repost: fto front calipers

General Questions and comments

Moderators: IMC, Club Staff

wilbursr20
jedwabna poszewka promocja

repost: fto front calipers

Post by wilbursr20 »

Lost my original post but the crux of the message was:

Does anyone know if these fto's have twin or single spot front brake calipers.
Are they alloy or steel?
If they are twin, can someone please send me some photos of them including the mounting lugs on the inside?
What brake pads do they use? ie. readily available and the same as ***
What are the piston diametres.

Thanks Lindsay
wilbursr20

Post by wilbursr20 »

:? Disappointed that out of the 30 - 40 people that have viewed this post, either nobody knows any of the answers or can't be bothered answering, with the exception of the site moderator.
Anybody out there??
elmo
Grease Monkey

brakes

Post by elmo »

Well just so your not disappointed.....
I dont really know, cause i wasn't payin attention when we changed the disks.
Think they were twin piston, anyway have a look at workshop manual 2 pg 70ish.[/img]
wilbursr20

Post by wilbursr20 »

:D Thanks Elmo,
I don't have a workshop manual so if anyone could look up this info for me it would be appreciated.
elmo
Grease Monkey

Calipers

Post by elmo »

Can email the appropriate section to you if you give me adress. Otherwise download it from the UK or irish site
http://www.fto-ireland.com/downloads.html
Has got all the piston sizes and tolerances etc.
What are you planning to do?
wilbursr20

Post by wilbursr20 »

:D Thanks Elmo,
Could you please email me the appropiate info to lindsay.harrison@twr.com.au
I'm building up a 1980 LC Lancer with injection and a lot of suspension and brake mods. Need some good calipers for the front to suit the vented discs i'm using which are the same thickness and diametre as an fto. Would be nice to keep most parts of the car in the Mitsubishi family but not essential.
Lindsay.
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

sorry to hijack this thread, but will the GTO brakes fit on the FTO?? I think they are Brembos or something...
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Any brake can fit on FTO as long as u can get someone modify it! They r not Brembos, but r 4 piston, the piston on them r actually bigger then the Brembos. I was thinking doing the conversion before, but with the amount of trouble I have 2 go through, I rather change the rotors & pads.

Don't 4get, the GTO brake r mega heavy, so it does affect the way the FTO handle corner!!!

Ohhh yeah the FTO GPX & up use twin pistons at the front & single at rear, while GS & GR use single all round.
wilbursr20

Post by wilbursr20 »

FTO338,
You say that the GPX and up use twin piston calipers. Do YOU know for sure if they share these calipers with HH and HJ Galants as SMORRISON said previously.
FTO338
Oldtimer

Post by FTO338 »

Honestly i never look into which vechical use the same brakes as the FTO, so i don't know!

Sorry
elmo
Grease Monkey

Brakes

Post by elmo »

When I got my DBA slotted disks they said they were the same as the magna. I'd assume the calipers would be the same too, if this helps anyone, easiest way to check is see if they use same pads.
wilbursr20

Post by wilbursr20 »

Thanks Elmo,
I'll look into this Magna thingy, but my guess is that they probably use a single piston caliper because they're cheaper for a high volume family car.
Thanks to all that responded to this string.
Lindsay
dannyboyau
Veteran Mechanic

Post by dannyboyau »

i actually went through the pbr brake pad book to see if i could find the same pads and from memory they where a TR magna on the front and i think it was the CC lancer on the back

anyway if you can get hold of the PBR brake pad catolouge they are in there and do match with some australian mitsys

or it could have been the bendix catalouge
Last edited by dannyboyau on Thu May 15, 2003 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

yeap, experienced the same thing as elmo, Dba's fronts are same as magna's, also the pads from bendix are the same as magna's
wilbursr20

Post by wilbursr20 »

Rang a wrecker of Magnas yesterday. Found out that the Magnas with ABS use a twin piston front caliper, maybe the same as FTO. The piston sizes were dia. 36 which was perfect but they are steel (very heavy)
I've been looking at some pre 99 WRX twin pot calipers for some time now as they are alloy with dia. 36 , so I think I will probably end up going with these plus there are sure to be a large range of pads available for them.
Lindsay
GPXXX
Oldtimer

Post by GPXXX »

how about Evo VI+ brakes? I think they are just as strong (if not stronger than) GTO brakes, and from Evo V onwards they use Brembos.... I've heard some atrocious stories about Magna brakes, and i been told a lot of them uses ABS and the computer that runs them may not work on the non-ABS FTO, or something along those lines... Personally i don't see what the big deal is with Magna brakes to begin with- they're family cars after all! :P
Jono
Mechanic

Post by Jono »

yeah, well good thing fto is lighter, ive locked up my fto once, and it was when i crashed, once. :x i dont have abs aswell..... hmmmmmm
But they do feel decent on mine..
G1
Mechanic

Post by G1 »

wilbursr20 wrote:Rang a wrecker of Magnas yesterday. Found out that the Magnas with ABS use a twin piston front caliper, maybe the same as FTO. The piston sizes were dia. 36 which was perfect but they are steel (very heavy)
I've been looking at some pre 99 WRX twin pot calipers for some time now as they are alloy with dia. 36 , so I think I will probably end up going with these plus there are sure to be a large range of pads available for them.
Lindsay
I dunno how it compares to the 99 WRX, but a friend is getting rid of his front brakes from a 01 RS (twin pot) if youre interested...
wilbursr20

Post by wilbursr20 »

G1,
I was wrong about the WRX caliper being alloy. If felt like a boat anchor.
I'm now thinking about maybe a HSV Premium VT 4 spot rear caliper. Nice small pistons, light weight, attractive, have to see if I can make them fit though.
I'm thinking if i'm going to go to the effort of puting a new caliper on, I may as well put a good looking one on. :wink: (Those twin pots really only look the same as std anyway).
Thanks for the offer though.
Lindsay