Carbon firbre issues -Q & A

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

wildfaye
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Carbon firbre issues -Q & A

Post by wildfaye »

Hi, I have some questions regarding carbon fibre.

I would like to have some light weight body parts(bonnet n bootlid).

Carbon fibre as we all know is polished and shiny.

I would like the weight savings but do not want the weave printed patterns to show, but painting on top of this shiny surface would leave the paintwork undesirable.

Q: Is the carbon fibre pressed into the mould to make the shape before the shiny finish is processed?

If this is the case, after the shaping is done, can i choose not to have the polish process, than proceed to paint it with all the primer n stuff, will the paint look gd?

Any advice apprecitated!

Cheers!
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

not all carbonfibre are shiny/polished... you only get the shiny effect if there are layers of clear gel coat applied onto it...

the answer to your question is YES - carbonfibre is moulded onto the shape and when cured, a few layers of gel-coating are applied for a smooth finish...

Whether or not it has a shiny surface should not matter when u intend to paint it anyway, because the end result will be the same...

Personally i'd leave the weave patterns of the carbonfibre exposed and unpainted - looks cool and since they're so darn expensive, why cover it with paint? It's like buying a Ferrari and debadging it!

oh and also if you paint it, you will be adding some weight back onto the carbonfibre part (up to 20% when you factor in the layers of paint and primer used) which sorta defeats the lightweight purpose anyway!