General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

MintFTO
Apprentice
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Who uses Radar Detectors?

Post by MintFTO »

Hi there,

Does anyone here use or know someone that uses a radar detector? I just purchased a couple (one for a mate) as my friend has one which saves him a lot of money?
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

Hey MintFTO, radar detectors are illegal in NSW and if the cops catch you with one you will be up for a mighty hefty fine. My hubby had one back in the 80's/90's before they were banned and yes they did save a lot on speeding fines but, and I dont know if this is true, when they banned them it was said that the cops had a way of picking up if you had a radar in the car. I have to think this may be true cos as soon as they were banned everyone I knew who had one immediately took it out of the car, and they would have been relativly easy to stash under the dash with the sensor on the top of the dash, but no one did it. So if you have one in the car just be aware that they are illegal.
Teh Ban Queen!
Teania
Mechanic

Post by Teania »

The other problem being that most of the radar detectors, I believe, only work with the fixed radar - those annoying little hairdryers are not actually "on" until they've got you..... which by then is usually too late.

**speaking as one who has been caught by the rotten *&#&%'s !!!! :evil:
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

As long as they are checking cars in front of you, then you will pick up on the radar splatter.

However, if you are the car in front, then you have little chance. Similarly, if they are using the new laser guns, your radar detector is useless.
MintFTO
Apprentice

Post by MintFTO »

Oh ok, well the detector i purchased is apparently immune to the radar detector-detectors, can pick up police laser, and has 360 degree detection.
I'll see how it goes anyways.
The Whistler DE-1760 responds to all types of radar currently in use by police, and provides 360 degree detection of all types of laser guns laser. The Whistler DE-1760 is immune to the VG-2 detector, and provides alerts when VG-2 is in use
You can see the details here.
http://www.buyradardetectors.com/Produc ... -1760.aspx
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

And Taneia I dont believe u would be speeding :wink: :wink:
Teh Ban Queen!
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

By the very nature of the laser guns, your detector would only be able to warn you once it is too late! 8O

The splatter (excess signal) from a laser gun is negligible.
JagerMarty
Apprentice

Post by JagerMarty »

Just curious, what is the range of these detectors?
How portable are they?
... I could have used one christmas day on the Hume Fwy :roll:
Teania
Mechanic

Post by Teania »

:( ... and the worst thing was Kazbah - I got done at 65kms in one of those new 50 zones *sigh* AND on double demerits ... ... ...
kazbah
National Secretary

Post by kazbah »

OUCH!!! Teania thats gotta hurt :(
Teh Ban Queen!
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

whats the laws on them in queensland?
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

HI Raven, Radar detectors are also illegall in Queensland. The police can be quite nasty about it to. Along with the fines the last time I checked they also had the power to destroy any radar detectors that where found. Back in the 90's friends had them fitted to cars and the police would remove them, place it under your rear wheel and instruct you to reverse over it. Another friend neatly hid it in a tissue box on the dash, with all the wiring invisible, but the police still found ti and proceeded to rip the detector and wiring from it's hidden mounting spots. :?
Jeff
Grease Monkey

Post by Jeff »

Yes, Illegal in Qld. They never used to have too many detectors in Qld so I kept using it for a couple of years. The detector was mounted in front of the radiator and the box under the dash. Then one trip to Byron I was pulled over by a NSW cop who detected my detecer. It took him 1/2 an hour to find it but he did take it and gave me a $1000 fine.
Jeff
YFT-08U
Apprentice

Post by YFT-08U »

The NSW police and most other states not only use the VG-2 RDD (Radar Detector Detector) but they also use the Stalcar RDD.

The Stalcar RDD is an Australian Made (Produced in QLD by Stealth Micro Systems Pty Ltd).

Due to the fact that the Radar detectors a readily available, the Stalcar units can be updated/upgraded with-in a couple of minutes and can virtually detect all Radar Detectors. The police obtain the Stalcar RDD and once a new detector is available on the Market they update the Firmware for the RDD.

Technical Specs Stalcar RDD:
2 x dual conversion superheterodyne with varactor tuned Gunn Oscillator
Temperature range - 5°C to 65°C
Power requirements - 13.50 volts to 14.50 volts (negative to earth)
Current maximum - 500 mA
Weight - 475 Grams
Dimensions (unit enclosure) 155 long x 93 wide x 35 high (in mm).

The STALCAR RDD ™ A/C-3 Plus Model
The Stalcar RDD ™ A/C-3 Plus: the next generation in RDDs.

Introducing the most technically advanced RDD ever produced from the industry leader: Stealth Microsystems Pty Ltd.
Simplicity of operation
Instantaneous Multi-Band reception
Anti-Cloaking System (defeats cloaking radar detectors)
Bar Graph Proximity display
Audio Alarm
Small, compact and light (under 500 grams with mount)
Unique 360 degree mount for easy target ID
Co-axial power cable
Australian Communications Authority approved for use in police vehicles
Plus these additional industry first features are standard on the Australian A/C-3 Plus model RDDs for 2004:
Brand new all surface mount motherboard assembly for even greater reliability and performance.
DSP controlled RFI Detector and Indicator with Auto-Mute (tuned for police radio and mobile phone frequencies).
DSP controlled Low volt detector and Indicator with Auto-Mute (RDD may now be used with a battery pack).
Plug in excess temperature sensor and indicator with auto reset.
Detection of the very latest stealth type "FCC Certified" radar detectors including all models using "VG-2 alert" and/or "Spectre alert". The Stalcar RDD A/C-3 Plus also defeats this feature on all currently available super wide band radar detectors.
A/C-3 Plus for 2004 also offers an optional gain control with low gain warning indicator (this unit is the most sensitive unit available giving over 2 kilometres of range on some radar detector models).
*As of the 27th October 2002, all radar detectors sold in the US must comply with new regulations set down by the FCC for unintentional radiators.
“FCC Certified” means that the particular radar detector to which the label is affixed complies with these new regulations.

The new Stalcar RDD A/C-3 Plus model incorporates the very latest state of the art technology to combat illegal radar detectors. The addition of an optional gain control gives the operator ease of target tracking and identification. Further, the gain control gives the operator an extremely long range for target detection. Due to this increase in gain DSP (Digital Signal Processing) has been added to ensure false alarms do not increase with the increase in sensitivity. Interference, which may be caused from high-powered accessories in a police vehicle, has now been alleviated by the use of high-speed DSP technology. This all new DSP circuit automatically mutes the RDD for a minimum of 4 seconds if interference is detected or the unit runs into a low volt situation. The Stalcar RDD A/C-3 Plus is simply the highest performing RDD available today.

Radar Detector technology is constantly changing so don't be left behind in the battle against illegal radar detectors. Contact Stealth Microsystems Pty Ltd about purchase or upgrades to your current equipment.
[/quote]
<P>[url=http://www.hotcarchicks.com][img]http://www.hotcarchicks.com/images/hotcarchicksBanner2.gif[/img][/url]</P>