License Demerit Points

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic
jedwabna poszewka promocja

License Demerit Points

Post by G_A_V »

Everyone Knows you get these stupid demerit points every time you get fined for speeding, etc, but when do you get the points back ?? how long is the fine branded to your license ?? I thought it was 2 years, but I still havent got the points back on speeding over 2 years ago
TimmyD
Mechanic

Post by TimmyD »

its 3 years before you get points back from a fine :P

sorry but your gona hafta wait another year :o

Tim
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I just like 2 point out is different in every state, & also depends if you are full License or P plated!!!!

So in your case, check with RTA
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

ok thanks guys, unfortinuitly im suspended :(
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Hey isn't that kinda great news, cause u get your full 12points back when u get your license back, & don't have 2 wait couple of yrs for it! hahahahahah :twisted:
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

not really, i cant drive for 2 months, and you onbly get the points back that put you over ther 12 (or 6 in my case im a p plater)
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

When the license is CANCELLED your points go back to 0, not suspended.
Raven
Grease Monkey

Post by Raven »

hows this:

i am in queensland and on P plates, so i have 4 points on licence, which i get back at end of each year till 21 then i get 12.

i got a 3 point fine for speeding which left me with 1 point. then 3 weeks later i got a 4 point fine. (i normally dont speed but a red FTO driven by a 19 y/o attracts some attention from cops.

the 4 point fine took me to -3 points, so they sent me the option of 1 point for a year or no licence for 6 months.
i took the 1 point for 1 year.

then they send me a paper saying i can get 1 point but if i get 2 i lose my licecnce.

this to me means that from having 1 point i now have 2, the 4 point fine means nothing except $250 and i still have a year untill i get the points back.
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Queensland Demerits

Post by RallyMad »

Hi Raven, I think you'll find though that if you do lose your points that you have over the year you will in fact face court and may lose you licence for a lot longer then 6 months. Don't hold me to that, but I think it's something like that. As for the fact that you don't get into trouble until you have negative points I had never heard of that. It sounds funny to me to that we can have 0 points and not be in trouble? 8O
TimmyD
Mechanic

Re: Queensland Demerits

Post by TimmyD »

RallyMad wrote:Hi Raven, I think you'll find though that if you do lose your points that you have over the year you will in fact face court and may lose you licence for a lot longer then 6 months. Don't hold me to that, but I think it's something like that. As for the fact that you don't get into trouble until you have negative points I had never heard of that. It sounds funny to me to that we can have 0 points and not be in trouble? 8O
no it is possible to have negitive points, the only reason you'd goto court is if you dont have a licence and you drive anyway, then its like a 2000$ fine 12 months loss of licence and meybe court.
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

sh*t...
RallyMad
Oldtimer

Post by RallyMad »

TimmyD, Don't forget that road rules change from state to state. Many mates of mine have had to go to court when the ran out of points on there licence. They had not lost their licence but regardless had to go to court. This was a while go though. Maybe the law has changed again.