Resetting ECU

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Supplanter
Forum Moderator
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Resetting ECU

Post by Supplanter »

I am considering resetting the ECU to recalibrate the auto transmission in my car. Has anyone done this before, and if so, did it improve performance and gear changes in auto?
LED ALL the things.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Yesh i've done it, but no it doesn't give u any improvement
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
ruchi
Oldtimer

Post by ruchi »

It doesn't change the "performance" of the vehicle, rather it clears the memory, so it can learn your driving style.
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

there really isn't any real point in doing this as the car constantly adjusts to your driving style anyway.
rxboy
Mechanic

Post by rxboy »

When I got my tip box reconditioned, it had to relearn my driving style. It was a pain on the first day and then it reverted back to the same way before it screwed up on me. Absolutely nothing different.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

is that all it does? make the tiptronic gearbox re-learn your driving style?

what effect does resetting the ECU have on manual FTOs?
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

nothing really.
it will default back to factory settings which can be a lot of fun with low octane fuel (until it adjusts the engine down)...

apart from that nothing.
Robb
Grease Monkey

Post by Robb »

Man my ECU refuses to learn it gets scared of my driving style.....:wink: I think if it had legs it would run away....:lol:
*Looks at watch... Medication time*

Robb...
smorison
The Godfather

Post by smorison »

if you drive it constantly in manual mode it doesn't "learn". the only time its learns is when the car is in automatic mode (or as far as i can tell).
G_A_V
Veteran Mechanic

Post by G_A_V »

it learns more then when you like your gears changed, i am pretty sure it also learns useless things like airflow, and adjusts idle to match, also aircondidtioning idle and settings (i id and ecu reset and my airco seems a little cooler :). as well as petrol in the tank (ocatane rating), and possible fuel pressure (depending on your driving style). These are guesses not answerrs, correct me where im wrong