Hi there, facing a damn tough choice

New to FTO's? Or Just new to this forum? Come introduce yourself, we dont bite.

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

Liquidity
Grease Monkey
jedwabna poszewka promocja

Hi there, facing a damn tough choice

Post by Liquidity »

*draws a deep breath*

Hi there, few of you have probably seen me on CAA, MLGA, FF, MCA, etc.
I'm facing the EXTREMELY tough choice between

a) Dropping the 6a12 mivec with lsd + manual box, + evo3/4 brakes and tein suspension into my CE lancer, or
b) just buying an FTO outright.

pro's/con's.
Lancer rear end, i just like them more.
Lancer, more interior space (right/wrong?)
Lancer, bigger boot? (right/wrong)
Lancer, Sleeper factor. 6a12 mivec in a lancer flies. Add an active exhaust system (almost silent at the flick of a switch) and hmm....

Fto front end : Pimp as can be, i love the aston martin look.
FTO, lower, better handling? Less head-screwery
FTO, heavier...about 200kg? (I havent looked up the curb weight of the fto yet, just going by word of mouth on that).
FTO : interior. I just love the driver/passenger seperation with the center console.
FTO : Sunroof.
FTO : Bit difficult to hide exhaust work? I dont like the exposed piping look, i'm more of a "muffler just peeking out the rear bar" person.
FTO : overall sleeker car.
FTO : Can get a black one. My lancers white and as nice as it is.....
FTO : Done up a little, can look a whole lot nicer than a lancer.

Either option would work out around the same price, because if i got the FTO outright i'd spend the couple grand difference on nicer seats, rubber, suspension upgrades etc.

I've joined here to do some research in regards to parts, servicing, etc. Hell, i dont even know yet if the FTO was ever officially imported by mitsubishi aus.
Hooking up a test drive of a manual this week. Well, that, or trying to find someone that will let me have a little poke around in their FTO, hehe.

So yas. Hi 8)
dstocks
National Vice President

Hi

Post by dstocks »

Where are you Liquidity??? Maybe one of the members can oblige you with a look depending on where you are.....

Cant answer most of your questions, but can say that Mitsubishi never officially imported the FTO. Having said that, the 95 GPX I got was originally bought in by a Brisbane based Mitsubishi Dealership.

As far as weights go here are some specs on the FTO for you. Youll have to find lancer ones to measure against, but that should not be too hard.....

http://www.completefto.com.au/FTO_showcontent.asp?hid=111

I can say that boot space is actually rather good for a sports car, but again, dont know how this compares with a lancer.

Thats about all I can answer. Hopefully others can give you a little more direction.
Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
    If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you
    shue
    Oldtimer

Post by shue »

hey liquidity. glad to see u made it out here pretty quick :wink: there are a few guys working on lancers with mivec's and the rest of us with fto's. im sure they'll help u make your mind up.
    <div><strong>My Car for Sale - Contact Me</strong></div><br>
    Liquidity
    Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

thanks for the link.
    I'm in adelaide, good old s of a.
    Hobbsie
    Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

id say go FTO for sure.. they are hot cars and rear end can be made to look nicer easily.. rear bar or altezza lights or spoiler removal .. whatever u like..

if u just want speed and have a low budget.. get a turbo.. a nissan or something.. 6a12 doesnt have that much power ..
    Liquidity
    Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

frankly, i'd prefer a zippy n/a FWD for a few years, before i can afford a 4wd turbo. I'm 20, and insurance would rape me on a turbo import, even though some of them could easily be outpaced by plenty of n/a monsters (ie, pure street driven drag cars) for the price of this conversion and ce chassis.

but thats life.
    Hobbsie
    Grease Monkey

Post by Hobbsie »

insurance for FTO is actually around the same as most turbos with many companies because its an import.. dunno what the insurance for a lancer with an FTO engine would be but im guessing pretty similair

and yea plenty of NA cars can waste jap turbos easily.. but not 2 litre N/A cars :P
    chelly
    Grease Monkey

Post by chelly »

hi Liquidity!! :D i was gonna put the mivec fto engine in my mirage n do brakes n suspension etc. but after i added it all up it was cheaper for me jus to buy n fto + i like the shape better..havnt looked back :D but it depends what u want in a car n how much $$
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

well let me steal some images from another recent thread plus other places to push you in the right direction :twisted:

hope this helps u make up your mind :P
    I have to work - People on the dole depend on me.
    Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
    Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
    chelly
    Grease Monkey

Post by chelly »

haha *cough* fto *cough cough* :D
    FTO338
    Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Lancer: You will need an engineer cert for all the mods, insurance are resonably cheap.

