Remote Car Starter

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Raven
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Remote Car Starter

Post by Raven »

i have been surfing the net for days now trying to find the right remote car starter for my FTO but the only ones i can find are in the US and its a real Bit*h trying to get it from there.

one particular one i have found is the delux model at the url below.

http://www.securityworld.com/auto/autocommand.html

however i am trying to find one very similar to this in aus. if anyone knows where i can find these it would be much appreciated.
Whats an FTO?
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

You may want to double check if this will be an issue with your insurance company. I remember reading somewhere that for some insurance companies it will void your policy, as some of them will not allow remote starters.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

First of all, no insurance i'm aware of will insure a remote start alarm, second is illegal on a manual car in Aus, third all the remote start alarm i've seen so far is only 2 points immobilze, & all insurance company require minimum 3 points for any imported car.

It is a good fun gadet, & even better if u hook it up with all the windows/sunroof closure, as i use to have one! :wink:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

FTO338 wrote:First of all, no insurance i'm aware of will insure a remote start alarm, second is illegal on a manual car in Aus, third all the remote start alarm i've seen so far is only 2 points immobilze, & all insurance company require minimum 3 points for any imported car.

It is a good fun gadet, & even better if u hook it up with all the windows/sunroof closure, as i use to have one! :wink:
You're right about it being illegal for manual, but this 2 points requirement is a mystery. Just Car Insurance requires me to have a 2 point immobiliser and this has been so since the begining (way back in 2001 :D ).
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

It varies between insurance companies and also past histories as to what the minimum requirement is with an immobiliser.

I too am with Just Car Insurance, and while they have stipulated that I must have an immobiliser, in my case, they don't care how many points it has.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hmmm when i call up Just Car for insurance, they told me it had to be 3 points, then again i get different story from the same company all the time!!!

So maybe u guys should check if they changed the policy, or u might up for a suprise when u need to claim & hope it will never happen.
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

They inspected my car, so they have little comeback if any. I do however have other restrictions on the policy such as named driver and no one under 30 etc.

On my policy it simply states "immobiliser" as a requirement, whereas on some other Just Car Insurance policies I have seen it actually states "3 point immobiliser".
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

thanks for all the insurance help but i have that under control, what im after is a place to buy the starter.
Whats an FTO?