Using ULP

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Supplanter
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Using ULP

Post by Supplanter »

I am going away for a few days over Xmas, and i don't think the area I am staying at (Lakes Entrance) has any service stations with premium.
How long can I use regular unleaded for? Anyone know of any decent servos in the area?

I don't want to have to resort to using my POS Lancer :(
LED ALL the things.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

You can use unleaded for as long as you like.

The FTO engine management system monitors all sorts of info, including those items effected by different RON fuels. If you use a lower RON fuel the FTO will automatically adjust the engine to compensate.

You will not cause any damage to the engine, potentially you may lose a little performance (but not much), and while the engine is working it all out it may ping a little bit.

Many FTO owners only use ULP and don't worry about the cost of PULP. Personally, having owned my FTO for only a short time, I am still experimenting between ULP and various brands of PULP with various octane levels. Although I can "feel" the difference sometimes, it is often hard to justify the extra expense, especially when Optimax is sometimes around 10c more than ULP.
Last edited by ruchi on Tue Dec 23, 2003 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilentBob
Mechanic

Post by SilentBob »

Most serivce station company's have websites listing their outlets...why not check a few and see..

though your safe using ULP, I always use PULP(preferably optimax) because
a)I notice the performance difference
b)its like a couple of bucks extra a tank
and
c)i didnt spend 20k on a relatively peformance car to give it crap fuel :)

SilentbOb
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Mate if u going through Bairsdale (15-20mins from Lake) to Lake Entrance, theres Optimax, If u fill up before u go, & fill up at Bairsdale when u coming bk u shouldn't have any problem, & from memory theres plenty of other 98ron petrol station on the way!
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

ruchi wrote:Although I can "feel" the difference sometimes, it is often hard to justify the extra expense, especially when Optimax is sometimes around 10c more than ULP.
How many times do I have to prove to people that using Optimax/Synergy 8000/BP Ultimate is actually CHEAPER than using ULP? I posted my calculations a few months ago and the higher RON fuels all returned a lower cost per km travelled than ULP. From the top of my head, I worked out that it costs me 15c/km travelled on ULP and 13c/km travelled on Optimax (this is probably lower now due to a fall in prices). Just work out your fuel economy on both types of fuel and then factor in the cost. Trust me - this is no bull (I'll scan in my maths equations if u want proof :lol: ).

As for using ULP, I've done it many times and there is absolutely no problem with it. It just might take a day for the engine to get used to it.
Daz_FTO
Grease Monkey

Post by Daz_FTO »

I have a 95 GR and run optimax or BP ultimate it. I have run it on different fuels to see which is better. I ran it on ULP for 5 weeks, PULP for 4 weeks and the top stuff for 3 weeks, then back to ULP for 4 weeks. I noticed a change between the Optimax and ULP and PULP. The car felt noticeably smoother in acceleration.

As for cost....seriously a few cents per litre, who cares if it costs $3 more on a $40 fillup. And rxboy is probably correct - it can be cheaper to use better fuel. .
scracy
Grease Monkey

Post by scracy »

Hey Ruchi i would get my engine management system checked out or at least the knock sensor checked, the engine should not ping at all regardless of what fuel you run as the engine management system should retard the ignition if you run a lower octane fuel. :lol:
<P>HKSFTO-most published fto in aust.</P>
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

Scracy, I was still half asleep when I wrote that post and got my tappet and pinging noises confused. I have now removed that comment.

I have virtually no pinging, unless changing fuels, and then only for a short time, but those FTO tappets, nothing quite like them for noise :wink:
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

filling up in sydney i get all the way to coffs harbour on a tank (with still 100km's to go -depending on the time of year).

there are plenty of servo's these days up north that its not a major concern for me anymore cause i can always get 98 RON fuel.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

rxboy wrote: How many times do I have to prove to people that using Optimax/Synergy 8000/BP Ultimate is actually CHEAPER than using ULP?
i can vouch for that, straight-up... my record so far - 580kms on a single tank spread over 1.5 weeks, with just over 8-litres left in the tank. that's not bad considering it sees 8000rpm 3x a day with better performance (and without the silencer fitted, i swear!)
patty
Apprentice

Post by patty »

how do u do it. I only get 400 k out of a full tank, and i use BP Primium fuel.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

patty wrote:how do u do it. I only get 400 k out of a full tank, and i use BP Primium fuel.
I use Optimax and being a manual, it does use a little' less fuel than the tiptronic... how i do it, i have no idea but i can take pics of it to prove my point!
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

patty wrote:how do u do it. I only get 400 k out of a full tank, and i use BP Primium fuel.
your lucky I only get 300 per tank
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

is that BP Premium Unleaded or BP Ultimate? There's a difference there...
kni8ht
Apprentice

Post by kni8ht »

is that BP Premium Unleaded or BP Ultimate? There's a difference there...
my understanding the Premium Unleaded has a lower RON .. I think about 96, while Ultimate has 98 RON.. Ultimate always normally cost few cents more.
lal
Grease Monkey

Post by lal »

I too can get 580-600km on a full Optimax tank like GPXXX..
mind you... it does see a lot of the M4 motorway (everyday to work)... but also a lot of stop and go at nights...

patty wrote:
how do u do it. I only get 400 k out of a full tank, and i use BP Primium fuel.
another factor to this may also be the way you change gears (when/what revs you change it). I have a manual, if I want to conserve fuel I change gears as low as possible (without straining the engine)... I try to change gears between 2750-3000rpm

fill up and give that a try and see if your kms increases in a full tank... if your used to high rev changes.. this may take some self control... but give it a go.
patty
Apprentice

Post by patty »

i been using the premium stuff 98 ron.