FTO: It look way better then Lancer in everyway. insurance is going cost you an arms and legs if you under 25. Even over 25, its still way too high IMO.

If you looking for straight line performance, i can tell you now that you can forget both. Unless you got a very deep pocket :wink:

But if you after a good looking car that can handle twisty very well, then the FTO is the one. I had a CE lancer before, and you have spend a bit before it can handle like a stock FTO.

The most important factor for most kiddies here is, you get a lot more chick attention in a FTO then a Lancer.
    DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

FTO338 wrote:Lancer: You will need an engineer cert for all the mods, insurance are resonably cheap.

FTO: It look way better then Lancer in everyway. insurance is going cost you an arms and legs if you under 25. Even over 25, its still way too high IMO.

If you looking for straight line performance, i can tell you now that you can forget both. Unless you got a very deep pocket :wink:

But if you after a good looking car that can handle twisty very well, then the FTO is the one. I had a CE lancer before, and you have spend a bit before it can handle like a stock FTO.

The most important factor for most kiddies here is, you get a lot more chick attention in a FTO then a Lancer.
    Well this just about sums it, couldn't have said it any better myself.. (apart from the Chingrish of course :lol: )
    Bennoz wrote:Meet Subby. The class leader & originator of post whoring... Although most of Subbys posts have 'content' :lol:
    Bennoz wrote:They especially hate bonnets, they frisbee across the road & behead a pedestrian.
    FTO338
    Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

I did try to write normal english once, but people got confuse and didn't understand me :oops: I guess after all these years, members got use to read all my posts backward. :lol:
    DISCLAIMER: The above text is the personal opinion of the author and does not represent the indisputable truth. The author is not responsible for any deaths, injuries or mental illness caused by the above statments.
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

haha well im confused if u do it on purpose or not lol cos on some occassions u do very well :)

well maybe u have Chingrish syndrome (like torrets syndrome - btw did i spell that right?) and it just comes and goes against your will :lol:
    Liquidity
    Grease Monkey

Post by Liquidity »

f**k it. FTO it probably is.

so long as its black, manual, lsd, with a sunroof, or i wont even bother. lol...so...might have quite some time to save before that pops up :P
    sublime19
    Sooty!

Post by sublime19 »

lol good luck finding a sunroof :o
    BorepYano
    Forum Moderator

Post by BorepYano »

FTO338 wrote:The most important factor for most kiddies here is, you get a lot more chick attention in a FTO then a Lancer.
    FTO338 wrote:The most important factor for most kiddies here is, you get a lot more chick attention in a FTO then a Lancer.
    sorry about the spam, but he is so right, sure so was the rest of the replies on here, but that part.... :D

if u r thinking bout dropping the FTO engine into a lancer, there are better choices. as a whole package FTOs would be the way to go. I see 1 or 2 FTOs a day (including mine)... how many lancers do you see?

i hold nothing against the Lancers, but they r just so common...

so my vote is FTO, and if you got a spare $22k... make it an AWD. JK
    kiz wrote:
    silverGPX wrote:This requires a thread? lol
    There's potential for a thread about anything on FTO Australia
    khunjeng
    Oldtimer

Post by khunjeng »

I can tell u the CE lancer is nothing compared to the FTO. My other half thought they were ok so we found a good one and she went for a drive.

Firts thing she noticed was how slow it was, second the options u get (or should I say lack of options) and finally the FTO looks way better for the money.

Sure u can mod it etc..but based on a stockie, maybe with some body kit and inside nice bits the FTO cannot be beaten by almost any of the imports/rice cars out there around the price.

IMO only the S15, and S2000 beat it for sheer looks and they cost double + so its not a fair comparision...get it - your wont be disapointed.

As for speed, not the fastest car but fro NA its good. the S2000 in comparision in stock form is only slightly faster however they are faster and I have draged a few stockies and only ever just been beaten.

So FTO it is...don't waste your time with a lancer - get some class man!
    FTO338
    Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Liquidity wrote:f*** it. FTO it probably is.

so long as its black, manual, lsd, with a sunroof, or i wont even bother. lol...so...might have quite some time to save before that pops up :P
    Only the GPvR comes with LSD and none of them comes with sunroof due to its a weight reduction model. Actually not many cars in the same price range comes with LSD.
    dstocks
    National Vice President

LSD

Post by dstocks »

LSD was an option though and it came standard on the Car of the year yellow GPXs (and before you correct me, no they arent black). Maybe a tough combo but not impossible.... Can always source an aftermarket LSD anyways.
    Complete FTO (http://www.completefto.com.au/completefto.asp)
      If you are trying to contact me and not getting a quick answer, its because im disorganised. Hassle me and ill get back to you