the imported car but unfortunatly i have no friends in Japan :cry:

Thanx Rob, i've heard bout Evo Motosport, their cars are heaps over priced... so what your saying makes sense...

All the cars for sale in canberra are very over priced, so i've been looking interstate, NSW, VIC, QLD... etc... See i need 97,98 model...

What do you think about this one:
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/marketpl ... 5&PageNo=1

I've asked them what model it is, cos i donno if it's a GPvR or what... I think it wouldn't be bad if i bargained the price lower... Hmmm... 8O
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

Borya wrote:What do you think about this one:
http://carpoint.ninemsn.com.au/marketpl ... 5&PageNo=1
that's quite a good price to pay for a genuine GPvR... look out for non-climate control, blue seats and GPvR stickers... otherwise it's prob a GPX passed off as a version-R...