4g93t?

This forum is for technical discussions on anything that will make your car handle better or go faster.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Liquidity
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

4g93t?

Post by Liquidity »

guys, i know the 6a12 is a straight swap from fto > lancer..and i know the 4g93t is a direct bolt in to the lancer.

So would it be fair to say, a 4g93t would fit comfortably in an FTO? probably have some doo-hickery with driveshafts and whatnot, but it could be a good option for those wanting boost. put in a engine made for it.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

For the same amount of effort, i rather put a 4g63t. More power, better internal.

http://www.ftoaustralia.com/modules.php ... highlight=
DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

Yeah I think in a lancer the perfect turbo engine is a 4G93T but FTO is heavier, bigger and more sporty so evo engine FTW

But really a 4G15 DOHC MIVEC Turbo from the new colt would be perfect for a lancer I think
Liquidity
Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

yes but how much effort is it, really? the 4g93t bolts up, same engine mounts. If you just need to use fto driveshafts, surely thats easier than trying to drop in an (heavy) 4g63, and custom make mounts, etc etc.
jonowong
Oldtimer

Post by jonowong »

i was told by advan that the evo engine was the easiest to put in the fto...
its just the price of the engine... is fairly high...
mxysxy
Oldtimer

Post by mxysxy »

Liquidity wrote:yes but how much effort is it, really? the 4g93t bolts up, same engine mounts. If you just need to use fto driveshafts, surely thats easier than trying to drop in an (heavy) 4g63, and custom make mounts, etc etc.
excuse my lack of knowlege,
which model does 4g93t belongs to?
whats the power output for this engine
and what sort of engine is it; volume, piston type/size
spetz
Oldtimer

Post by spetz »

The one everyone talking about is from a CE GSR (VR-X)
It is a 1834cc DOHC turbo engine found in the AWD lancer below the evo.

I think this one is rated at 155 or 160kw and about 250nm torque from factory
Weak internals though, can only handle 14-16psi
None the less in a lancer this engine would be mint. I'd say strong enough with some minor bolt ons to get you into 12 second brackets on slicks, and light enough to still have a well balanced car
JahjaMan
Apprentice

Post by JahjaMan »

so...

which engine can be installed for minimum fuss?

and what about the availability of the engines and prices?
rrpol1

Post by rrpol1 »

I am Mechanically illeterate, but i need some help.
i recently blew the block of my 4 cyl. FTO 1996

and i was wondering what motor i could put in, which one would be a straight swap, as well as the cheapest.

i have had a lot of trouble importing the motor from overseas, and was wondering if a lancer motor of any sort would be suitable...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

Hey mate,

Welcome to the club, the following engines are a straight fit, I wouldnt use the words straight swap because there will obvisouly be wiring issues etc.

6A12 - mivec fto engine
6A12 - Non mivec fto enigne
6A13tt - Legnum engine
4G63t - Evo 4 onwards ONLY
4G93 - Fto engine

Well thats all I can think of
Bennoz
National President

Post by Bennoz »

Doesn't the 4G93 come in a bunch of Mitsi's? Such as Galants & other lancers? Why wouldn't you be able to pick one up from a wrecker?

www.partslocator.com.au
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

Parts locator is a great website, I used it to find my replacement 6A12.

Also, the 4G93 is found in a lot of Mirages/Satrias/Wiras and some Lancers. Wikipedia has a list of the cars it was available in, although I'd say you'd be after the DOHC version.

Wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_4G9_engine#4G93
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

4g63 came in all early evo's, not just 4 and up..

It also came out I'm the early Mitsubishi Eclipse.. In the 1g and 2g versions..

The 4g93t engine I'm the Lancer gsr.. Well where to start.. It is a good engine, but doesn't belong in an FTO. Also the gsr is not a lower end Lancer.. It is just the Aus delivered version of the evo.

Also, the 4g63 comes in the vr4. It is slightly different to the evo, but takes all the same parts.. Crank and a few little different bits here and there. But you can pick up a vr4 engine pretty cheap..

Also don't forget the rvr has a 4g63.. And if you want to go for a non turbo 2 litre engine, the hyundai g4cp is based on the 4g63..
I just had to add it ......
sublime19 wrote:Lol clearly you don't know me well enough, it was a joke :roll:
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
Astron_Boy wrote:Hold me Sooty, I need man comfort.
:utbnb:
koolio1234
Oldtimer

Post by koolio1234 »

rock_it wrote:4g63 came in all early evo's, not just 4 and up..
Thats true, but I think Simon was referring to the fact that the 4g63t used in the evos before the evo4 were known for a particular internal problems.
[img]http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww104/thekrevolution/FTOFINALSIGNATUREcopy.png[/img]
pete_gpx
Mechanic

Post by pete_gpx »

I think the main problem is that the gear box is on the wrong side.
Storm
Veteran Mechanic

Post by Storm »

pete_gpx wrote:I think the main problem is that the gear box is on the wrong side.
It is on 1,2 & 3s but the EVO IV - IX have 4g63t engines with the gearbox on the correct side. Just they are AWD and the only FWD car with a 4G63 in it was an early Eclipse which had the gearbox on the wrong side.

To fit it to an FTO gearbox needs an adaptor plate made up.

Bill
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

And the 4g93t has the gearbbox on the same side as the early evo's.. So that would cause problems, as well as be overpowered.
I talk a lot of sh*t, usually have to keep a roll of toilet paper handy in the car for my mouth :lol:
scremn
Apprentice

Post by scremn »

Just adding to what Storm said above, fitting the 4G63T from the older Evo 1-3 will not only require an adapter plate to mount to the FTO box, but also a new mount on the motor side as the engine will be back to front i.e. turbo at the back. Good for weight distribution I guess :D

rock_it: The 4G93T also came in two versions of the GSR Lancer, pre 96 (CC, Evo 1-3 shape) and post 96 (CE, Evo 4-6.5 shape).

Im quite a fan of the 4G9 series engines, even more so then the 4G6 series engines. Parts are interchangeable between generations, hell I've even heard of guys putting heads from the newer generations motors on the older blocks (or vice versa) swapping the intake and exhaust sides around 8) I personally use to have a hybrid 4G93T Mivec setup. Everyone know's about the potential of VTEC YO!!!!! Turbo setups, this is Mitsi's version of it :twisted:
rock_it
Oldtimer

Post by rock_it »

I was reading the other day about 4g64 turbo's.. And even people putting the 64 head on the 63 block.. A good way to go up to a 2.4ltr.. Wished I had of thought of that when building the Lancer...
I8A4RE
QLD Coordinator

Post by I8A4RE »

pete_gpx wrote:I think the main problem is that the gear box is on the wrong side.
That is exactly what i was referring to.
Rock it wrote:The 4g93t engine I'm the Lancer gsr.. Well where to start.. It is a good engine, but doesn't belong in an FTO. Also the gsr is not a lower end Lancer.. It is just the Aus delivered version of the evo.
I never mention the 4G93t i said the 4G93, which didnt that engine come out in a FTO? I think so.
Koolio wrote:Thats true, but I think Simon was referring to the fact that the 4g63t used in the evos before the evo4 were known for a particular internal problems.
Its the evo 4 engines that I would stay well away from. They are known for a major flaw in their design known as "crank walk". It was rectified at the end of the evo 4 production and never seen again on any 4g63t after that time.